Inside UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley's surreal offseason of celebration: 'I’ve enjoyed this' (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Inside UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley's surreal offseason of celebration: 'I’ve enjoyed this' (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
I love that he recognizes a need to feel youthful to be successful at the highest level. Doesn't sound like he'll make the same kind of mistake that Syracuse and JB allowed to happen. He seemingly leans more towards a "Jay Wright" type of mentality of being able to recognize his own feelings and how they apply to his current approach as well as the future of the ever-changing landscape of high level college basketball. He'll know when it's time to get out. I just hope he'll have the right guy waiting in the wings. Between Luke and Kimani, it seems like he's already got this covered and I can see either of those guys coming back when the time comes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I love that he acknowledged how frustrating it must feel to hear “you can’t coach” all the time. Especially when that term is in the job title.

Reaction Score
What, no comment on which transfer he may have been talking to??? You people are slipping.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He out coached guys like Few and Musselman and did a heck of job in rotations and play calling. The criticism was warranted as we saw the growing pains.
I don't buy this. He didn't become a better coach overnight. Having better players enabled him to display his chops.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't buy this. He didn't become a better coach overnight. Having better players enabled him to display his chops.
Coaches do develop and change or refuse to change over time. Adapting to your roster and changes to the ‘meta’ of the game is what makes the best floor coaches. I feel like we have it on good authority that Hurleys bounces ideas frequently off some of the best in the game, doing this over the course of years has probably made him a more nuanced coach.

Edit: But I will say, I do think you’re right he always had ‘It.’ You don’t make it this far, working up from high school and every lower level of D1, if you’re a ‘bad’ floor coach. It’s not a coincidence he’s left every school he’s taken over better than the way he found it.

Reaction Score
No mention of the coaching staff team that he assembled? Hurley did not do this by himself. He gets a lot of credit well deserved but it doesn't get done without all of the other coaches and we hear little about what all they do 24/7.

Reaction Score
Great players make above average coaches look really good.. DH is a student of the game.. He's recruiting guys that are aligned with his philosophies.. And it works like this year.. He created an environment for success..Nuff said..

He's evolving and "getting it" like his players and staff.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
No mention of the coaching staff team that he assembled? Hurley did not do this by himself. He gets a lot of credit well deserved but it doesn't get done without all of the other coaches and we hear little about what all they do 24/7.
He’d be the first to prop up his staff. Wasn’t the point of this article.

Reaction Score
If you watched the in game adjustments, substitutions, and offensive play sets they were genius. Yes you need players but damn the team blew everyone out the building!!!

Reaction Score
He out coached guys like Few and Musselman and did a heck of job in rotations and play calling. The criticism was warranted as we saw the growing pains. He now has the complete package.
You don't get a #3 offense and #7 defense without being able to coach.

Reaction Score
You don't get a #3 offense and #7 defense without being able to coach.
Hurley himself in plenty of interviews said he got better and criticism was warranted. Go listen to the Fan interview. Btw I did say he could coach and he got better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom