Inside The W with Michelle Smith: Returning Home | The Boneyard

Inside The W with Michelle Smith: Returning Home

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By Michelle Smith
May 10, 2017

Nneka Ogwumike, the WNBA’s Most Valuable Player in 2016, played her final game of the overseas season in Russia on May 1. The game tipped off at 6 p.m., in Kursk. By 9 p.m., Ogwumike was on a train, on the way back to the United States. Not that it was a very direct trip.

The train ride from Kursk to Moscow was seven hours. Followed by a three-hour flight to Frankfurt. Followed by a 10-hour flight home to Houston, where she was greeted at the airport by sister (and fellow WNBA player) Chiney on May 2. “It’s just nice to get to see my family,” Ogwumike said.

Brittney Griner played her last game in Russia on the same day. But she didn’t get out of Ekaterinburg until the next morning. Griner’s three-hour flight to Moscow was followed by a two-hour layover and then a 12-hour flight from Moscow to Los Angeles. Followed by another two-hour layover and a 90-minute flight to Phoenix.

[Rest of Story]

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“Credit to those girls who could stay home and when I have an opportunity at some point, I’m going to do the same thing as well,” Fowles said. “Physically and mentally, you have to get back in tune with who you are and the things you like to do. At some point in your career, you have to check yourself and figure out what’s important.”

Amen, Syl. Professionals in anything, who have to perform at a high level constantly, face these factors constantly, though what is being lost in the trade between profession and life is often overlooked until there is no more overlooking it

Reaction Score
Hopefully in the future these ladies make more money playing in th US and don't have to play in other countries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom