Inside the transfer portal: How past and future UConn men’s basketball players changed schools (Borges @ Hearst) | The Boneyard

Inside the transfer portal: How past and future UConn men’s basketball players changed schools (Borges @ Hearst)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great article.

Interesting quote from Sacred Heart transfer Tyler Thomas:

He enjoyed the portal process and believes it’s a good idea.

“Especially for one-time (transfers),” he said. “If you leave one time to another school, I feel like that should be your choice. If you transfer more than once, to me, you’re not sticking it out because you don’t get what you want.”

Reaction Score
Does anyone like reading their name in the paper more than Vin Pastore?
One of the most controlling, ego centric AAU coaches there is. I doubt we ever take another Mass Rivals kid. He doesnt get the talent he used to, so it wont be an issue.

Reaction Score
I got a paragraph in and I already like the article.

An ECU compliance officer enters Newton's name into the portal and "40 seconds later" he got a call.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What's the trick to reading these paywall things again? If I was local I'd just subscribe, but I'm not. Hell I'd even do the intro thing but not an auto-renew at $20 a month. Nope. The subscription model is broken, they need to figure out an ala carte option.

Reaction Score
I liked Matt Garry's motivation to transfer. He wanted to find a school with a one year MBA program. I'm also not sure if I'm understanding the following quote correctly.

"Garry never received any communication from the staff about returning, but that was fine with him"

Does that mean Garry entered the portal without ever talking to the UCONN staff and the UCONN staff never contacted him after he entered his name? I know he's a walk-on, but c'mon UCONN staff. Give him a call, have a drink with him.... tell him thanks for all his effort at the very least. Hopefully they read this article and do exactly that. If they have not already.

Reaction Score
Hell I'd even do the intro thing but not an auto-renew at $20 a month. Nope. The subscription model is broken, they need to figure out an ala carte option.
Agree. Hate the auto-renew thing.

Reaction Score
Anyone skeptical about the transfer portal and it's benefits for the students should read this article. Obviously it doesn't cover every athlete transferring, but it appears to be a honest effort to understand the transfer portal at all levels. What happens for bigger name players that demand lots of interest and what happens to walk-ons and smaller school players.

It's totally possible the portal becomes corrupt as the big money schools game the system, but so far it seems to be working out for the athletes. It never crossed my mind that a walk-on would use the portal to find an MBA program of his choosing. If that's not what student athlete is about, I'm not sure what is.

Reaction Score
What's the trick to reading these paywall things again? If I was local I'd just subscribe, but I'm not. Hell I'd even do the intro thing but not an auto-renew at $20 a month. Nope. The subscription model is broken, they need to figure out an ala carte option.

I've tried to subscribe to this and the Courant but they don't sync with PayPal, Venmo, etc. It's nuts

Reaction Score
I've tried to subscribe to this and the Courant but they don't sync with PayPal, Venmo, etc. It's nuts
Ever hear of a credit/debit card? Those work

Reaction Score
Ever hear of a credit/debit card? Those work

Yeah but it's kind of a PIA to whip on the CC, type out all the numbers etc. It's a lot easier, quicker and a better user experience to just sync with one of the many payment apps.

Reactions: DCT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco