Inside the NCAA's Attempt to Save the Tourney | The Boneyard

Inside the NCAA's Attempt to Save the Tourney

Reaction Score
Sheesh just cancel it already. It's going to get worse before it gets better. There are already calls to limit or halt travel in the US to states hit hardest by the virus. How is the top 16 in a tourney fair? Especially on the men's side given the plethora of upsets that occur during the tourney. Could they even play the games in front of ANY fans?

The NBA has suspended the season indefinitely. MLB has postponed everything. I don't see the WNBA season being played this year. Tennis has halted and cancelled tournaments (the "5th grand slam" in Indian Wells was already cancelled). Pro golf just canceled a masters tournament. It makes no sense to me, but then again it's the NCAA. :rolleyes:
Did you read the article? Maybe I missed something that led you to believe that the tournaments had not been cancelled. The article simply details the lengths to which the NCAA considered in lieu of a complete cancellation. I appreciate the extra efforts that were considered before the plugged was pulled. Based upon the info that was available at that time, it wasn't apparent that the tourney without fans couldn't go on.

Reaction Score
Sheesh just cancel it already. It's going to get worse before it gets better. There are already calls to limit or halt travel in the US to states hit hardest by the virus. How is the top 16 in a tourney fair? Especially on the men's side given the plethora of upsets that occur during the tourney. Could they even play the games in front of ANY fans?

The NBA has suspended the season indefinitely. MLB has postponed everything. I don't see the WNBA season being played this year. Tennis has halted and cancelled tournaments (the "5th grand slam" in Indian Wells was already cancelled). Pro golf just canceled a masters tournament. It makes no sense to me, but then again it's the NCAA. :rolleyes:
The Masters was postponed not cancelled.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
As have other sports, MLB, NASCAR to name 2. I think that the NBA was quick to cancel because they were pretty sure that at least one player might have the virus and that was eventually confirmed. In hindsight, their action was correct.

Edit: the NBA has only postponed the season at this point. I actually thought that it was cancelled.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Think of the logistics of trying to get it scheduled with all the golfers committed to other tournaments! Doubtful it could happen. I think the "postpone" is an unrealistically optimistic expression but I can't see any real way they can play the tournament.

Reaction Score
Think of the logistics of trying to get it scheduled with all the golfers committed to other tournaments! Doubtful it could happen. I think the "postpone" is an unrealistically optimistic expression but I can't see any real way they can play the tournament.

Golf should be the easiest sport to keep going. Play it without the gallery, and there’s no reason to get closer than 6 feet to your opponents.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Golf should be the easiest sport to keep going. Play it without the gallery, and there’s no reason to get closer than 6 feet to your opponents.
It's not the golfers playing, its the ability to get them back in Georgia all at the same time; I would expect they all have contractual responsibilities to play in many of the other tournaments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There has been some discussions various DFS (Daily Fantasy Sports) golf podcasts about how golf should've never stopped. Once the NBA postponed their season, most of the active sports fell in a line.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom