OT: - Inguinal Hernia Surgery | The Boneyard

OT: Inguinal Hernia Surgery

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My surgery is scheduled for Monday 8/19. Who has experience and what to expect in terms of pain, discomfort, recovery timing, limitations, etc?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My surgery is scheduled for Monday 8/19. Who has experience and what to expect in terms of pain, discomfort, recovery timing, limitations, etc?

The pain is tough the first couple of days when you try to sit up from laying down or getting up and out of a chair if it sits low. You will have to be careful for a few weeks and no funny stuff for a month or so.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I have no first-hand advice.

But I googled it because who needs med school now that we have the internet.

Recovery time is anywhere from one to 72 months. I could probably perform the surgery with a stapler and some tape, but I can't find my stapler and the guy who buries my mistakes is on vacation in the DR this week. Plus, I'm on vacation.

Good luck!

Reaction Score
Day two is the worst in regards to pain, getting around, etc. It's really not too bad, just uncomfortable. Worst part, BY FAR, is that the meds they give you (take them!) back you up immensely. And in order to clear yourself out, you need to use the muscles they just cut open. I highly recommend taking whatever precautions you need to make that experience easier. A tablespoon of olive oil before bed each night was a godsend for me.

Reaction Score
I had the surgery. Agree that day 2 was by far worse than day one. More of being uncomfortable than true pain. I stayed put as much as possible. My girlfriend on the day following surgery played nurse at home and gave me a sponge bath. One thing led to another and although I was told to lay low for a week it lasted a day. It was not any worse than standing up and way more pleasurable.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I had mine done laparoscopic. The pain is bad but not unbearable you’ll be fine though. Take the medicine and relax

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had one sewn up around 2005 or so. I had been walking around with it for a few years before I had anything done.

I don't remember anything remarkable about the procedure but I'm positive I followed doctor's order for rest before trying physical activity.

About 4-5 years ago had to have it redone and again nothing remarkable in terms of pain or recovery.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'll delete this later, but though you should know what you're in for.

View attachment 45603
Duly noted, safe to delete.

I have some books and furniture to move from my sister's garage before month's end.

I am capable of doing the work now, but am I correct that after the 19th I'm done for the month and therefore have to be productive & complete my work over the next few days?

During my first two weeks, will I be able to drive to either local beach or live music outdoors?

Will I be able to play the piano?

Reaction Score

I have some books and furniture to move from my sister's garage before month's end.

I am capable of doing the work now, but am I correct that after the 19th I'm done for the month and therefore have to be productive & complete my work over the next few days?

During my first two weeks, will I be able to drive to either local beach or live music outdoors?

You're not going to want to do anything super strenuous for a bit. Although, I was able to lift my then 30lb daughter out of the bathtub. I think they said hold off on driving for a week or so. If you had to brake hard, you could tear it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You're not going to want to do anything super strenuous for a bit. Although, I was able to lift my then 30lb daughter out of the bathtub. I think they said hold off on driving for a week or so. If you had to brake hard, you could tear it.
Thanks (not really) for that final sentence. That's the most real world I've gotten so far.

Not happy with the info, but it's helpful. I have a Friday doctor appt and if I get to Black Rock Porchfest on Saturday, I'll have to choose wisely where I watch. I'm assuming throughout that "I'll know" what I can & can't do.

I'm very grateful that I'm feeling fit and strong going into this.

Reaction Score

I rode my John Deere mower about five days after I had my surgery. No lifting. Just riding. About an acre of land and afterwards regretted that I ever did it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Do you play now, or were you hoping that this would be a benefit of the surgery?
Someone earlier said "no funny stuff," so I figured I'd get this essential & eternal question out of the way, more shtick than dad joke, something I ask regarding anyone after surgery, with never an interest in the literal answer to the question.

Isn't laughter supposed to be the best medicine?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Someone earlier said "no funny stuff," so I figured I'd get this essential & eternal question out of the way, more shtick than dad joke, something I ask regarding anyone after surgery, with never an interest in the literal answer to the question.

Isn't laughter supposed to be the best medicine?
Lighten up, Francis.

Reaction Score

Are you having both sides done, or just the left side?

Reaction Score
Most of my pain was from the bandage pulling on the skin. It was really not bad at all. I never use pain meds.
A side note to my hernia surgery is it not only stopped the pain I felt from walking (,concrete floors were the worst.) , but it cured the Tendonitis of my right wrist . That had bothered me for at least six months Nothing helped even wearing a brace
I was off my laptop for a week during recovery from surgery and miraculously that rest was enough to help my painful wrist.
It’s amazing what your body can do if given a chance.
So just rest for a weak and let your body do it’s job.

Last edited:

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
The pain scale is relative but it was the worst I've had in a long time. (Shoulder separation some 30 years ago was as bad) Blinding seeing red spots pain post surgery, before I could take pain meds, and waiting for taxi home. I was not a happy camper. However, I was walking two days after the procedure and relatively pain free. No lifting, no driving (using foot pedals is unwise) no climbing stairs 2 at a time.
Biggest complication I feared (and I work in a research hospital, doing research!) post operative infection. Keep the dressing clean, dry, and intact. This can come so fast, so hard, and with such dire consequences that it cannot be overstated how important that it is to follow those simple steps. Especially if you have pets or children in the home. (Vectors/reservoirs for bacteria)
And yes, opioid medication causes constipation.
Oh it was in-n-out the same day, arrive at 9a, get prepped, under knife at 1p, back on the street at 4p.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Just had double inguinal hernia surgery on June 28th. Laproscopic surgery they go into the belly button with a tube blow you up with air and then make two small incisions below the navel to put the two pieces of mesh in. I went into surgery at 730 and was in recovery by 830 and awake by 10. No pain to speak of more like cramps. My wife says now you know what we women experience once a month! They will not send you home until you urinate 200 cc which I did around 1 pm. I was home by 2. They sent me home with a 3 day prescription of Percocets of which I took 2 then switched to 800 mg Advil which has always been my preferred pain med. Opioids cause constipation and that was what I was most worried about - taking that first post-op constitution. I did take a stool softener and after 2 days everything was fine. I was restricted from lifting and golf. I also couldn't get the incisions wet beyond a shower for 2 weeks (no swimming). After 4 days I took my PW and putter and went over to the golf course and worked on my short game. After 10 days I went out and played 150 yds in and then after two weeks I played 9 holes without my driver. The next day I played another 18 and barely made it through the round as I was exhausted but no pain! This week we went out on a tuna trip and while I had no trouble reeling in multiple mackerel I didn't feel I was up to participating in reeling in the 150 pound tuna we boated! I am enjoying the fruits of my buddies' labor though!

All in all it was a great experience much better than strangulating a piece of your intestine and having to go into emergency surgery!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Thanks (not really) for that final sentence. That's the most real world I've gotten so far.

Not happy with the info, but it's helpful. I have a Friday doctor appt and if I get to Black Rock Porchfest on Saturday, I'll have to choose wisely where I watch. I'm assuming throughout that "I'll know" what I can & can't do.

I'm very grateful that I'm feeling fit and strong going into this.
I couldn't drive for however long I was on Percocets. Other than that I had no trouble driving. I think the driving restriction might pertain to the non-laproscopic hernia surgery.

Reaction Score
Make sure you post your operative report and your analysis of your surgeon’s syntactic and semantic errors

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom