Indiana Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Indiana (3-0)
#65 in KenPom

Last year’s stat highlights:
  • 40th in FG% (53.5 FG%)
  • 48th in offensive tempo
  • 78th in turnover prevention
  • Only 26.6% of their FGAs were from three (9th lowest)
  • 8th in slowest defensive tempo (18.7 seconds/possession)
  • 20th in opp. 2P% (45.4 2P%)

This year’s stat highlights:
  • 10th in 2P% (64.2%)
  • 6th in FTA/FGA ratio (56.4%)
  • 11th in FTA/FGA prevention (16.8%)
  • 21st in block rate
  • 39th in opp. 2P% (41.9%)
  • 350th and 290th in 3PA/FGA and opp. 3P%, respectively

Season so far:
  • 69-63 W over FGCU (KP 135)
  • 72-64 W over Army (KP 325)
  • 89-80W over Wright State (KP 158)

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Scoring Point Guard - Xavier Johnson 6’3 200 6th YR grad
  • 14.0p, 2.7r, 2.3a, 0.3a, 5.0 FTA, 80 FT%, 4-8 from 3, 50 FG%, 0.3s, 30.3 mpg

Versatile two-way spacing guard - Trey Gallowoay 6’5 205 senior
  • 12.0p, 3.7a, 2-7 from 3 this year, 46.2 3P% last year, 0.7s, 31.7 mpg

Two-way shot creator - Mackenzie Mgbako 6’8 217 freshman
  • 6.3p, 3.3r, 1.0s, 1-9 from 3, 19 mpg

Facilitating Power Forward - Malik Reneau 6’9 233 sophomore
  • 15.0p, 5.3r, 4.0a, 1.3b, 5.3 FTA (career 67.7 FT%), 0-3 from 3, 58.1 FG%, 30.7 mpg

Versatile Big - Kel’el Ware 7’0 242 sophomore
  • 18.3p, 10.0r, 2.3a, 2.0b, 6.7 FTA, 70 FT%, 74.1 FG%, 33.3 3P% (1 3PA per game),
33 mpg

HIGHLY USED BENCH PIECES:

Gabe Cupps 6’2 172 freshman
  • 3.3p, 2.0r, 0.3a, 3-8 FG, 2-3 from 3
  • Steady backup point guard -

BENCH DEPTH: 8-11 mpg

Anthony Walker 6’8 215 grad transfer (transfer from Miami)
  • Veteran backup forward
  • Plays anywhere from the 3 to the 5

CJ Gunn 6’5 175 sophomore
  • Wing w/ physical upside, but still learning the game

Payton Sparks 6’10 258 junior
  • Physical backup big who can run the floor
  • transfer from Ball State (13.3p, 8.8r, 1.9a, 0.9b)

Kaleb Banks 6’8 220
  • Athletic, physical forward who is best used in transition and catch-and-shoot situations.
  • Turnover prone
Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 12.50.13 PM.png

Now entering the third year of the Mike Woodson era, Trey Galloway remains as the only player from the Archie Miller era. Under Woodson, Indiana has prioritized skill and shooting, and the makeup of this roster is evident of that.

The biggest question entering this offseason was how the program would adjust following the graduation of Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana’s career record holder in rebounds and blocked shots.

The headliner of their frontcourt haul is Oregon sophomore transfer Kel’el Ware, who scored 18 points, 9 rebounds and 2 three-pointers against UConn in the first round of the Phil Knight Invitational. The former McDonald’s All-American and top-ten prospect of the 2022 class, Ware has gained 32 pounds since his freshman season, a feat that should help quell one of the biggest concerns of his game entering this season: toughness and motor. Ware’s one of the most talented big men in the country, so if he can prove his motor, grit and drive, then he could be a lottery pick in next year’s draft. So far, he’s fit in very well and has taken a major step in his development.

Another sophomore frontcourt weapon who has taken a major step is Malik Reneau. A high-IQ offensive weapon is a natural scorer from inside the arc and a creative distributor. Last year, his biggest issue was that he was foul happy (6.8 fouls/40), so his 1.7 fouls-per-game this year has kept him on the court. The next steps in his development are his perimeter shooting and comfort in pick-and-roll settings.

There is high hope for top-ten recruit and Duke decommit Mackenzie Mgbako to make an impact at Indiana. The Roselle Catholic alum has lottery pick potential thanks to his perimeter shooting, physical gifts, toughness and ability to work in the post, however he’s yet to look comfortable in the college game.

The new-look Indiana starting frontcourt brings a ton of size, skill and potential. As a unit, they are raw, and it wouldn’t surprise me, like Oregon last year, if Indiana ends the season as one of the more exciting frontcourts in the nation.

Indiana’s backcourt, in comparison, lacks firepower. Sixth-year returnee Xavier Johnson earned a waiver to play this season after suiting up for only eleven of the first games last year. With last year’s freshman sensation Jalen Hood-Schifino gone after his first round selection, Johnson is primed to finish this year as his most productive at Indiana, but he has yet to replicate the volume he received at Pitt. Overall, Johnson excels in the pick-and-roll, and does a nice job creating offense for himself and his teammates. Solid defender.

Trey Galloway, the only full-time returning starter from last year, usually defends opponents’ best ball-handler and is a pain in the butt to play against. Uber-competitve and he keeps getting stronger. I’m curious who Woodson matches him up against: my guess is Newton.

Freshman Gabe Cupps was Ohio’s 2022 Mr. Basketball award winner. A lean, but strong guard for his size, Cupps plays of the bench, mostly in place of Mgbako, which then builds up smaller lineups with Cupps, Johnson and Galloway in the backcourt.

Obviously, Indiana is the best team we’ve played so far, but according to KenPom and BarTovik, they rank as a lower-level at-large bid tournament team, ranking amongst the middle of the pack of the Big East. Overall, however, I've been surprised they weren't able to beat FGCU, Army or Wright State by double-digits.

A very quality matchup for sure: their size is significant, but we match up well.

Can’t wait to be in the Garden on Sunday!

Reaction Score
There may be a chance that IU won't have Xavier Johnson available on Sunday either. Watching their game last night, he went down late in the second half with what I initially thought was a leg injury, but Twitter is now calling an ankle injury. I haven't seen much news about it yet but he looked visibly in pain on the sideline after the win.

Obviously, assume he's playing until we're told otherwise (and I hope he's healthy this season regardless of our game), but could both teams be missing a starting guard on Sunday? It's possible.

Reaction Score
My new main fear in this matchup is that Mgbako hasn't looked good yet, but we have basically nobody to guard him without Castle. Ball and Spencer give up 4-5 inches. Newton gives up 20 lbs and a few inches.

But maybe he's just not that good? The midmjaors didn't have anybody to guard him either. He was much more assertive in their last game. Got to the line a bunch, but 1-7 from 3. But I can just see this being the game he goes 4/6 from 3 and has 8 FTs.

A lot with this matchup comes down to "Well I guess we'll just outscore them."

Reaction Score
My new main fear in this matchup is that Mgbako hasn't looked good yet, but we have basically nobody to guard him without Castle. Ball and Spencer give up 4-5 inches. Newton gives up 20 lbs and a few inches.

But maybe he's just not that good? The midmjaors didn't have anybody to guard him either. He was much more assertive in their last game. Got to the line a bunch, but 1-7 from 3. But I can just see this being the game he goes 4/6 from 3 and has 8 FTs.

Ross is probably best matchup defensively.

Reaction Score
Indiana (3-0)
#65 in KenPom

Last year’s stat highlights:
  • 40th in FG% (53.5 FG%)
  • 48th in offensive tempo
  • 78th in turnover prevention
  • Only 26.6% of their FGAs were from three (9th lowest)
  • 8th in slowest defensive tempo (18.7 seconds/possession)
  • 20th in opp. 2P% (45.4 2P%)

This year’s stat highlights:
  • 10th in 2P% (64.2%)
  • 6th in FTA/FGA ratio (56.4%)
  • 11th in FTA/FGA prevention (16.8%)
  • 21st in block rate
  • 39th in opp. 2P% (41.9%)
  • 350th and 290th in 3PA/FGA and opp. 3P%, respectively

Season so far:
  • 69-63 W over FGCU (KP 135)
  • 72-64 W over Army (KP 325)
  • 89-80W over Wright State (KP 158)

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Scoring Point Guard - Xavier Johnson 6’3 200 6th YR grad
  • 14.0p, 2.7r, 2.3a, 0.3a, 5.0 FTA, 80 FT%, 4-8 from 3, 50 FG%, 0.3s, 30.3 mpg

Versatile two-way spacing guard - Trey Gallowoay 6’5 205 senior
  • 12.0p, 3.7a, 2-7 from 3 this year, 46.2 3P% last year, 0.7s, 31.7 mpg

Two-way shot creator - Mackenzie Mgbako 6’8 217 freshman
  • 6.3p, 3.3r, 1.0s, 1-9 from 3, 19 mpg

Facilitating Power Forward - Malik Reneau 6’9 233 sophomore
  • 15.0p, 5.3r, 4.0a, 1.3b, 5.3 FTA (career 67.7 FT%), 0-3 from 3, 58.1 FG%, 30.7 mpg

Versatile Big - Kel’el Ware 7’0 242 sophomore
  • 18.3p, 10.0r, 2.3a, 2.0b, 6.7 FTA, 70 FT%, 74.1 FG%, 33.3 3P% (1 3PA per game),
33 mpg

HIGHLY USED BENCH PIECES:

Gabe Cupps 6’2 172 freshman
  • 3.3p, 2.0r, 0.3a, 3-8 FG, 2-3 from 3
  • Steady backup point guard -

BENCH DEPTH: 8-11 mpg

Anthony Walker 6’8 215 grad transfer (transfer from Miami)
  • Veteran backup forward
  • Plays anywhere from the 3 to the 5

CJ Gunn 6’5 175 sophomore
  • Wing w/ physical upside, but still learning the game

Payton Sparks 6’10 258 junior
  • Physical backup big who can run the floor
  • transfer from Ball State (13.3p, 8.8r, 1.9a, 0.9b)

Kaleb Banks 6’8 220
  • Athletic, physical forward who is best used in transition and catch-and-shoot situations.
  • Turnover prone
View attachment 93142

Now entering the third year of the Mike Woodson era, Trey Galloway remains as the only player from the Archie Miller era. Under Woodson, Indiana has prioritized skill and shooting, and the makeup of this roster is evident of that.

The biggest question entering this offseason was how the program would adjust following the graduation of Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana’s career record holder in rebounds and blocked shots.

The headliner of their frontcourt haul is Oregon sophomore transfer Kel’el Ware, who scored 18 points, 9 rebounds and 2 three-pointers against UConn in the first round of the Phil Knight Invitational. The former McDonald’s All-American and top-ten prospect of the 2022 class, Ware has gained 32 pounds since his freshman season, a feat that should help quell one of the biggest concerns of his game entering this season: toughness and motor. Ware’s one of the most talented big men in the country, so if he can prove his motor, grit and drive, then he could be a lottery pick in next year’s draft. So far, he’s fit in very well and has taken a major step in his development.

Another sophomore frontcourt weapon who has taken a major step is Malik Reneau. A high-IQ offensive weapon is a natural scorer from inside the arc and a creative distributor. Last year, his biggest issue was that he was foul happy (6.8 fouls/40), so his 1.7 fouls-per-game this year has kept him on the court. The next steps in his development are his perimeter shooting and comfort in pick-and-roll settings.

There is high hope for top-ten recruit and Duke decommit Mackenzie Mgbako to make an impact at Indiana. The Roselle Catholic alum has lottery pick potential thanks to his perimeter shooting, physical gifts, toughness and ability to work in the post, however he’s yet to look comfortable in the college game.

The new-look Indiana starting frontcourt brings a ton of size, skill and potential. As a unit, they are raw, and it wouldn’t surprise me, like Oregon last year, if Indiana ends the season as one of the more exciting frontcourts in the nation.

Indiana’s backcourt, in comparison, lacks firepower. Sixth-year returnee Xavier Johnson earned a waiver to play this season after suiting up for only eleven of the first games last year. With last year’s freshman sensation Jalen Hood-Schifino gone after his first round selection, Johnson is primed to finish this year as his most productive at Indiana, but he has yet to replicate the volume he received at Pitt. Overall, Johnson excels in the pick-and-roll, and does a nice job creating offense for himself and his teammates. Solid defender.

Trey Galloway, the only full-time returning starter from last year, usually defends opponents’ best ball-handler and is a pain in the butt to play against. Uber-competitve and he keeps getting stronger. I’m curious who Woodson matches him up against: my guess is Newton.

Freshman Gabe Cupps was Ohio’s 2022 Mr. Basketball award winner. A lean, but strong guard for his size, Cupps plays of the bench, mostly in place of Mgbako, which then builds up smaller lineups with Cupps, Johnson and Galloway in the backcourt.

Obviously, Indiana is the best team we’ve played so far, but according to KenPom and BarTovik, they rank as a lower-level at-large bid tournament team, ranking amongst the middle of the pack of the Big East. Overall, however, I've been surprised they weren't able to beat FGCU, Army or Wright State by double-digits.

A very quality matchup for sure: their size is significant, but we match up well.

Can’t wait to be in the Garden on Sunday!
I can never get enough of these scouting reports. Could you remind me again what websites you use put together these great reports?

Reaction Score
Ross is probably best matchup defensively.
Agreed. Especially because Mgbako hasn't been very assertive in a couple of games so far. Ross sticks pretty well off ball and isn't over aggressive, so he's not giving him any mistakes or openings. A nice solid defender might be the right recipe to just take him out.

But that's a big downgrade tradeoff offensively. Certainly somewhere to turn if we can't seem to stop him with other starters.

Reaction Score
I seen them play once this season and their big is a talented kid but he is softer than baby poo. Bully him a bit and he`ll fold. Clingan needs to go after him with that intensity he has on full display and its a wrap.

Reaction Score
I can never get enough of these scouting reports. Could you remind me again what websites you use put together these great reports?
More like, what websites use my reports to put together their content? ;)

Shout out to KenPom, Blue Ribbon Preview, The Almanac, Basketball Reference, EvanMiya and of course my own watching experience, first-hand sources if I've got any. For example, my boss's husband is a massive Indiana fan and provided me some nice intel on Galloway, Reneau.

Reaction Score

Not sure Mgbako has the skill level right now to exploit a mismatch right now. He's got an NBA body but not the skills or IQ. T

This isn't HS where you can get by being bigger and stronger. We have an elite defensive scheme that takes a high skill level to overcome consistently.

Reaction Score
Kel'el Ware put up 18 pts and 9 rebounds on 75% shooting against us while he was with Oregon last year. He is VERY good. I think if we can limit his effectiveness, we should be able to control the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom