Incredible play design and execution for the late Polley corner 3 | The Boneyard

Incredible play design and execution for the late Polley corner 3

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Man... if you want to share there are other sites for that!

Great breakdown!

Reaction Score
Pretty sure this was the same play.. After making the shot and starting upcourt..DH gave Tyler Phommachanh a low -five on the way by the bench.. Cool exchange between a coach and his player..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gaffneys reaction is my favorite. He's already turned his back to the shot and begun high stepping before it went in.

Reaction Score
Watching this unfold was gorgeous. I was 100% sure they were trying to get the ball to Bouk (who times his run perfectly with the initial pass).

Helped that Ty hit the shot, too

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Great video. Note how Whaley pins his man also. A true team effort, well planned and well executed, on that play.

Reaction Score
Great video. Note how Whaley pins his man also. A true team effort, well planned and well executed, on that play.
Execution was flawless with many moving parts.. Could have broken down very easily because of that..Keep it in the playbook.

Reaction Score
100%. Refreshing to see real screens get set again. Fundamentals matter to get shots off

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So what happens on Saturday when Butler figures out how to close out on Polley? What is the next iteration o that play?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That overplay by the defense would lead to having Whaley with an open lane to the basket.

You mean Polley?

Polley did have a nice pump fake and layup from the left corner and a pump fake and 10' runner in the second half. He seems to play it slow and one step at a time going to the basket after the pump fake which is good to prevent him from getting called for a charge when the defense rotates.

I don't think Polley has it in his game, but I'd bust a nut if he was able to pump fake, start to drive and throw a an alley oop to Whaley, Bouk or Martin as they come down the lane or weak side before the defense can reset.

Reaction Score
So glad someone got this clip, I have wanted to draw this X's and O's wise to put in my bag of tricks.

For other basketball coaches out there, does anyone use Fastmodel Sports?

I don't see the point in paying for the actual app to draw the plays and whatnot, I'm a pencil and paper guy, but their X's and O's database is THICCCC

Reaction Score
Just watched the clip again, such a great breakdown, I'm gonna attempt to draw this tonight, take a picture, and upload

Reaction Score
You mean Polley?

Polley did have a nice pump fake and layup from the left corner and a pump fake and 10' runner in the second half. He seems to play it slow and one step at a time going to the basket after the pump fake which is good to prevent him from getting called for a charge when the defense rotates.

I don't think Polley has it in his game, but I'd bust a nut if he was able to pump fake, start to drive and throw a an alley oop to Whaley, Bouk or Martin as they come down the lane or weak side before the defense can reset.
No, for the defense to deny the Polley 3, the defense would have had to overextended and that would have left Whaley open.

Reaction Score
Screen-the-screener will always be the GOAT basketball concept. Not often you see the guy coming off the initial screen set the second screen though. Neat wrinkle.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
So what happens on Saturday when Butler figures out how to close out on Polley? What is the next iteration o that play?

Enquiring minds want to know.
If Polley's hot, that play will still work. If Bouk is hot, it will work even better.

Reaction Score
What makes it really great is that it is Bouk setting the screen. Even though he was banged up and having a subpar game, you still have to respect his game. You think he's going to come hard and curl around Polley and the defense has to respect that.
Also, I said it in another post, I give Bouk credit. We have all seen players who wouldn't sell the play like he did and would have a set a half-hearted screen, especially when they were already a little beat up.

Finally, I love Polley's release. I could watch him shoot all day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom