Inbounding The Ball Question | The Boneyard

Inbounding The Ball Question

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
When a player is inbounding the ball after a violation, does the player have to keep a pivot foot stationary or can they move? When I was a youngster decades ago, you had to stand still or at least keep one foot in a spot.
In today's game it appears that they can move both of their feet before throwing in the ball. A prime example of this is Lou, she has a hard time keeping her feet stationary when she is inbounding the ball.

Reaction Score
The I know of, the only time a player is able to move outta bounds is after a made field goal. My daughter played a team where the girl moved outta bounds and was called for traveling. She had no idea why

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The I know of, the only time a player is able to move outta bounds is after a made field goal. My daughter played a team where the girl moved outta bounds and was called for traveling. She had no idea why

I believe you can move one foot (pivot), but not both. You're correct. The only time you can run across the baseline to inbound the ball is AFTER a made basket. Any other time you move from the spot the referee designates you to stand to inbound the ball, will be a "traveling out of bounds" violation, and a turnover. This also applies to inbounding the ball on the sidelines. This is a rule that should be learned EARLY in youth basketball play.

Reaction Score
When a player is inbounding the ball after a violation, does the player have to keep a pivot foot stationary or can they move? When I was a youngster decades ago, you had to stand still or at least keep one foot in a spot.
In today's game it appears that they can move both of their feet before throwing in the ball. A prime example of this is Lou, she has a hard time keeping her feet stationary when she is inbounding the ball.

You do not have to keep a pivot foot stationary. On the inbounds play, there is an imaginary zone 3 feet wide (and back as far as the stands) when the player is handed the ball. The player just has to keep one foot within that imaginary zone. Can move the feet as much as desired. There is NO pivot foot requirement.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I believe you can move one foot (pivot), but not both. You're correct. The only time you can run across the baseline to inbound the ball is AFTER a made basket. Any other time you move from the spot the referee designates you to stand to inbound the ball, will be a "traveling out of bounds" violation, and a turnover. This also applies to inbounding the ball on the sidelines. This is a rule that should be learned EARLY in youth basketball play.
I saw this called this season against the opposing team, I believe it was either MSU or Nevada. The player seemed quite surprised by the call.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You do not have to keep a pivot foot stationary. On the inbounds play, there is an imaginary zone 3 feet wide (and back as far as the stands) when the player is handed the ball. The player just has to keep one foot within that imaginary zone. Can move the feet as much as desired. There is NO pivot foot requirement.
This is correct. One of the most misunderstood rules in basketball:

9) A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throw in, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot, it is a violation, not traveling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. It is impossible to travel while out of bounds.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The announcers said this was because it was a spotted ball -- i. e., the ball had gone out of bounds and needed to be thrown in (as Plebe's post said) near where it went out.

My question is, it was asserted above that it's only after a basket that one is allowed to move freely. I thought a ball was only spotted on the baseline if it went out of bounds, that is, not after a foul, 24-second violation, etc. Anyone with a rule book know which is correct?

TIA
Where to Spot the Ball

Be vigilant in visualizing your “Inbound Triangle” for determining throw in spots for non-shooting fouls in the offensive team’s front court.
Did the foul occur inside your imaginary lines running from the free throw line elbows to the end line corners, or at the top of the key?
If so, the throw in spot will be on the endline.
If the foul took place outside the imaginary lines, then the spot throw in will take place on the sideline.
InboundTriangle.png

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Oops! I found the answer and deleted my post.

Thanks for your answer, Plebe, it was more complete than I'd found.

Reaction Score

I saw this called this season against the opposing team, I believe it was either MSU or Nevada. The player seemed quite surprised by the call.

Note that what you saw called was a violation, not traveling. There is no pivot foot on an inbounds play, as noted above. The only requirement is that the player keep one foot within a 3-foot wide zone that extends back as far as the stands.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And we've noticed in some games this year it appears not be part of some players basketball lexicon.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Note that what you saw called was a violation, not traveling. There is no pivot foot on an inbounds play, as noted above. The only requirement is that the player keep one foot within a 3-foot wide zone that extends back as far as the stands.

Thanks for the clarification. I hedged my answer by saying "I believe", I was not 100% sure. It's been a while since I played organized BB. That rule was always a little fuzzy. We were simply taught not to move from the spot the ref pointed to when inbounding the ball in that type of situation, and we didn't.

I never received any detailed explanation beyond that. I don't believe I ever violated the rule. "Traveling out of bounds" is what we referred to this type of violation as. That may not have been the terminology used in other parts of the country, but it was used on the teams I played on, and in our local area. We had to call it something, THAT was the term that was used. When that term was used, EVERYONE understood the violation being referred to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score

It would be interesting to poll a few hundred basketball players (both genders) at various levels to see HOW MANY of them understand this rule exactly as you have explained it. I'll bet not many. I sure didn't know about the 3 foot wide zone that extended back to the stands.

Carnac

Reaction Score
cropped-Ref60NewLogo.png

I think this is a site some of us might want to keep handy. It might help us understand some of the calls refs make that we think are wrong. Thanks Plebe.

[LINK]

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to poll a few hundred basketball players (both genders) at various levels to see HOW MANY of them understand this rule exactly as you have explained it./QUOTE]

How about we poll coaches, who are supposed to teach'em the game? ;-)

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to poll a few hundred basketball players (both genders) at various levels to see HOW MANY of them understand this rule exactly as you have explained it. I'll bet not many. I sure didn't know about the 3 foot wide zone that extended back to the stands.

I don't know if they all know the exact rule, but most HS players and almost all college players know they can move both feet as long as they stay in the general area where they get the ball. They may not know the exact width of the area - although most refs aren't going to call a violation if they move an extra six inches anyway.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
This is correct. One of the most misunderstood rules in basketball:

9) A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throw in, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot, it is a violation, not traveling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. It is impossible to travel while out of bounds.
Not to beat a dead horse but with 3.2 seconds left in the second quarter of the UConn/Duquesne game of the second round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament, the Duquesne player was inbounding a spot violation ball, ran the baseline and the ref called traveling. UConn got the ball and Stewie scored on the inbound to make the half time score 42-21, Good Guys.

So I guess if a referee cannot call traveling for a inbound violation then this just goes to show that the refs aren't always right in their calls.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse but with 3.2 seconds left in the second quarter of the UConn/Duquesne game of the second round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament, the Duquesne player was inbounding a spot violation ball, ran the baseline and the ref called traveling. UConn got the ball and Stewie scored on the inbound to make the half time score 42-21, Good Guys.

So I guess if a referee cannot call traveling for a inbound violation then this just goes to show that the refs aren't always right in their calls.
It was the right call but the wrong mechanic.

Reaction Score
It was the right call but the wrong mechanic.

Correct. One problem is that it doesn't appear there is a signal in the rulebook for this violation. Some refs will point to the spot and then use a sweeping hand motion to indicate that the player moved from the area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom