In WBB, is a Short Bench an Advantage? | The Boneyard

In WBB, is a Short Bench an Advantage?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno has usually shortened his bench when the Big Dance rolls around. In 2015, UConn won their 10th championship with basically a 6-player rotation. In 2017, the undersized, undermanned, inexperienced Huskies made it all the way to the national semifinals playing primarily 5 players with limited help off the bench from Crystal & Nat. This season, UConn went 6 deep with MW available as a 7th player if need be. ND, the team that won it all, only went 6 deep with essentially no one else in reserve.

The success of UConn, ND and others begs the question, in WBB is a short bench an advantage? Obviously, there are minuses to having a short bench: injuries, fouls problems and fatigue. Let’s look at each:

Injuries – Clearly, injuries to key players can devastate a team, but not always. ND is a remarkable example of a team’s ability to overcome no less that 4 season ending knee injuries on their way to a national championship. There is also the example of SC winning it all last year. After AA Alaina Coates went down in the SEC tournament, SC shortened their rotation to 6-7 players. The lane opened up for Gray & Davis to attack the basket, Bianca-Cuevas moved to the 2-guard where she was more effective and the Gamecocks won their 1st national championship.

Foul problems – Here again, losing key players to fouls and not having them on the floor can be the difference in a close game, but there’s a lot less fouling in WBB than MBB, and most of the really good women’s teams avoid fouling a lot and seem to be able to manage a few minutes without a key player.

Fatigue – We’re talking about young athletes in great shape. For most of them, playing 40 minutes is a lot easier than a hard practice. One possible exception might be a big post player like Tiera McGowan. After playing all 45 minutes in the OT win over Louisville, she was not quite as sharp in her 38 minutes against ND in the finals, less than 48 hours later.

So what’s the advantage of a short bench? One word = EXECUTION! If you put the same 5 to 6 players on the floor with each other for 30 minutes or more every game, their execution at both ends of the court can be really, really good. I marveled at ND’s ability to make short, crisp passes in traffic throughout the FF as well as their sound team defense. While we could debate whether this year’s UConn team was better than last year’s team, IMO, the offensive execution last year was superior.

On the other end of the spectrum, my poster child for the problems resulting from a deep bench is Texas. This year, many of us, myself included, believed that TX would finally break Baylor’s stranglehold on the Big 12 while making it to the FF. The Longhorns did neither. It is worth noting that TX used 4 players in their guard rotation and 5-6 players in their frontcourt rotation regularly. While those 9-10 players were incredibly talented, at key times, the Longhorns offense would stagnate, and their defense would suffer inexplicable breakdowns.

If my theory is correct, then ND will be in trouble next year when all those injured players are back, along with the arrival of several talented freshmen. MM could struggle to manage minutes and develop the same crisp level of execution that characterized their championship run. At the same time, with the departures of Gabby, Kia and Z, UConn will once again be fielding a team without a lot of depth. I have to say, I kind of like the Huskies chances. :cool:

Reaction Score
Great post Old Dude...
One area where a Short Bench becomes a disadvantage is EXPERIENCE. Even though I believe we will be fine next year, we will have two starters and a 6th man , with very little or no experience. We may lose a few games while they gain experience and we may have to play a new style.
Fouls become a different topic. ND played soft defense, in most first halves, as they didn't want to foul and get in foull trouble.The second halves they went back to their pushing, bumping selves and that allowed all their comebacks.
More players gives you more fouls.....

Reaction Score
A short bench, per se, is *never* an advantage. The problem is that too many coaches are too timid or unskilled to know how to use their personnel. For many coaches, if they have 12 able-bodies players they will play 12 players, even if 5 of them aren't very good.

I recall when Kentucky had their line-change substitutions and Geno made a comment to the effect of "that was great, because their 2nd five was so much weaker than UConn's starting 5."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great post Old Dude...
One area where a Short Bench becomes a disadvantage is EXPERIENCE. Even though I believe we will be fine next year, we will have two starters and a 6th man , with very little or no experience. We may lose a few games while they gain experience and we may have to play a new style.
Fouls become a different topic. ND played soft defense, in most first halves, as they didn't want to foul and get in foull trouble.The second halves they went back to their pushing, bumping selves and that allowed all their comebacks.
More players gives you more fouls.....
A short bench, per se, is *never* an advantage. The problem is that too many coaches are too timid or unskilled to know how to use their personnel. For many coaches, if they have 12 able-bodies players they will play 12 players, even if 5 of them aren't very good.

I recall when Kentucky had their line-change substitutions and Geno made a comment to the effect of "that was great, because their 2nd five was so much weaker than UConn's starting 5."
Both posts make well stated points. The challenge is to have 10-12 players at the same time, who are talented enough to be able to contribute, and get them to play together. In the pros, with the very best players in the world, it’s much easier to do. In college it’s a major challenge for even the best coaches.

Not all players develop at the same rate and every recruited player wants to play. Bring in too many talented players in one class and there’s bound to be disharmony and potentially transfers. Bring in too few players and you may lack sufficient experience in future seasons.

It’s a bit of a Catch-22.

Reaction Score
Lol, The catch 22 is what we discuss on this board all year. Geno is so successful that the 'Catch 22" is when he needs to change his strategy, which is so rare.
Elite 8 Game, Crystal and Kia were hitting all their open shots, we win by 29
NSemi Final- Kia and Crystal cant hit anything...so Lou gets all the attention.
If Megan Walker "developed" more. ( And I don't buy in that she is not a great talent), went in for Kia, and she was uncovered, she could have put a lot more pressure on ND than a "Cold" Kia
or Kyla Irwin went in , just to help on Sheppard, etc

Reaction Score
Well we could try the ND play book of whining all year get a transfer that will not be allowed to any other team. Naaah Geno would never stoop that low.

Reaction Score
short benches are wonderful when the 5-6 players are all talented and none of them get tired, in foul trouble or injured.............I would think that ideally a team would have enough good bench players to replace any of the starters due to foul trouble or injury for a few minutes to a few games...........if KLS, Crystal or Napheesa get injured and are forced to miss games, who is going to take over their role on next year's team? Development of the bench is never a big deal until you need one..........and if you don't have one you're screwed...........

Reaction Score
I would say 8 big game player rotation is optimum for maintaining cohesion during a big game. You have your 5 starters than 1 each of a guard, wing, and post to sub in and out for rest, fouls, or giving a different look like a big line up or a small ball line up. To me this is what UConn has lacked the last couple years is an ability to at will change the look of the line up to keep the opposing team off balance in big games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would say 8 big game player rotation is optimum for maintaining cohesion during a big game. You have your 5 starters than 1 each of a guard, wing, and post to sub in and out for rest, fouls, or giving a different look like a big line up or a small ball line up. To me this is what UConn has lacked the last couple years is an ability to at will change the look of the line up to keep the opposing team off balance in big games.
Until Lou broke her foot as a freshman, UConn had a really solid 7 player rotation during their last championship season. As it worked out 6 of the 7 players eventually earned 1st team AA honors, and the 7th NDPOY.

Reaction Score

Back in 2000 Uconn played 10 players pressed the whole game and ran teams into the ground. The hard part is getting talented depth because kids look to where they can play. Yes, kids have to be able to almost seamlessly mesh with the starters, but I think Uconn has an advantage here. Instead of winning conference games by 50 use say a bench player at a time to get comfortable working together. Geno doesn't think his bench is good enough but they are being compared to six 1st round draft picks. Win by 20 or 25 and develop depth.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
A short bench only becomes a disadvantage when the refs call bogus fouls.

Reaction Score
I would say that a short bench would only be a disadvantage if you have a large roster. That might mean that a short bench might not provide enough room for all your players to get seated properly and would mean that some might have to stand.

Reaction Score
Of course it's all based on the actual players you have on your roster. But generally, I think it can be an advantage later in the season, when you can always go deeper if you have to, say due to injuries or foul trouble. But it's probably less desirable earlier in the season, when there's a greater need to develop your players.

This year I think Geno was always going to go with the starting five plus Azura plus Megan. For whatever reason, the plus Megan part of that did not work out. In hindsight, that's unfortunate, given what happened in Columbus in terms of having to face ND and the officiating.

But I don't fault Geno for more or less limiting it to those seven right out of the gate, especially given the drop-off in in skill-level after Megan. That seven is a truly outstanding group, one you would absolutely lean on in a year like this when the idea is to gun hard for a national championship.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of course it's all based on the actual players you have on your roster. But generally, I think it can be an advantage later in the season, when you can always go deeper if you have to (say due to injuries or foul trouble). But it's probably less desirable earlier in the season, when you need to develop your players.

This year I think Geno was always going to go with the starting five plus Azura plus Megan. For whatever reason, the plus Megan part of that did not work out. In hindsight, that's unfortunate, given what happened in Columbus in terms of having to face ND and the officiating.

But I don't fault Geno for more or less limiting it to these seven right out of the gate. That's an outstanding group, one you would absolutely lean on in a year like this when the idea is to gun hard for a national championship.
I don’t know that Geno limited his rotation to only 7 right out of the gate. He actually gave several other players prime time minutes with the starters throughout the season including Molly, Kyla, AEH (remember her) and Mikayla. Unfortunately, none of them were able to step up and earn Geno’s trust.

Reaction Score
With little room for error next year I see our bench being very short. Lou, Pheesa & Crystal Dangerfield will hardly come out against the top teams. Leaving ONO, MW, CW, MC & BC to fight for the other 2 spots/minutes.

I could see him limiting Crystal Dangerfield’s & Lou’s minutes early to make sure they stay healthy but nothing substantial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom