In the New UConn conference | The Boneyard

In the New UConn conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
that probably combines East/West is it possible UConn basketball would need to win their tourney to get an NCAA bid? Or will they still have automatic regular season Champs qualify along with good resumes. I read something about needing an NCAA waiver due to required # of years schools/history playing together? Ughh! We have no luck with the NCAA. Anyone know more, that can explain? One bid conferences suck.

Reaction Score
that probably combines East/West is it possible UConn basketball would need to win their tourney to get an NCAA bid? Or will they still have automatic regular season Champs qualify along with good resumes. I read something about needing an NCAA waiver due to required # of years schools/history playing together? Ughh! We have no luck with the NCAA. Anyone know more, that can explain? One bid conferences suck.
Only 3 teams in the last 20(+) years west of the Mississippi have won it. Maybe they shouldn't be invited.

Reaction Score
The old rules were never that the regular season champ autoqualified, if you won the regular season you were guaranteed a bid to the NIT, it required winning the BET to get the auto bid to the NCAA tourney. That said, because the big east was so good, you could not win the regular season without being invited to the big dance because by winning the regular season alone, your resume/wins would be good enough to qualify your team for the dance. The NNNBE will likely still get multiple teams to the tourney each year, how many is tough to say, we'll have to see. But UConn will always have a good chance at winning the tourney, and if not, then it's probably appropriate to assume that our resume will clinch us a tourney bid most years anyway, due to strong out of conference scheduling.

Reaction Score

The rule which I have underlined has never been the case. Each league has had the option of choosing how it selects its automatic qualifier, either by regular-season play, or through a conference tournament; the Ivy League still chooses its regular season champion for its qualifier, and the Pac-12 and B1G have also done so in the past, but most leagues use a conference tournament.

The rule which I have bolded, regarding a minimum membership and years playing the sport together is indeed a thing which is in force. Generally speaking, any conference seeking an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament in any sport requires meeting a "six for two" standard (i.e. the conference must have had at least six teams, who have played together for two years). For men's basketball, the requirements are a bit more stringent: at least seven teams who have been NCAA Division I members for the previous eight years, and who have played as a group for at least the last five. This is rule 31.3.4.5 in the D-I manual.

BUT, any conference that has previously met the standard for an autobid receives a two-year grace period (rule 31.3.4.5.1) as long as they maintain at least six members.

So, what will happen on July 1, 2015, when ten current Big East members are scheduled for withdrawal, pending any agreements to be made regarding an earlier exit: The Big East will possess 9 "core members" (read: institutions which have been in the division for at least 8 years): Connecticut, Cincinnati, South Florida (the three of whom have been full members for at least five years); Temple, Central Florida, Southern Methodist, Houston, Memphis (the five of whom will join in 2013-14; and Tulane (due to join in 2014-15). Only three of those members (UConn, Cincy, USF) will have played basketball together for more than five years, but since the league previously had an autobid, they will at that point receive a waiver for the 2015-16 and 2016-17 basketball seasons. So as of the start of the 2017-18 season, the Big East will have had 8 teams (all but Tulane) who have played hoops together for...four years. At that point, I expect a waiver to be applied for and granted.

Incidentally, this does mean the new "Catholic Conference" will be eligible for an automatic bid starting on that date. They will have 7 core members, who have played at least five years in conference competition with each other (the rules are *oddly* nonspecific about the conference competition needing to be under the auspices of the conference seeking the automatic bid).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The rule which I have underlined has never been the case. Each league has had the option of choosing how it selects its automatic qualifier, either by regular-season play, or through a conference tournament; the Ivy League still chooses its regular season champion for its qualifier, and the Pac-12 and B1G have also done so in the past, but most leagues use a conference tournament.

The rule which I have bolded, regarding a minimum membership and years playing the sport together is indeed a thing which is in force. Generally speaking, any conference seeking an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament in any sport requires meeting a "six for two" standard (i.e. the conference must have had at least six teams, who have played together for two years). For men's basketball, the requirements are a bit more stringent: at least seven teams who have been NCAA Division I members for the previous eight years, and who have played as a group for at least the last five. This is rule 31.3.4.5 in the D-I manual.

BUT, any conference that has previously met the standard for an autobid receives a two-year grace period (rule 31.3.4.5.1) as long as they maintain at least six members.

So, what will happen on July 1, 2015, when ten current Big East members are scheduled for withdrawal, pending any agreements to be made regarding an earlier exit: The Big East will possess 9 "core members" (read: institutions which have been in the division for at least 8 years): Connecticut, Cincinnati, South Florida (the three of whom have been full members for at least five years); Temple, Central Florida, Southern Methodist, Houston, Memphis (the five of whom will join in 2013-14; and Tulane (due to join in 2014-15). Only three of those members (UConn, Cincy, USF) will have played basketball together for more than five years, but since the league previously had an autobid, they will at that point receive a waiver for the 2015-16 and 2016-17 basketball seasons. So as of the start of the 2017-18 season, the Big East will have had 8 teams (all but Tulane) who have played hoops together for...four years. At that point, I expect a waiver to be applied for and granted.

Incidentally, this does mean the new "Catholic Conference" will be eligible for an automatic bid starting on that date. They will have 7 core members, who have played at least five years in conference competition with each other (the rules are *oddly* nonspecific about the conference competition needing to be under the auspices of the conference seeking the automatic bid).
Thanks for doing the legwork. This should be pinned. Sorry I don't know how. I'll ask @HuskyFanDan.

Reaction Score
In the Hartford Courant this morning, Mike Aresco was quoted as allowing the C-7 to keep the Big East name if, in negotiations with the NCAA, the new football conference is granted an autobid to the basketball tournaments.

Reaction Score
If Boise State leaves, so would San Diego State. In that case, wouldn't it be a good idea to keep the "Big East" brand? We would obviously have majority big up-and-coming schools. Don't know what to say about Temple, ECU and Tulane. Should we consider adding UMass if they'd go back to play football in Amherst?

Reaction Score
If Boise State leaves, so would San Diego State. In that case, wouldn't it be a good idea to keep the "Big East" brand? We would obviously have majority big up-and-coming schools. Don't know what to say about Temple, ECU and Tulane. Should we consider adding UMass if they'd go back to play football in Amherst?

In that case, you go to 10 schools and call it a day.

UConn, Temple, E. Carolina, UCF, USF, Tulane, SMU, Houston, Cincy, Memphis

Reaction Score
In the Hartford Courant this morning, Mike Aresco was quoted as allowing the C-7 to keep the Big East name if, in negotiations with the NCAA, the new football conference is granted an autobid to the basketball tournaments.
It really is a moot point. It is highly unlikely that the regular season and tournament champions wouldn't be invited to the NCAA tourney. It is more likely that 3-5 teams will be invited so the automatic bid for basketball doesn't mean much in my mind.The exception would be if a team with a bad record somehow won the conference tourney.

Reaction Score
"UConn, Temple, E. Carolina, UCF, USF, Tulane, SMU, Houston, Cincy, Memphis"
might as well add Buffalo and UMass.
2-6 teams: UConn, Temple, Buffalo, Umass, ECU, USF and rest in other division.

Reaction Score
IMO, regardless if Boise St and San Diego St bolt out, we should immediately add East Carolina as a full time member. Secure that Navy and hopefully Air Force will come in as football only members. And then look at adding as fulltime members Tulsa (this would hopefully keep Houston & SMU happy) and choose/offer between one of the following Kent St/Ball St/Bowling Green. If Boise St and San Diego St do stay in as football only members, and any of the above ideas cannot happen, then I would then look at Fresno St and whoever else of value out west that want to join in as football only members...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If this is what our conference is going to look like then we need to get a conference arrangement whereby:

1) share TV Tier 1 & 2 Rights equally;
2) each school keeps their Tier 3 rights;
3) each school keeps its NCAA credits (so help me if ECU waltzes away with $6M in NCAA tourney money like SH, DP, SJ, and Prov just did).
4) each school keeps its Bowl money.

I think point #4 is important because it will keep UConn focused on improving its football product.

Reaction Score
If this is what our conference is going to look like then we need to get a conference arrangement whereby:

1) share TV Tier 1 & 2 Rights equally;
2) each school keeps their Tier 3 rights;
3) each school keeps its NCAA credits (so help me if ECU waltzes away with $6M in NCAA tourney money like SH, DP, SJ, and Prov just did).
4) each school keeps its Bowl money.

I think point #4 is important because it will keep UConn focused on improving its football product.

#4 isn't going to happen in the first year at least because of the BCS bowl bid, but also because the bowl money largely pays for the conference HQ and administrators.

Reaction Score
IMO, regardless if Boise St and San Diego St bolt out, we should immediately add East Carolina as a full time member. Secure that Navy and hopefully Air Force will come in as football only members. And then look at adding as fulltime members Tulsa (this would hopefully keep Houston & SMU happy) and choose/offer between one of the following Kent St/Ball St/Bowling Green. If Boise St and San Diego St do stay in as football only members, and any of the above ideas cannot happen, then I would then look at Fresno St and whoever else of value out west that want to join in as football only members...
if boise bolts, turn out the lights, lock the door, and turn in the keys.

time for a fresh start at that point.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
#4 isn't going to happen in the first year at least because of the BCS bowl bid, but also because the bowl money largely pays for the conference HQ and administrators.

If that is the case I can live with 1-3 then. We just need the chance to earn the big boy money.

Reaction Score
Marty, I hear yaw and truly understand your viewpoint, but I disagree, we cannot turn the lights out, because at this point we really have nowhere else to go, so we have to make this work to the best of our advantage, for of course football first, but not forgetting all the other olympic sport programs...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you accept that wherever we find ourselves in the near term, it will be, essencially, a holding pattern until a big conf comes calling, then I find myself pining away for a geographically sensible conference where games are easy travel to and some nominal rivalries can be established. Absent a very compelling TV deal, which may or may not be in the cards anymore, what's the point of being in BIG USA?

To those, and you know who you are, who said "take whatever ESPN offers and be glad for it otherwise they will completely gut this conference", you were right. I really did not believe that it could happen to this extent.

Reaction Score
If you accept that wherever we find ourselves in the near term, it will be, essencially, a holding pattern until a big conf comes calling, then I find myself pining away for a geographically sensible conference where games are easy travel to and some nominal rivalries can be established. Absent a very compelling TV deal, which may or may not be in the cards anymore, what's the point of being in BIG USA?

To those, and you know who you are, who said "take whatever ESPN offers and be glad for it otherwise they will completely gut this conference", you were right. I really did not believe that it could happen to this extent.

This is the absolute frigging truth. That 11 million a year, to be in a conference with all of our traditional rivals sounds REAL good right now.

That said, the way Marinato, handled that whole situation was a cluster fluck. That guy couldn't sell water in a desert. He couldn't get the BE presidents to take the deal, then he proceeds to brag about being the only BCS conference to take their TV rights on the open market. I cringed when he did that. Oh well, but yeah, not signing that deal was the worst thing that ever happened to UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Someday, I suspect that there will be a narrative as to how all this happened. It will be an interesting but sad read.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Someday, I suspect that there will be a narrative as to how all this happened. It will be an interesting but sad read.

It just won't be in the Courant.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member