In the crazy world of the BE, is there a chance UConn wins it? | The Boneyard

In the crazy world of the BE, is there a chance UConn wins it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't really care to figure this out for myself, but if anyone is bored, is there a way that UConn could win the BE now that Cincy lost its game today? I'm just curious if it is statistically possible.

Reaction Score
I think it is, but do we really want to?.....I know that sounds like a stupid question and we should always want to go to the BCS, but if we are going to be in the Big East for the next 4 or 5 years and want the opportunity to be able to go to the BCS in the future (i.e, losing AQ status as a conference).....we want Cinci to win out and go to the BCS 10 - 3

Reaction Score
The answer is yes.

Win our last three games
WV over Pitt next week in WV
South Florida over WV in South Florida

Do we go to Fiesta bowl again or Orange bowl?

If Collaros is out the rest of the year our chances of beating Cincy have improved alot.

Reaction Score
Assuming we win out....

Scenario 1:
WVU beats Pitt - @WVU
USF beats WVU - @ USF

Scenario 2:
Pitt beats WVU - @ WVU
Cuse beats Pitt - @ Pitt

Reaction Score
Yes we can. We would go to The Orange Bowl--they pick last.

Reaction Score
I just can't see why we would want a BCS bid this year. We would need a major change in quality of play to have any chance of winning and/or being respectable. If we start playing great and find a QB, great. If we back into it in another perfect storm, no thanks. We don't need the bad press again.

Reaction Score
I just can't see why we would want a BCS bid this year. We would need a major change in quality of play to have any chance of winning and/or being respectable. If we start playing great and find a QB, great. If we back into it in another perfect storm, no thanks. We don't need the bad press again.

+1 cincy needs to win it outright so we don't have any more of this shared business and then give the conference some street cred

Reaction Score
noise. Our conference is a joke, nobody is going to be convinced otherwise by Cinci winning the title. Perfect storm as it is, if we do it two years in a row, when we lost our coach, RB, QB I'll be loving every minute of it and more importantly won't be giving a flying duck* what the national media says. Also that sounds so small time, put yourself on the big stage otherwise you'll never do big things. Lastly, and admittedly less important but Miami>Birmingham haha.

Reaction Score
Are you serious!! Winning is winning, any time any place any way, its all good. To win after the way this year started would be phenomenal and a credit to the kids on the field. Ask them if they want to be Big East champs, ask Pasqualoni, Ask Pendergast, Ask Herbst.

Reaction Score
I already purchased Orange Bowl tickets, so it works out great! (By buying orange bowl tickets a couple months ago, I am guaranteed the opportunity to buy the same seats to next years BCS Championship Game). It's funny, we thought we would lose all our BE games a couple weeks ago, and now we are figuring out if there is a chance to win the BE. It's been a weird season.

Reaction Score
I'll never understand not wanting us to be in the BCS Bowl. I dont care what anyone thinks about whether we deserve to be there. Think the Buffalo Bills would give up being in any of those losing Super Bowls?

Reaction Score
you'll care when they take the Big East's AQ spot away because it sends a .500 team to the BCS game every year

Reaction Score
Ridiculous reasoning.The landscape is changing. There might not be a Big East or a BCS. And lord knows there are politicos who might have the last say. In light of all that, we grab the prestige and exposure and use it to build our fan base. We don"t run away from the spotlight--we seize it.

Reaction Score
its quite likely that they already will take it away and the only way it can be saved is on account of Boise.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous reasoning.The landscape is changing. There might not be a Big East or a BCS. And lord knows there are politicos who might have the last say. In light of all that, we grab the prestige and exposure and use it to build our fan base. We don"t run away from the spotlight--we seize it.
+1000
if they want to take the AQ away, let them. If it's still there for us to avail of it fair and square...why the hell not?!!!!

Reaction Score
you'll care when they take the Big East's AQ spot away because it sends a .500 team to the BCS game every year
They don't care who we send. They'll bitch about it no matter who wins it. They'll try to take it away no matter what. Cincy was 7-1 with 6 straight wins and they were ranked 23rd. Under the old formula the be is screwed out of the aq. It pretty much all hinges on whether or not we bring in teams that finish ranked, etc. They bring their last few years' records with them.

Reaction Score
the best part of this whole stupid system is that the Sugar Bowl matchup right now would likely be Alabama vs Houston. LOLOLOLOLOL. And VaTech/clemson vs cincy/WVU/Pitt/Rutty/Uconn. Does stanford Vs Mich State in the Rose bowl do anything for you? How about OSU vs Clemson in the Fiesta?

BCS is so bad

Reaction Score
Wow, are you kidding me? What a terrible post.

Why the hell do you even play the game if you don't think it's good to win? You don't think it would be good to get a BCS bid in two straight years? You don't think winning is good for the growth of the program, recruiting purposes, donorship, etc.? And probably most of all, you don't think getting another BCS bid would make us look like a more attractive school during a time of conference realignment fueled purely by football?

Get out of here.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Didn't UConn lose $1.7 million last year because of the Fiesta Bowl bid? For that reason alone, I'd think UConn would want to avoid going to a BCS bowl.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wow, are you kidding me? What a terrible post.

Why the hell do you even play the game if you don't think it's good to win? You don't think it would be good to get a BCS bid in two straight years? You don't think winning is good for the growth of the program, recruiting purposes, donorship, etc.? And probably most of all, you don't think getting another BCS bid would make us look like a more attractive school during a time of conference realignment fueled purely by football?

Get out of here.
From the team's perspective, the kids are going to try to win out.

But recruiting for football is always going to be challenging for UConn, and a BCS appearence out of a beleagured conference isn't going to help too much along those lines. And conference realignment is being riven more by TV markets than on-field performance. Note Colorado and Mizzou, who are both mediocre programs, being attractive as candidates nevertheless.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't care if we were 0-5 out of conference, tied for the conference title @ 4-3 and won a tiebreaker due to head to head wins over the other three schools we tied with. If we can get the BCS bid I want the BCS bid.

Additionally, the Fiesta Bowl situation will never happen again. Due to the legal fallout of the Fiesta Bowl committee's antics (which included forcing participants in the BCS title game to purchase Fiesta Bowl tickets, placing a ton of these on the open market below face value) there won't be a situation where the participants (OU sold only a bit more of their allotment than we did) fan bases will primarily buy from outside of their schools.

If we win out (I don't want to think ahead of UL this Saturday) we will get a share of the title. I'll concern myself with where we stand and what the possibilities are after the Rutgers game.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys have are less competitive than Gandhi.

I'll admit I am over-competitive, but come on. OF COURSE we want the bid! We want to win the Big East, damnit!

I'm so glad I went to the Fiesta Bowl, because its likely the only BCS bowl UConn will ever make (BCS will die, or we wont have a BCS conference). If we get a chance to do that AGAIN, I'm totally there and I'm rooting hard for it.

Sucks Pitt beat Louisville though that definitely hurt a tad.

Reaction Score
To go to a BCS game at 7-5 is just silly. If we somehow get the bid, the negativity surrounding it will drown out the positives. I see where many of you are coming from and I get it. I want to win every game and will be at the Orange Bowl if they get there, but I just don't think this team should be in a BCS game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom