In Search For Starting Cornerback, UConn Turns To Yet Another Freshman (Courant) | The Boneyard

In Search For Starting Cornerback, UConn Turns To Yet Another Freshman (Courant)

Reaction Score
Putterman: In Search For Starting Cornerback, UConn Turns To Yet Another Freshman

>>Lucien, for his part, doesn’t sound particularly scared to take the field Saturday. He said Tuesday that he knew he would get a chance to play and has been preparing meticulously for the opportunity.

“I’ve been paying attention to the little things that coach [Curome] Cox has been going over in meeting rooms,” Lucien said. “When the receivers are attacking like they’re trying to burn you, squaring your back-pedal through your proper landmark, opening up when you’re supposed to. Little things. Because the way we handle the little things is the way we’re going to handle the big things.”

Lucien’s job Saturday will be all the more difficult Saturday given the likely absence of safety Omar Fortt, who is currently sidelined with a concussion. Replacing Fortt will be freshman Oneil Robinson, a hard-hitter who Crocker says won’t be afraid of the FBS stage, even as he must learn to “process a little faster.”<<

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Translation: expect more bumps in the road on Saturday. Hopefully, we have a FR on our roster that is sorta ready to play at this level.

Reaction Score
Fuller view: Next man up: Choate grad Jeremy Lucien latest freshman to get his shot at UConn (Nice backstory)

>>”Before I got hurt, I really felt like I began to get into the swing of things with the conditioning level and knowledge of the playbook,” Lucien said. “Getting hurt sucks but I talked it over with my dad and he’s a big believer that everything happens for a reason. We both kept trying to see the bigger picture and see the silver lining, so getting hurt, it humbled me even more. The whole time I was hurt, I tried to do everything I could to stay in the loop, stay on top of the playbook and keep my condition and footwork up so when I did come back, I wouldn’t miss a beat.”<<

>>In practice, Lucien isn’t afraid to get up and play press coverage. He said he is able to move on even after he is beaten in coverage.

“That’s always been the way that I play, I’m a no-fear kind of guy,” Lucien said. “I’m not afraid to press, I’m not afraid to play off, try to mix it up because I don’t want to favor one too much but I’m not afraid to get up on a line and get in the receiver’s face.”<<

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
upload_2018-9-14_22-36-11.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member