In Praise of Liv | The Boneyard

In Praise of Liv

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In her four years at UConn Liv has been the target of more individual criticism than any UConn Husky I can think of. When two-time, All-Big Ten Center, Dorka Juhasz announced her decision to transfer to UConn this past summer, many UConn fans assumed that she would quickly replace Liv in the starting lineup. But 13 games into a season filled with injuries, illness and upsets, Liv is not only UConn’s best player, but she is playing as well as just about any post player in the country not named Aliyah Boston.

Liv leads UConn in FG percentage, rebounds and blocked shots by a wide margin. She also leads the team in steals and is only a single assist behind Evina for the team lead. Liv has improved just about every aspect of her game: passing, help defense, establishing strong position in the low blocks, finishing through contact, outside shooting and staying out of foul trouble. Liv has apparently rid herself of the tomahawk chop, shot blocking technique that got her into foul trouble so often in the past. She now uses both hands, extended upward to block shots, and has become an intimidating defensive presence in the paint.

Don’t let Liv’s lean frame fool you. She is strong, fit and able to go toe-to-toe with any Big in the nation, as she did heroically, battling SC’s trio of Bigs in the Bahamas earlier this year, in what at times looked like a one on three matchup. More important than her basketball skills and physical talent, in Paige’s absence, Liv has assumed much more of a leadership role for this team. Once considered quiet and cerebral, Liv has become far more vocal and demonstrative on the court.

Liv is experiencing that wonderful transformation when the game slows down for a player. She’s making all the right decisions like when to pass, when to shoot, when to help on defense, when to jump a passing lane, which hand to use when contesting a shot, etc. For those of us who have always appreciated Liv for her intelligence, hard work and ability, her development this year into a complete basketball player has been inspiring.

Geno will always tell you that his most important goal as a HC is to help every one of his players achieve their potential. So far, in a season of disappointments, Liv stands out as a wonderful success. Credit to Geno and Jamelle in particular for Liv’s steady development as a player.

As disappointing as this season has been for UConn WBB fans, Liv’s play, along with the emergence of Caroline, holds out some hope for redemption come March. That all assumes that Paige is back healthy, dusts off the rust and quickly reintegrates her incredible brand of basketball with her teammates, potentially engineering a remarkable Tournament run. It would be a story for the ages.

Reaction Score
Amen Old Dude!!!! I have to admit that Liv has struggled at times over the years but as of late she has really been leading the way. Last night I turned to my wife and daughter a couple times and said, "Look at Liv-she is giving it 110%"! She is a rock for us right now!!!

Reaction Score
In her four years at UConn Liv has been the target of more individual criticism than any UConn Husky I can think of. When two-time, All-Big Ten Center, Dorka Juhasz announced her decision to transfer to UConn this past summer, many UConn fans assumed that she would quickly replace Liv in the starting lineup. But 13 games into a season filled with injuries, illness and upsets, Liv is not only UConn’s best player, but she is playing as well as just about any post player in the country not named Aliyah Boston.

Liv leads UConn in FG percentage, rebounds and blocked shots by a wide margin. She also leads the team in steals and is only a single assist behind Evina for the team lead. Liv has improved just about every aspect of her game: passing, help defense, establishing strong position in the low blocks, finishing through contact, outside shooting and staying out of foul trouble. Liv has apparently rid herself of the tomahawk chop, shot blocking technique that got her into foul trouble so often in the past. She now uses both hands, extended upward to block shots, and has become an intimidating defensive presence in the paint.

Don’t let Liv’s lean frame fool you. She is strong, fit and able to go toe-to-toe with any Big in the nation, as she did heroically, battling SC’s trio of Bigs in the Bahamas earlier this year, in what at times looked like a one on three matchup. More important than her basketball skills and physical talent, in Paige’s absence, Liv has assumed much more of a leadership role for this team. Once considered quiet and cerebral, Liv has become far more vocal and demonstrative on the court.

Liv is experiencing that wonderful transformation when the game slows down for a player. She’s making all the right decisions like when to pass, when to shoot, when to help on defense, when to jump a passing lane, which hand to use when contesting a shot, etc. For those of us who have always appreciated Liv for her intelligence, hard work and ability, her development this year into a complete basketball player has been inspiring.

Geno will always tell you that his most important goal as a HC is to help every one of his players achieve their potential. So far, in a season of disappointments, Liv stands out as a wonderful success. Credit to Geno and Jamelle in particular for Liv’s steady development as a player.

As disappointing as this season has been for UConn WBB fans, Liv’s play, along with the emergence of Caroline, holds out some hope for redemption come March. That all assumes that Paige is back healthy, dusts off the rust and quickly reintegrates her incredible brand of basketball with her teammates, potentially engineering a remarkable Tournament run. It would be a story for the ages.
Certainly played well lately. I wish she'd stop straddling the 3pt line when shooting though.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

+1,000,000,000

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other thing to mention about Liv, the basketball player. Does anyone really believe that a 6' 5" player who's tough, can run the court, score, pass and play superb defense won't go in the first round of the WNBA draft?

Reaction Score
Well said, Oldude. Folks wrote Liv off during the off season. I just had to shake my head in disbelief. During the early part of this season, when all of the rage was about "Our Bigs can't do this/that". I threw out some comments in support of our Bigs, especially Liv. But anyway, I am just so happy that Liv showed up and showed out last night against Oregon. She went toe to toe with Prince and I saw that they had some positive interaction out there as well! Liv is just such a joy to watch, and I am so happy to see the progression over the years. As for her going in the 1st round of the WNBA Draft of 2022. It all depends on team needs at the time and who declares for the draft.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One other thing to mention about Liv, the basketball player. Does anyone really believe that a 6' 5" player who's tough, can run the court, score, pass and play superb defense won't go in the first round of the WNBA draft?
At this moment, I would guess that Liv will be the first UConn player picked in the April 2022 draft, probably around 6th or 7th overall. I think that a WNBA GM would be inclined to draft her ahead of Cunane based on speed and athleticism.

What other senior bigs might be in the mix for the WNBA this spring? Aliyah Boston is a junior, and I think she will stay with Dawn for another year. I believe Tamari Key is also a junior, but I guess it's possible that she would declare for the draft. Is there anyone else who is a contender at the position? Kitley? Czinano? I would certainly draft Liv ahead of them. Someone from Stanford, maybe?

It will be interesting to see the third annual matchup between Liv and Key on February 6. I think the first two rounds were basically draws. They are really very similar players.

Reaction Score
Regardless of where Liv goes in the draft, I am pretty sure she will stick with her new team. A center/forward with her array of talents will be invaluable.

Reaction Score

absolutely agree with your sentiments.........when Dorka came on board, so many here thought she would be an automatic starter over ONO........my thoughts at the time were that ONO was a dominant defensive player and a great passer from the high post so her starting was assured for those reasons alone.........if her offense improved that would just be a bonus.......well her offense has improved and so has her aggression to the point where she along with CD have been the most valuable players on the team so far this year........I happen to think ONO has a lot more offensive skills that she has yet to utilize and I hope she keeps working to showcase her abilities as the season progresses....

Reaction Score
B6E88771-8A96-43A0-88F6-462B15CA809E.gif

Good Job Liv ! Keep up the Good Work.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
....I happen to think ONO has a lot more offensive skills that she has yet to utilize and I hope she keeps working to showcase her abilities as the season progresses....
In one sense, I would compare Liv to Tina Charles. As great a player as Tina was, she really only became a consistent outside shooter in the pros. Liv has worked very hard on her outside shot and she is clearly a better outside shooter this season. But I think she will continue to improve her shooting, hopefully for the remainder of this season, and subsequently once she gets to the W.

Reaction Score
I approve this message.....

Also, to add on, there were people that thought DeBerry would get more minutes than Liv as the season went on

Reaction Score
I said last year that Liv would be a "lottery pick" for all the reasons Old Dude just mentioned!

Reaction Score
Liv has played very well. She has protected the rim, rebounded, scored and passed the ball well. She has stayed out of foul trouble. She has been fantastic....now can she do it against SC? I can't wait to find out!

Reaction Score
Liv has played very well. She has protected the rim, rebounded, scored and passed the ball well. She has stayed out of foul trouble. She has been fantastic....now can she do it against SC? I can't wait to find out!
I think the reason we were dominating SC for one half was Liv and Paige. Liv was blocking shots and rebounding like an All-American and outleting to Paige and they were off to the races on a fast break for easy points. She has held her own against GT and Oregon bigs and is finally scoring thru fouls from her right hand even though she still drops the ball to try and protect it as she goes up for bunnie bank shot this year. She has canned the go left and fade away from the hoop and has developed very good left-handed moves much better than her right hand. She definitely is our anchor on defense and when our guards get beat she is there for the help defense. She now anticipating passes and is going for and getting steals. One of the 5 best centers in the country and a future successful WNBA player.

Reaction Score
Now if she can play the way against top tier teams then UConn will be back to bring UConn. But in her defense the guards have to be better getting her the ball in the post so she wouldn’t have to depend on 17 footers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here are the OR highlights for Liv. and Caroline. Interesting how the announcers were as frustrated as us that the guards did not do a very good job getting the ball into Live more on time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Recently, someone on the BY said that Liv has played out of position her entire career at UConn. The poster said that Liv will be a PF in the pros. That got me to thinking. Liv has a decent and improving face-up shot, good athleticism, and great length. She isn't able to bang against someone like Liz Cambage, but she could be very effective playing inside and out. Liv has skills, a UConn pedigree, and willingness to work hard. In the right situation, Liv may really surprise at the next level. I loved her battling against Oregon yesterday.

Reaction Score
Gritty performance. All the things the Boneyard has suggested she do the past 4 years she did - drove to basket, hit layups, blocked shots with a straight up arm angle, etc. All this was accomplished with refs who allowed Oregon bigs (and they were big) to hammer her throughout the game.

Reaction Score
I think the reason we were dominating SC for one half was Liv and Paige. Liv was blocking shots and rebounding like an All-American and outleting to Paige and they were off to the races on a fast break for easy points. She has held her own against GT and Oregon bigs and is finally scoring thru fouls from her right hand even though she still drops the ball to try and protect it as she goes up for bunnie bank shot this year. She has canned the go left and fade away from the hoop and has developed very good left-handed moves much better than her right hand. She definitely is our anchor on defense and when our guards get beat she is there for the help defense. She now anticipating passes and is going for and getting steals. One of the 5 best centers in the country and a future successful WNBA player.
all of the above may be true, but can she hold her own for an entire game and make a difference against SC? we will find out soon enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom