OT: In ketchup news...

RichZ

Methuselah's older brother
We have had a Japanese friend staying with us for a few weeks. He used to be a chef, and he tries to introduce a couple Japanese dishes or food items every time he comes over to fish with me.
Last night, I got to experience Japanese ketchup.

20180509_103045.jpg Kagome Ketchup

I didn't want to tell him, but it tastes pretty much like your garden variety Heinz.
So not anything I'd ever indulge in again.

And after eating it, I don't understand anything I say.

At least it's better than their version of mayonnaise, which is made using only the yolks of eggs, and looks like something that's gone rancid. And is called Kewpie. Like the doll.

And they actually mix their mayonnaise, ketchup and yellow mustard and put that mess on food.

Hankster

What do I know.
Please let me know when the Ketchup Mayo mix is available.I saw an ad on tv. Thought it said Heinz was suppose to come out with it. Or was it Hellmans. The family (not me) is waiting for this scientific breakthrough

We have had a Japanese friend staying with us for a few weeks. He used to be a chef, and he tries to introduce a couple Japanese dishes or food items every time he comes over to fish with me.
Last night, I got to experience Japanese ketchup.

View attachment 31290 Kagome Ketchup

I didn't want to tell him, but it tastes pretty much like your garden variety Heinz.
So not anything I'd ever indulge in again.

And after eating it, I don't understand anything I say.

At least it's better than their version of mayonnaise, which is made using only the yolks of eggs, and looks like something that's gone rancid. And is called Kewpie. Like the doll.

And they actually mix their mayonnaise, ketchup and yellow mustard and put that mess on food.
The japanese mayo is far superior to that Hellman's dreck.

RichZ

Methuselah's older brother
Russian dressing recipes usually have mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, horseradish, paprika and black pepper.

Leave out the last three ingredients and add a crumbled, hard boiled egg and you have Thousand Island.

More or less.

Horatio

Protector of the Pleasure Principle
My Ketchup usage has reduced due to Honey Mustard. It’s about a 60/40 split.

Your Favorite Mayo Brand Is Now Making Ketchup, Too

>>On grocery shelves now, Hellmann's Ketchup is a six-ingredient sidekick to chicken tenders that does away with corn syrup and swaps in honey as the sole sweetener. To us, it has the same spice and vinegary bite of Heinz but with a mellower, more caramel-like sweetness.<<
Ketchup has to be Heinz and mayonnaise has to be Hellmanns. Anything else is a fraud. Mustard on the other hand can vary except for that French's yellow sauce disguised as mustard.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Ketchup has to be Heinz and mayonnaise has to be Hellmanns. Anything else is a fraud. Mustard on the other hand can vary except for that French's yellow sauce disguised as mustard.
I used to think that about mayo - and I wasn't a big mayo fan, using it sparingly. But Trader Joe's mayo changed that. Now that's my condiment of choice for burgers and fries.

Curiouser
Best Foods mayo also works...

With you on the ketchup; gotta be Heinz.

Boar's Head Delicatessen Style Mustard (with white wine and horseradish) is my mustard staple.