In-game adjustment a little sooner next time? | The Boneyard

In-game adjustment a little sooner next time?

Reaction Score
Amazing how The Carpenter and his team of craftsman orchestrated the lineup adjustment in a big way last night in the second half. Wondering if it should’ve been implemented even earlier. UConn got the W, that’s all that matters. But if we lost against #166 Georgetown, the BY would’ve had a nuclear meltdown.

Reaction Score
My question is this, how could Georgetown have so many losses shooting like that? The answer is that they don’t shoot like that usually. Hurley had Joey in the pen waiting to be unleashed, he was fresh when Georgetown’s tongues were hanging. Good strategy even though it caused nervousness among us.

Reaction Score
The adjustments were good. I wouldn't say GREAT, because we didn't really do much other than try harder and change personnel. But we tried a few different lineups until we found the one that worked. Your first adjustment isn't always going to work... it might take a couple tries, especially with so many new pieces.

Reaction Score
Not every night is going to be a walk in the park. Georgetown made lots of tough shots to keep it from being a blowout, but it was still a double digit victory. I think Hurley has been close to masterful this season with his substitutions. I think the talent is much better this season and I also think Hurley has become the coach many of us had hoped for when he was hired. If an 11 point win against an in conference opponent is our least impressive performance over the first 13 games, the team is certainly in great shape.

Reaction Score
Amazing how The Carpenter and his team of craftsman orchestrated the lineup adjustment in a big way last night in the second half. Wondering if it should’ve been implemented even earlier. UConn got the W, that’s all that matters. But if we lost against #166 Georgetown, the BY would’ve had a nuclear meltdown.
We were up like 7 at halftime? And then got 8 open 3s in a row (like 6 from 40% shooters coming in) and missed them all. And then we adjusted. Seems fine to me.

Reaction Score
My question is this, how could Georgetown have so many losses shooting like that? The answer is that they don’t shoot like that usually. Hurley had Joey in the pen waiting to be unleashed, he was fresh when Georgetown’s tongues were hanging. Good strategy even though it caused nervousness among us.
Georgetown has 8 losses already this season because they are lacking in several key areas.
1. They don't share the ball well as evidenced by a total of 6 assists last night;
2. They miss lots of free throws including the front end of one and ones;
3. They do a terrible job of closing out on three point shooters;

By comparison, UConn had 24 assists last night, made over 80% of it's free throws, and only gave up three 3's.

Reaction Score
Team is 13-0 and has won every game by double digits. Some of you should be shot to the moon.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This

They won so I'll say he adjusted just fine. I think the "slowness" is more a willingness to see if they can right the ship first. He's called some quick TOs this year when needed.

And then this.
The adjustments were good. I wouldn't say GREAT, because we didn't really do much other than try harder and change personnel. But we tried a few different lineups until we found the one that worked. Your first adjustment isn't always going to work... it might take a couple tries, especially with so many new pieces.

Starters really haven't had any adversity. Giving them a chance to work things out is a legit coaching strategy. When the starters didn't work out, you bring in your subs, who also have performed well this season. When normal substitution pattern isn't working, you go to Plan C or Plan D. Eventually it worked.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

He did,

Joey and Donovan and Alleyne were in by the 12 minute mark in first half. Donovan got hit in the mouth, Joey tried an ill advised reverse layup on a break instead of passing to Hawkins wide open in corner, and Joey missed a couple 3's he usually makes. It wasnt that Hurley was maestro late with the subs,. He tried it early, didn't work this time, He's a maestro for going back to it late. He (re) implemented at perfect time. The only master brush stroke difference was diarra over newton. He disrupted Spears.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Georgetown has 8 losses already this season because they are lacking in several key areas.
1. They don't share the ball well as evidenced by a total of 6 assists last night;
2. They miss lots of free throws including the front end of one and ones;
3. They do a terrible job of closing out on three point shooters;

By comparison, UConn had 24 assists last night, made over 80% of it's free throws, and only gave up three 3's.
Georgetown also doesn't have a bench. The starters played all but 27 of 200 minutes. Yes, he was courtside, but 80 year old Billy Raftery alluded to how tired Georgetown looked amidst UConn's 31-13 closeout.

Georgetown hung with one of the two best squads in the country for about 30 minutes. Unfortunate for them, regulation games are still 40 minutes.

This team is reminiscent of 1993-2009 Calhoun era teams thus far. It looks like they can run & gun or play a little more deliberate. They have the ability to muscle about or play more finesse. Large lineup or small ball.

It's a fun team to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom