In case you missed it.........NCAA to speed up infractions process, implement transfer windows. | The Boneyard

In case you missed it.........NCAA to speed up infractions process, implement transfer windows.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This was released on August 31, but I didn't see it on either board.

The NCAA has adopted proposals to speed up and modernize infractions rulings, while also implementing transfer windows for all sports that will begin immediately. The board also approved 45 and 60 day windows for first-time athletes wishing to transfer to notify their schools and not lose a year of eligibility.

The windows include exceptions for athletes who go through head-coaching changes, or have their scholarships reduced or canceled. The board considered but did not approve a proposal that would have allowed unlimited transfers with immediate eligibility.

Athletes in basketball and other winter sports will have a 60-day transfer window, beginning the day after championship selections are made, and spring sports athletes will have windows from Dec. 1 to Dec. 15, as well as a 45-day window beginning the day after championship selections are made.

The NCAA board also decided that athletes who transfer will be guaranteed financial aid through graduation at their destination school.

Reaction Score
The NCAA board also decided that athletes who transfer will be guaranteed financial aid through graduation at their destination school.
That last line is huge, especially for non head counter sports. Is it financial aid, or athletic grant-in-aid, which are two very different things. If the student athlete decides not to play do they still receive the Aid? Does it count against team limits? This sounds like it might slow down the receiving schools a bit, to really make sure they want the financial commitment.

Is that verbatim, Carnac? Where did you read this? First I've heard of this.

Reaction Score
Athletes in basketball and other winter sports will have a 60-day transfer window, beginning the day after championship selections are made

So an athlete playing for a team in the tournament, perhaps fighting for a national championship, has 60 days to enter the portal and look at other schools? And coaches have to evaluate potential transfers while guiding their current squad thru the tourney?

I must be misunderstanding something. Make it make sense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I realize this sentence is taken directly from the article and I have seen it written else where on CBS sports this way.

"All athletes will be guaranteed financial aid at their next schools through completion of their eligibility or completion of an undergraduate degree."

This does not make sense to me that the NCAA would mandate that if a school accepts a transfer that transfer is guaranteed a scholarship until eligibility is exhausted or undergraduate degree is attained because athletic scholarship are not guaranteed for those students that do not transfer. Has the NCAA inadvertently created another incentive for SA to transfer= to get you scholarship guaranteed?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So an athlete playing for a team in the tournament, perhaps fighting for a national championship, has 60 days to enter the portal and look at other schools? And coaches have to evaluate potential transfers while guiding their current squad thru the tourney?

I must be misunderstanding something. Make it make sense.
The article uses the words "championship selections are made" I am reading that to mean the championship game has been played and the season is over, champion crowned and everyone gets the same amount of time-60 days.

Reaction Score
The article uses the words "championship selections are made" I am reading that to mean the championship game has been played and the season is over, champion crowned and everyone get the same amount of time-60 days.

That would make more sense. But why use the term "selections"? To me, that means Selection Sunday.
But when has anything the NCAA does made sense?:confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That would make more sense. But why use the term "selections"? To me, that means Selection Sunday.
Selection Sunday was my first though as well the first two times reading the article. I'm still puzzled by the NCAA guaranteeing scholarship for transfers and not guaranteeing them for the players that do not transfer. Maybe I need to read it a 4th time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That last line is huge, especially for non head counter sports. Is it financial aid, or athletic grant-in-aid, which are two very different things. If the student athlete decides not to play do they still receive the Aid? Does it count against team limits? This sounds like it might slow down the receiving schools a bit, to really make sure they want the financial commitment.

Is that verbatim, Carnac? Where did you read this? First I've heard of this.
Look at the first sentence in my post. It’s in blue. I attached the link to the entire article there. Just click on any portion of the text in blue, and it will open the entire article for you in a new window.

Reaction Score
It doesn't say "guarantee scholarships", it says "guarantee financial aid". Very different things.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It doesn't say "guarantee scholarships", it says "guarantee financial aid". Very different things.

Athletic scholarships are financial aid packages awarded by college coaches and athletic departments for student-athletes who excel in their sport. Financial aid can be in the form of grants, scholarships, work-study, or loans. The Ivy League is the only exception, rather than award funds to students based on their athletic qualifications, these colleges award based solely on their students' financial situations.
The NCAA is not involved unless you are talking about athletic scholarship and really don't care how a school handles the other aspects of financial aid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmmm, when I went to school cleaning the cafeteria for 8 hours a week for a ridiculous low wage was considered "financial aid".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hmmm, when I went to school cleaning the cafeteria for 8 hours a week for a ridiculous low wage was considered "financial aid".
That depends, were you getting a break ( reduces rate on book, fees, tuition, meals, room and board ) as a result of cleaning the cafeteria? If not then you had a part time job like many many other students and that is not financial aid.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The article uses the words "championship selections are made" I am reading that to mean the championship game has been played and the season is over, champion crowned and everyone gets the same amount of time-60 days.
For the current football season, players can enter the portal after the playoff selections are made. The players that have already entered the portal have had their names removed by their schools.

Reaction Score
For the current football season, players can enter the portal after the playoff selections are made. The players that have already entered the portal have had their names removed by their schools.

So this was all about football terminology? No wonder I didn't understand. :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So this was all about football terminology? No wonder I didn't understand. :eek:
No it wasn't. The article separates by sports and by season.

Specific to basketball it says " Athletes in basketball and other winter sports will have a 60-day transfer window, beginning the day after championship selections are made,...."

When it talks about football which is the paragraph before it does not use the word football it instead states

"A 45-day transfer window for fall sport athletes will open the day after championship selections are made, or from May 1 until May 15. The window includes "reasonable accommodations" for FBS and FCS players competing in championship games."

So in order to fully comprehend this you would have to know that football is considered a fall sport and that FBS and FCS are really divisions within college football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom