In big-money marriage of TV and college football, who has most say? | The Boneyard

In big-money marriage of TV and college football, who has most say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Just read this. Had to add in the comments section what the article sorely misses: the fact that Flipper was speaking about "ESPN told us what to do" after confirming what we already knew: BC lobbied hard against UCONN because they know they can't compete with us.

Reaction Score
If that was you in the comments section you did a great job.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just read this. Had to add in the comments section what the article sorely misses: the fact that Flipper was speaking about "ESPN told us what to do" after confirming what we already knew: BC lobbied hard against UCONN because they know they can't compete with us.

Um that is included in the story:

In October 2011, the former Boston College athletic director famously said, "TV -- ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do" after the league added former Big East members Pitt and Syracuse.
That quote is a stunner. It suggests the ACC was handcuffed by a television bogeyman that points in a direction and says 'Go,' all while the Big East suffered.
This was obviously a delicate situation for ESPN, which has working relationships with much of college football.
Defilippo quickly backtracked on his comment, and other ACC athletic directors denied heavy-handed involvement from ESPN.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Um that is included in the story:

In October 2011, the former Boston College athletic director famously said, "TV -- ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do" after the league added former Big East members Pitt and Syracuse.
That quote is a stunner. It suggests the ACC was handcuffed by a television bogeyman that points in a direction and says 'Go,' all while the Big East suffered.
This was obviously a delicate situation for ESPN, which has working relationships with much of college football.
Defilippo quickly backtracked on his comment, and other ACC athletic directors denied heavy-handed involvement from ESPN.

The article left out the part that UCONN was tapped first, BC lobbied against us, then Pitt was served in as a replacement by ESPN.

Reaction Score
I'm so sick of conference realignment talk. UConn is in a real tough spot going forward. We need to pretty ourselves up and hike up our skirts for the Big 12, IMO. Been saying this for a long time. Big 10 is a pipe dream. ACC is a bigger stretch when you consider there are forces there lobbying against you. It's why I preach to just enjoy our games. Memphis, Tulane, Tulsa, ECU. I'll be watching to see OUR team. I'm real curious what Warde has in store for this program going forward. The games against BYU, and Boise are a nice start. Now he needs to start scheduling games against Power 5 conference schools and fast. I'm also real curious to see how recruits react to our new league once we've been playing in it for a few years and getting the exposure Aresco talked about.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The article left out the part that UCONN was tapped first, BC lobbied against us, then Pitt was served in as a replacement by ESPN.

That would be because nobody knows how true that is.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It's possible to infer that knowledge from DeFillipo's statement. Even if he didn't put out the exact words "UConn was chosen first," he would have no motive to say anything at all concerning UConn if it weren't true. You're "nobody knows" stance is just wrong.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Huh? Deflippo knows how true it is. Straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/?page=1

"The second target was Connecticut, which was part of the Northeast footprint the ACC wanted, and was coming off the daily double of a BCS bid in football and a championship in men’s basketball (the third for Jim Calhoun).
In addition, the women’s basketball program under Geno Auriemma had established itself as the most dominant in the sport over the past 15 years.
With growing instability in the Big East, both schools were bound to accept any offers.
While Syracuse presented no problem, UConn did - to BC, which was still fuming over what it perceived to be vitriolic comments made when BC was finally invited to join the ACC and started competing in 2005. UConn and Pittsburgh filed a lawsuit against BC, and Calhoun made comments about never playing BC again.
DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn.
“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’
Turning to Pittsburgh BC officials argued that Pittsburgh, with a stronger tradition in football, as well as a long-established - though dormant - rivalry with the Eagles, would be a better fit.
Although BC and UConn are the only FBS schools in New England, BC officials were reluctant to give UConn any more credence. Membership in the ACC would do that.
UConn had already reached milestones that BC had not - including national championships in men’s and women’s basketball and a BCS bid in football. And there was the lawsuit.
Duke and North Carolina, who have thrived as rivals and neighbors, didn’t quite understand the passion behind BC’s argument, but Pittsburgh seemed like a reasonable alternative. Under Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh had established itself as a national power in men’s basketball, so the Tobacco Road contingent didn’t argue. Calls were made and invitations were accepted.
For BC, it could also mean a crippling blow to UConn, which could be reduced to Conference USA-type status unless it finds a new home.
DeFilippo, who was vilified in some areas for making the move to the ACC eight years ago, says with some justification, “We made the right move and we did what was best for BC.’’

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's possible to infer that knowledge from DeFillipo's statement. Even if he didn't put out the exact words "UConn was chosen first," he would have no motive to say anything at all concerning UConn if it weren't true. You're "nobody knows" stance is just wrong.

Maybe you guys are too young to remember when actual journalists required two sources to run something. One person saying something does not make it true, especially when that person has a vested interest in how the outcome is perceived.

I was posting about the constant refrain here that ESPN picked the teams.

Gene looks like a hero to much of his fanbase if he blocks UConn. Call me when someone else says he was some successful horsetrader.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Maybe you guys are too young to remember when actual journalists required two sources to run something.

Just admit you were wrong. Veiled insults are, ironically, childish.

You're not saving face with stuff like this, just being obstinate.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Maybe you guys are too young to remember when actual journalists required two sources to run something. One person saying something does not make it true, especially when that person has a vested interest in how the outcome is perceived.

I was posting about the constant refrain here that ESPN picked the teams.

Gene looks like a hero to much of his fanbase if he blocks UConn. Call me when someone else says he was some successful horsetrader.

I don't know whaler, being quoted in a news piece and NOT refuting quotes after it went national but instead APOLOGIZING for them seems to me that the one person saying the something, in this case, actually said it.

I agree with what you said about him looking like a hero though. He successfully bought his BC (who knows how many) years of conference superiority over UCONN to try to gain ground back to our level.

Reaction Score
The same story also came out through a North Carolina source that had both the Duke and North Carolina presidents quoted as saying they were "incredulous" at BC given the competition on Tobacco Road. The story came from two different articles. Two different reporters. Two different sources. DeFillipo was actually in the room on that committee. Anyone would have quoted him in any era of journalism. When a person in authority gives it to you from the horse's mouth, you quote him.

Reaction Score
I believe in the background was inuendo that the Big 12 was talking to Pitt. The thought of the Big 12 being in PA, with the then crummy ACC ESPN contract was threatening to the ACC. This I can understand.

I can not understand, and find it crazy, that anyone from BCU can hold sway over how Tobacco road feels. If UNC wanted us BCU is not going to get their way, regardless of any committee structure.

The other item I can't quite understand is although I believe its true that UVA is a big supporter of UConn, they must be a very silent supporter.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The same story also came out through a North Carolina source that had both the Duke and North Carolina presidents quoted as saying they were "incredulous" at BC given the competition on Tobacco Road. The story came from two different articles. Two different reporters. Two different sources. DeFillipo was actually in the room on that committee. Anyone would have quoted him in any era of journalism. When a person in authority gives it to you from the horse's mouth, you quote him.

So can we nail down which one it is then?

Did ESPN pick the teams or did BC lock UConn out, since both are being proposed in this thread.

Gene is a proven liar and no one else has been quoted on the subject. Unnamed sources are worthless.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just admit you were wrong. Veiled insults are, ironically, childish.

You're not saving face with stuff like this, just being obstinate.

Ok which one is it? Did ESPN pick the teams or did BC just block them.

One known liar saying something might mean the world to you guys - personally I don't believe anything that comes from a leader at BC.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Ok which one is it? Did ESPN pick the teams or did BC just block them.

It's possible for both to be true.

By the way, why is it so important for you to deny this?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I can not understand, and find it crazy, that anyone from BCU can hold sway over how Tobacco road feels. If UNC wanted us BCU is not going to get their way, regardless of any committee structure.

Well, you're going to have to change your perception then, cause that crazy scenario really did come to pass.

Reaction Score
Well, you're going to have to change your perception then, cause that crazy scenario really did come to pass.

Maybe you are right, I always thought Tobacco road was on our side, but perhaps in a marginal way. To think UConn and Pitt mens bb is interchangable is folly, and history will show the overall superiority which the Huskies have always had.

Perhaps that moment in an NCAA bb game when a UConn player had a hard fowl against UNC and Dean Smith had a meltdown was more menacing than I remember. I wonder if anything behind the scenes between Calhoun and Smith ensued.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's possible for both to be true.

By the way, why is it so important for you to deny this?

It actually isn't possible for both to be true.

Either ESPN dictated the additions or they didn't. If they did BC had no input. If they didn't then BC may have had influence.

As for why this annoys me: it's time to accept UConn is in the AAC and support that. The constant wallowing as victims of BC or ESPN has grown tiring. This is the hand UConn has been dealt - there is no reason to continue to beat a dead horse. The ACC doesn't want UConn. I think it's a mistake but they don't care what you or I or anyone else thinks.

The posts were about the content of the article posted. That a CBS writer doesn't draw the same conclusions a UConn fan done is hardly condemning.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't know whaler, being quoted in a news piece and NOT refuting quotes after it went national but instead APOLOGIZING for them seems to me that the one person saying the something, in this case, actually said it.

I agree with what you said about him looking like a hero though. He successfully bought his BC (who knows how many) years of conference superiority over UCONN to try to gain ground back to our level.

Well if ESPN dictated the additions then they did. ESPN has legal reasons to keep that from being acknowledged - so a lack of a second source on the record from a school that was unhappy with the teams selected makes me skeptical.

Everyone on the record on this piece says it isn't the case. We've had plenty of threads about the liars at BC - so I'm not sure why in this case his word is taken as gospel.

End result is the same. Either get over or not, but it doesn't change where UConn is.

Dooley

Reaction Score
End result is the same. Either get over or not, but it doesn't change where UConn is.

We agree on this. Dominate the AAC and the rest will take care of itself.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We agree on this. Dominate the AAC and the rest will take care of itself.

I don't think it is exactly it. The fans need to show up, if UConn 'dominates' they probably will - but winning games while fans ignore them actually hurts.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Here, here. I'm in section 139 and ready to rock all season! Bowl game or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads