In Appreciation of UConn Women's Basketball | The Boneyard

In Appreciation of UConn Women's Basketball

Reaction Score
It has been a month since we lost to Mississippi State, and though it is still disappointing to think of it, nothing can possibly diminish the pride I have for our program. Nothing can turn my feeling from the incredible accomplishments we have achieved in the past 30 years. It has me reflecting on the constant and immense amount of appreciation I have for all we have done. Here are 5 specific things that I consider to be amongst the most amazing of our records and results over the years…..

THE 11 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – I think some take this number for granted without thinking of the magnitude of achievement. First of all, compare it to what others have done …. Some really good coaches have far fewer…. Kim and Tara have 2 each…. Muffet has one. Many have zero. The only coach who is close to this number, of course, is Pat Summit. And all but 2 of her 8 championships date from before 2000, when WCBB was certainly not as competitive.

11 titles in 22 years, or 1 every 2 years. That is so hard to achieve. What has made this possible? Certainly, our system, and the coaching and tutelage which has been our hallmark. I love it when people say that “UConn gets all the best players”…. This is only partially true… many of the players who have been NCAA title winners have not been blue chip recruits…. I think recently of Stefanie Dolson and Kelly Faris…. Bria and Gabby as well. They were not on par coming out of high school with Diamond, Elizabeth Williams, or Mercedes, to name some recent top shelf stars. We get great players, yes, but we also get the role players and the right players, who are team oriented, devoted to the program, and “bring it” every night with a fight and investment which is incomparable.

6 UNDEFEATED SEASONS – Again, 6 seasons without any losses! No other program can claim more than one! Tennessee, Texas, Baylor all have one. It is simply phenomenal, particularly in this era of heightened competition, that a team can go undefeated 6 times…. And the criticism of being in a conference which has less competition falls on deaf ears when considering that all but one of these perfect seasons occurred when we were in the Big East. The winning streaks of 110, 90, and 70 games are amazing. No other streak is close!! The winning percentage that goes along with the perfect seasons is incredible as well. Only 130 losses in 30 plus seasons…. What is that… 4 losses a season? Again, amazing!

BUILT FROM SCRATCH – ORGANICALLY!! - This is a distinction I greatly admire. It is one thing to be handed the reins to a program, like Coach P at Duke, or Holly W at Tennessee. It is far more laudible in my estimation to be a Geno, or a Calhoun on the men’s side, who along with Geno made Storrs the basketball capital of the country. Pat did the same thing at Tennessee. Scott Rueck at Oregon State. Building a program from the bottom up is a hard task, but the best can do it.

LAST CONSECUTIVE LOSSES (1993) – I think of this one all the time. I mean … are you kidding me?!! 2 losses in a row last occurred 24 years ago…. Is that 800 games ago? When you think of it, how difficult is it to keep the team’s focus on what it should be…. Each and every game…. Over such a time period…. There is nothing I can do but salute this statistic!

THE EXCELLENCE GAP - Of all the wonderful thoughts I have on this team, this is the quality I marvel at the most. The excellence gap between UConn and everyone else. To hear the naysayers proclaim that we cheat, we get all the best players, we play in a lesser conference, we do this and that… it is absolutely undeniable that UConn is by far the dominant program in the entire country. This cannot be said of any men’s program. Credit to our coaching staff for having the vision, engaging the players, creating a team environment, providing motivation, etc etc…. It has been such a wonderful thing to witness…..

Women’s college basketball is such a wonderful game. It is in times like this, summer down time, when I sit and just appreciate all our coaches, administration, and players have accomplished. Thank you for your ever-lasting commitment and success.

What do YOU consider the most impressive accomplishement or aspect of UConn’s women’s basketball program, now or over the years?

Reaction Score
What do YOU consider the most impressive accomplishement or aspect of UConn’s women’s basketball program, now or over the years?

I seriously question whether I can offer a reasonably informed opinion in answer to the above query. The data is truly impressive. And my knowledge is necessarily limited. I regard the "two consecutive losses" streak as a viable candidate for one of the most unbreakable records in the sport, maybe any team sport.

That said, in many ways I regard the accomplishments of this year's team as among the best representative of the UConnWBB program. Submitted for your approval, we find the following:

-two returning freshmen: one of whom (Lou) was a proven 3-point shooter with relatively little else to show on her otherwise respectable basketball resume; the other (Phees), a promising scorer but still something of an unknown in many phases of the game;
-two returning sophomores: one (Kia) a terrific defender but not necessarily a go-to scorer and with no demonstrated reliability as an outside shooter; the other (Gabby), a considerable athletic talent who (according to Geno) had the promise to become a "pretty good guard" if she could only learn to dribble, pass, and shoot;
-one returning senior: Saniya, who missed a substantial portion of the previous season due to injury, had not especially lived up to expectations, and was presumed by most to be a role player at best.

Beyond that, the team anticipated perhaps qualified success but limited minutes from a freshman (Crystal, who was even smaller than Moriah, if such a thing is possible), and whatever could be had from a big (Nat) coming off a broken thumb the previous year and who everyone hoped would spell some of the starters and compensate for the team's obvious lack of size in the low post. As for the rest (Kayla, Molly and Tierney), we had two more freshman of no great pedigree and a senior walk-on, none of whom (despite their terrific efforts) could be relied upon for much beyond mop-up time (which, remarkably, often began in the 3rd quarter).

Despite all that . . .
despite losing three All-American seniors to the WNBA draft;
despite carrying the burden of 4 consecutive national championships;
despite the omnipresent shadow of a 75-game winning streak coming into the season, and growing media scrutiny and fan hysteria with each passing win;
despite a schedule loaded up with ranked opponents;
despite losing a starting guard and leader (Kia) for 4 games down the home stretch;
despite effectively playing all season long with a rotation of at most 7 players, only one of whom was a senior;
despite a rather tough tournament bracket;
despite running into a red-hot MSU team playing its best basketball of the year, in a game where almost nothing seemed to go right for us, and yet where we forced OT only to lose on a 35-foot buzzer beater . . .

Despite all that . . .

The 2016-17 UConn WBB team went 36-1, ran the consecutive game win steak to a record 111, produced two first-team All-Americans and the National Defensive Player of the Year, broke just about every NCAABB team assist record known to woman or man, and came within a mouse-whisker of the national championship, a 5th consecutive title, and an undefeated season.

I may be wrong. But I question whether any of Geno's teams can match that kind of an achievement.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here are 5 specific things that I consider to be amongst the most amazing of our records and results over the years…..
I'll add in two more.

1. Having not only the longest WBB winning streak at 111. But having the second at 90 AND having the 3rd at 70. They are not even competing with anyone else.

2. Being part of WBB and MBB winning the NC in the same year. No other University has EVER done it. UCONN has done it twice. Just think IF any University ever does it, ever does it, they would still be behind UCONN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It has been a month since we lost to Mississippi State, and though it is still disappointing to think of it, nothing can possibly diminish the pride I have for our program. Nothing can turn my feeling from the incredible accomplishments we have achieved in the past 30 years. It has me reflecting on the constant and immense amount of appreciation I have for all we have done. Here are 5 specific things that I consider to be amongst the most amazing of our records and results over the years…..

THE 11 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – I think some take this number for granted without thinking of the magnitude of achievement. First of all, compare it to what others have done …. Some really good coaches have far fewer…. Kim and Tara have 2 each…. Muffet has one. Many have zero. The only coach who is close to this number, of course, is Pat Summit. And all but 2 of her 8 championships date from before 2000, when WCBB was certainly not as competitive.

11 titles in 22 years, or 1 every 2 years. That is so hard to achieve. What has made this possible? Certainly, our system, and the coaching and tutelage which has been our hallmark. I love it when people say that “UConn gets all the best players”…. This is only partially true… many of the players who have been NCAA title winners have not been blue chip recruits…. I think recently of Stefanie Dolson and Kelly Faris…. Bria and Gabby as well. They were not on par coming out of high school with Diamond, Elizabeth Williams, or Mercedes, to name some recent top shelf stars. We get great players, yes, but we also get the role players and the right players, who are team oriented, devoted to the program, and “bring it” every night with a fight and investment which is incomparable.

6 UNDEFEATED SEASONS – Again, 6 seasons without any losses! No other program can claim more than one! Tennessee, Texas, Baylor all have one. It is simply phenomenal, particularly in this era of heightened competition, that a team can go undefeated 6 times…. And the criticism of being in a conference which has less competition falls on deaf ears when considering that all but one of these perfect seasons occurred when we were in the Big East. The winning streaks of 110, 90, and 70 games are amazing. No other streak is close!! The winning percentage that goes along with the perfect seasons is incredible as well. Only 130 losses in 30 plus seasons…. What is that… 4 losses a season? Again, amazing!

BUILT FROM SCRATCH – ORGANICALLY!! - This is a distinction I greatly admire. It is one thing to be handed the reins to a program, like Coach P at Duke, or Holly W at Tennessee. It is far more laudible in my estimation to be a Geno, or a Calhoun on the men’s side, who along with Geno made Storrs the basketball capital of the country. Pat did the same thing at Tennessee. Scott Rueck at Oregon State. Building a program from the bottom up is a hard task, but the best can do it.

LAST CONSECUTIVE LOSSES (1993) – I think of this one all the time. I mean … are you kidding me?!! 2 losses in a row last occurred 24 years ago…. Is that 800 games ago? When you think of it, how difficult is it to keep the team’s focus on what it should be…. Each and every game…. Over such a time period…. There is nothing I can do but salute this statistic!

THE EXCELLENCE GAP - Of all the wonderful thoughts I have on this team, this is the quality I marvel at the most. The excellence gap between UConn and everyone else. To hear the naysayers proclaim that we cheat, we get all the best players, we play in a lesser conference, we do this and that… it is absolutely undeniable that UConn is by far the dominant program in the entire country. This cannot be said of any men’s program. Credit to our coaching staff for having the vision, engaging the players, creating a team environment, providing motivation, etc etc…. It has been such a wonderful thing to witness…..

Women’s college basketball is such a wonderful game. It is in times like this, summer down time, when I sit and just appreciate all our coaches, administration, and players have accomplished. Thank you for your ever-lasting commitment and success.

c6a1a272df283b20db9ff2615bfa67dd_whats-your-opinion-regarding-the-pacific-standard-swapping-exploi-preach-brother-meme_450-313.jpeg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is much harder to quantify, but the UCONN player development has been remarkable. Seldom does a player leave UCONN without having expanded their game in a significant way.
KML became an impressive offensive rebounder and post up player despite shrinking in her time at UCONN.
Moriah Jefferson led the team in 3pt shooting as a senior after being the team's worst 3Pt shooter as a freshmen.
Gabby Williams became a NPOY candidate by playing center at 5'11" and facilitating the UCONN offense from the high post and leading the team in assists.

Reaction Score
With all the accomplishment noted above, consistently having teams comprised of genuinely admirable young women.
It is so funny... I was thinking of this as well..... with respect to the term "class"...... I get tired of other programs citing their program as "classy" and their players as having true "class".... this may be true in some instances, but I say - perhaps with a degree of bias - that UConn has the blueprint on this.... when seeing young ladies entering and revisiting them when upon graduation..... there is no doubt that those in the UCWB program from admin, coaches, other players, and others, are all key contributors to help influence them to in turn influence others with whom they come in contact down the proverbial road of life..... again Thank You UConn!!! Makes me and other alums so proud

Reaction Score
Thank you for the post it has really brightened my day. I personally love the girls for the way the play, I guess they play basketball the way it was played in my younger days. So many great players and teams, all sharing so many records. I hope the girls have a great summer and come back to amaze us in the fall.

Reaction Score
One thing that came to mind when I was reading the "the excellence gap" portion of your post is the contribution to the team environment that Kathy Auriemma has made to the lives of all the young women who passed through the program through the years.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Read all the accolades and accomplishments, I started to think what has spawned these records. Recruiting, coaching, environment all came to mind. But it doesn't seem to encapsulated what has evolved in Storrs, CT.

When the young ladies commit to UConn basketball they are joining a family that has over 30 years of history. They are forever linked with all the greats that have gone before them. And they will be linked to all those who will follow them and continue all the traditions. From the starters to the last bench player, they are all part of the UConn women's basketball family.

Reaction Score
Absolutely fantastic post.

Reaction Score
One thing that came to mind when I was reading the "the excellence gap" portion of your post is the contribution to the team environment that Kathy Auriemma has made to the lives of all the young women who passed through the program through the years.
Yes thank you.... what an incredible and invaluable piece to the puzzle she is... doing everything to fill in the gaps and provide extended family member and confidante to the players....

I love the story she has said when i think Bria and Stefanie knocked on her door, and she told them Coach was not home. They said "We know!!"

Reaction Score
Yes thank you.... what an incredible and invaluable piece to the puzzle she is... doing everything to fill in the gaps and provide extended family member and confidante to the players....

I love the story she has said when i think Bria and Stefanie knocked on her door, and she told them Coach was not home. They said "We know!!"

THat was Diana Taurasi and another player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom