In an NFL draft like no other, UConn tackle Matt Peart’s dream is within arm’s reach (Dom Amore) | The Boneyard

In an NFL draft like no other, UConn tackle Matt Peart’s dream is within arm’s reach (Dom Amore)

Reaction Score

>>After spending the last four years as a starting offensive tackle at UConn, including a redshirt senior season that earned him first-team All-American Athletic Conference honors, Peart figures to be the third Huskie selected in the NFL draft since 2017 this week. Most projections have him coming off the board on the second or third day of the draft, which starts Thursday, in the third or fourth round.

It’s sort of a strange but pleasant thought for O’Leary when looking back.

Frankly, it is for Peart, too. “From time to time I reminisce when I was a freshman on JV playing tight end, and now, I’m an offensive tackle looking to play in the NFL,” Peart said. “It’s kind of crazy.”

At 6-foot-7, 318 pounds, Peart is mostly touted for his length and athletic ability entering the draft. He started at both left and right tackle in college, and his performance at the combine solidified most evaluations of Peart as a potential starter after a couple of years as a backup. Yet, quite a number of tackles are projected to come off the board before him, and some mock drafts even have Peart getting selected as deep as the sixth round.

Peart doesn’t care — he just wants to get to the next level. “It’s amazing, it’s like all your hard work has come through,” he said. “For these next few days coming up, it’s kind of surreal … it’s honestly a dream come true. I just can’t wait. I’m getting tongue-tied, I can’t even talk.” <<

Reaction Score

>> Many analysts see UConn offensive tackle Matt Peart, a raw talent, as the first of the state’s players drafted, projecting him as high as the second round, or early third.

“Peart is a guy who is still developing,” Kiper said. "A developing talent, still a little inexperienced in terms of football, but 6-6 ½ , almost 320 pounds, he’s got phenomenally long arms. He’s a gifted athlete and the arm-length that he has, the way he moves, the potential he has, if he’s coached up, with the computer numbers he had, Peart could be a good, really good third-round pick for somebody.”<<

Reaction Score
The players remaining on Dane Brugler’s (The Athletic) top 300 draft board entering Day 2

The players remaining on Dane Brugler’s top 300 draft...

>>102. Matt Peart, OT, UConn (6-6, 318) - Although he is a good-natured person and has strong hands, Peart needs to flip that mean switch when on the field and be more of a line of scrimmage changer in the run game. He routinely gets the job done in pass protection due to his remarkable length and adequate feet, but he plays tall and his mechanics tend to break down versus speed. Overall, Peart is a developmental offensive tackle in terms of strength and technique, but the physical traits and intangibles are present to be an eventual NFL starter if he adds more glass to his diet, projecting as a midround pick.<<

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
5 Tackles drafted in the first round. This bodes well for him as I can't see him going lower than 3rd round. Would love if he was there for my Kansas City Chiefs to draft him and have him learn and grow behind Schwartz and Fisher.

Reaction Score

Peart projected to Arizona in the 3rd round (#72).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom