In a nutshell... | The Boneyard

In a nutshell...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn offers no more competition to a power conference team than does a low major.

I’m not surprised that we lose to them - our roster is littered with mid-major talent and some of them just prospects at that. That’s purely the result of a head coach who took a sabbatical from recruiting while alienating half of his roster. (“Ten toes in....yours, not mine.”) But we don’t even get in their way - Villanova did not have a single anxious moment today.

What talent is here is on its own. It doesn’t get better, it doesn’t get stronger and it certainly doesn’t enter games with any sort of plan of attack. We have players, they play games and to the extent that he physically occupies space on the bench, we have a coach.

The next and perhaps last round of conference shuffling is coming in a few years and while we’re likely on the outside looking in no matter what, we’re definitely screwed if we head into that scramble with the 200th best basketball program. The money involved in a coaching change is huge, but the money involved in being permanently excluded from the power conferences is much, much bigger.

All this is frustrating and disappointing. Ollie could have been great - 2014 was not a fluke, but he stopped working and I don’t know that he can ever get it back.

Reaction Score
@Fishy this is like Deja vu....history has repeated itself with UConn hoops Rowe to Perno..Calhoun to Ollie. It’s time for Ollie to go.

Reaction Score
Something has to change. I dont know when that will happen, but something really needs to change. I was at the game today, I was at the Syracuse game at MSG, and I was at the Cincy game last year at Gampel. Im sick of leaving these games with such a dejected feeling after watching blowout loss after blowout loss. I remember when I couldnt sleep the nights before I was going to a big game. Now, things are just so different.

Reaction Score
UConn offers no more competition to a power conference team than does a low major.

I’m not surprised that we lose to them - our roster is littered with mid-major talent and some of them just prospects at that. That’s purely the result of a head coach who took a sabbatical from recruiting while alienating half of his roster. (“Ten toes in....yours, not mine.”) But we don’t even get in their way - Villanova did not have a single anxious moment today.

What talent is here is on its own. It doesn’t get better, it doesn’t get stronger and it certainly doesn’t enter games with any sort of plan of attack. We have players, they play games and to the extent that he physically occupies space on the bench, we have a coach.

The next and perhaps last round of conference shuffling is coming in a few years and while we’re likely on the outside looking in no matter what, we’re definitely screwed if we head into that scramble with the 200th best basketball program. The money involved in a coaching change is huge, but the money involved in being permanently excluded from the power conferences is much, much bigger.

All this is frustrating and disappointing. Ollie could have been great - 2014 was not a fluke, but he stopped working and I don’t know that he can ever get it back.
There needs to be a new coach and there will be if we're still serious about athletics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

All correct, and none of which I understand. If somebody, anybody, can please explain WTF kind of offense this is, I'm all ears. Its been an issue since he arrived at Uconn.

Reaction Score
How much of this is Ollie as opposed to the fact we play in a mid major conference. This was all inevitable. We just need to learn to change our expectations. UConn is a basketball school that is now playing in a mid major basketball conference.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
How much of this is Ollie as opposed to the fact we play in a mid major conference. This was all inevitable. We just need to learn to change our expectations. UConn is a basketball school that is now playing in a mid major basketball conference.
Cincy is doing just fine. Wichita is doing just fine. SMU and Houston are doing alright. The conference isn't a huge selling point, but if we were still winning games, we'd be just fine in this conference.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Weird how there has been a number of different AAC teams in the Top 25 (currently 2; 1 Top 10). And UCONN is in the bottom 5 of this 'mid major' conference.

Reaction Score

Why doesn't everyone see what is so obvious?? I get the buyout sucks. But permanent damage is being done by letting this continue. The disparity between the two programs on the court today is STAGGERING. And let's keep in mind people......Nova is NOT a P5 team in a P5 conference. I would take what they have right now in a heartbeat. In a matter of years, UConn will be no more relevant than St Johns. The time to act is NOW......KO has been given enough time and the results are resoundingly underwhelming. The only message he is getting right now is that it's ok. Well it sure as hell ain't ok to me. My support, and dollars, are gone until someone wakes up and makes a change.

Reaction Score
You can be Coach K, Roy Williams, and Bill Self all rolled in to one, and they could have the best designed offense ever and they couldn’t win with this team. We are a team of crappy shooters. Look at the season stats, they don’t lie. Wide open shots missed up and down our lineup. We need to recruit better basketball players who can shoot.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
You can be Coach K, Roy Williams, and Bill Self all rolled in to one, and they could have the best designed offense ever and they couldn’t win with this team. We are a team of crappy shooters. Look at the season stats, they don’t lie. Wide open shots missed up and down our lineup. We need to recruit better basketball players who can shoot.

You are right. It is completely outside of a coaches responsibility to teach shooting, dribbling, off-hand layups and boxing out.

Reaction Score

Any competent coach puts what talent he has in the best possible position to succeed. Ollie?

They miss alot of contested and rushed shots, or shots taken with the clock running down.
That's on the coach.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You are right. It is completely outside of a coaches responsibility to teach shooting, dribbling, off-hand layups and boxing out.
Taking your post as sarcasm, true. That’s why teams have shooting coaches. They correct form flaws and work to build a consistent stroke. The off hand stuff is on the player, though. You just have to have the dedication to work at it.

Speaking of which, I have seen Carlton develop his post game since the beginning of the year, so there’s that.

Reaction Score
KO apparently doesn’t make much progress teaching those things either, but some players are better shooters than others. Who is a good shooter on our team? Who is a good shooter on our team looking at a wide open 3? If you watched today we had 3 treys that were not garbage time. This game was not a one of.

Reaction Score
In a nut shell is Larrier ... he’s our 2nd leading scorer who can’t put the ball down without him turning the ball over , then with that being said he starts taking these one dribble quick shots, as a defender I know he’s lost all confidence in his ability ... and he’s a liability on d

I believe Ollie will be back for one more season and if I was him I would be putting all my eggs in 2018 recruits or grad transfer to win now , get the guys who can make the simple basketball plays

Akinjo, Matthews, Williams, AG depends on health. CV, JC, and I’ll take JA if he’s willing, then I’m on the trail to get more shooters n a grad transfer big who skilled and physical

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Our two supposingly "NBA prospect" are getting their pockets picked for some time now.I don't mean once in awhile. It is happening at least twice a game from both of them. Cousy watch? please.

Reaction Score

The conference didn’t alienate an entire class of kids. The conference didn’t fail to develop players. The conference isn’t running no offense whatsoever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom