In 10 Years, how will WV be doing in the Big 12? | The Boneyard

In 10 Years, how will WV be doing in the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand why WV thinks they should move to the Big 12, but I've thought alot about how they will perform in football in the Big 12 over time. In my opinion, the biggest beneficiary of the moves of Miami, BC, and VT to the ACC was West Virginia as they became the top dog in the BE and benefitted by playing in (and winning) 3 BCS bowls. In addition, because they played in the BE, the Northeastern media paid attention. I think we will look back and call this the golden age of WV football as they were consistently a very good team and the standard bearer for a conference. (I think Miami has suffered from the same issues with their move to the ACC.)

In the Big 12, WV will not and will never be the top dog as that will always be Texas and Oklahoma. WV will probably battle it out for the 3rd spot in the conference with Oklahoma St., TCU, and Texas Tech over time. Baylor and Kansas St are on the upswing, but I don't think it's sustainable over time. This is not to say that WV can't win the Big 12 in a given year, but it's unlikely to win the conference consistently over time. Will the WV fans be happy with 8-4 or 7-5 seasons? Will WV be ignored as the geographical outlier in the Big 12? Will recruiting hold up as the memory of BCS bowls fades?

Clearly, it will be more fun for WV fans to see Texas and Oklahoma visit Morgantown over seeing SMU and Houston visit. But, expect more losses. According to the Sagarin ratings, WV would have been ranked 7th in the New Big 12 last year.

My prediction, in 10 years, WV football will be a middle of the pack B12 team and they will suffer a couple of seasons of 6-6 or worse.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
There will not be a B12 conference in 10 years. I am not even convinced that there will be a B12 conference 5 years from now.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
In my NCAA football dynasty I put WVU in the new reconfigured Big XII and they finished 4-8 every year. That's proof they're gonna suck. Take that Mounties!

Reaction Score
I understand why WV thinks they should move to the Big 12, but I've thought alot about how they will perform in football in the Big 12 over time. In my opinion, the biggest beneficiary of the moves of Miami, BC, and VT to the ACC was West Virginia as they became the top dog in the BE and benefitted by playing in (and winning) 3 BCS bowls. In addition, because they played in the BE, the Northeastern media paid attention. I think we will look back and call this the golden age of WV football as they were consistently a very good team and the standard bearer for a conference. (I think Miami has suffered from the same issues with their move to the ACC.)

In the Big 12, WV will not and will never be the top dog as that will always be Texas and Oklahoma. WV will probably battle it out for the 3rd spot in the conference with Oklahoma St., TCU, and Texas Tech over time. Baylor and Kansas St are on the upswing, but I don't think it's sustainable over time. This is not to say that WV can't win the Big 12 in a given year, but it's unlikely to win the conference consistently over time. Will the WV fans be happy with 8-4 or 7-5 seasons? Will WV be ignored as the geographical outlier in the Big 12? Will recruiting hold up as the memory of BCS bowls fades?

Clearly, it will be more fun for WV fans to see Texas and Oklahoma visit Morgantown over seeing SMU and Houston visit. But, expect more losses. According to the Sagarin ratings, WV would have been ranked 7th in the New Big 12 last year.

My prediction, in 10 years, WV football will be a middle of the pack B12 team and they will suffer a couple of seasons of 6-6 or worse.

Very true, everyone assumes the better conference will be more fun, then they find out its only more fun when they are winning. Losing sucks no matter what conference you are in. I do however expect WV to win their share of games unlike Syracuse in their new conference. Cuse better stay comfortable with 5 win seasons.

Reaction Score
basically they are going to be similar to Iowa st this year. finish 6-6 and get beaten like a rented mule by rutgers in the pinstripe bowl.

Reaction Score
As much as I loved that reply, to answer the original question... I think they'll do OK. They get a lot of FLA kids and should be competitive.

I think they'll be OK too. I just don't care whatsoever.

Reaction Score

WVA has a solid football program. They will be fine.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think they'll be OK too. I just don't care whatsoever.
+1, although I might get a chuckle or two if they tanked.

Reaction Score
They'll be top dogs in the B12 in 10 years. Of course, Texas, Texas Tech, OU, OSU, Kansas, and possibly KSU will all have moved on by then.

Reaction Score
before Miami and VTech left the BE, WVU was basically a 2nd tier team in the league and those two teams opened up a lot of opportunity for them to establish themselves nationally by dominating a BCS conference. i have a feeling they'll settle back in behind Oklahoma and Texas and compete with the likes of OKState and TCU for occasional trips to the Cotton Bowl. although i wouldn't be surprised if the cotton bowl is a bcs bowl in 5-10 years if such a thing exists in which case they'll be competing for trips to the Alamo Bowl

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
WVU's football program will be fine, but basketball will suffer, especially once Huggins leaves. The long distances are really tough on hoops because of all the midweek travel.

Reaction Score
I agree with UConnJim. WVU had their golden era the last 10 years ... times will get tough.

Reaction Score
before Miami and VTech left the BE, WVU was basically a 2nd tier team in the league and those two teams opened up a lot of opportunity for them to establish themselves nationally by dominating a BCS conference. i have a feeling they'll settle back in behind Oklahoma and Texas and compete with the likes of OKState and TCU for occasional trips to the Cotton Bowl. although i wouldn't be surprised if the cotton bowl is a bcs bowl in 5-10 years if such a thing exists in which case they'll be competing for trips to the Alamo Bowl

Not true. They were a good team early on and won a title or two with Major Harris at QB. West Virginia has a much better football history than you give them credit for.

Reaction Score
i never said they weren't a good team. i agree they were, but as the top dog in the Big East they were great. between 2003 and 2011 they had part or all of 6 conference championships, played in 3 BCS games and 4 Gator Bowls. in the previous 50 years they played in 3 "BCS" bowls and 3 Gator Bowls and won 7 or 8 conference championships. nobody prospered and benefit from the original new big east as much as WVU, although we're probably second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom