Improvement | The Boneyard

Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As sick as it sounds, there was improvement. The Oline played better, run game was better, pass game was better, d line was better. BUT, we still are woeful and seem to self destruct. Wagner's punt single handedly changed the momentum and cost us a chance at winning the game. dB tackling atrocious. LBs and DEs loose contain, too many coverage breakdowns.

I think we may still win one or two this season if there is continued improvement. Rutgers is our bowl am I could see W there and/or a W against Temple.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
We are what we are we have a long way to the bottom,but I still 2-3 wins

Reaction Score
Offense looked better. Casey reminds me a little of Whitmer, but it's waaaaay too soon to pass judgement.

On second and short we need to go for the jugular and try the vertical passing game from here on out.

Reaction Score
Poor play. Poor coaching. How do you not go on 4th down with a possible 42 yard field goal when our kicker hasn't made one all year? How does a punter kick one 14 yards with the game on the line? Team is a mess at this point. If we get a win its because the other team self destructs I think.

Reaction Score
As sick as it sounds, there was improvement. The Oline played better, run game was better, pass game was better, d line was better. BUT, we still are woeful and seem to self destruct. Wagner's punt single handedly changed the momentum and cost us a chance at winning the game. dB tackling atrocious. LBs and DEs loose contain, too many coverage breakdowns.

I think we may still win one or two this season if there is continued improvement. Rutgers is our bowl am I could see W there and/or a W against Temple.

Would love to see us win 2 games...(this year!!)

Reaction Score

Screen passes were executed better than I've seen in a long time. A good screen game slows the pass rush.

Reaction Score
Poor play. Poor coaching. How do you not go on 4th down with a possible 42 yard field goal when our kicker hasn't made one all year? How does a punter kick one 14 yards with the game on the line? Team is a mess at this point. If we get a win its because the other team self destructs I think.

The problem is that the team is so bad, or playing so badly, that every shanked punt, fumble, dropped pass, interception, etc. becomes a catastrophe. Good teams have these things happen as well. But, on good teams, players pick each other up; make plays that offset the occasional fumble or shank. The bad plays become foot notes and coaching points.

I get the feeling that our guys, even when things are (very) occasionally going well, are wondering when the "bad thing" that throws everything off kilter is going to happen. It then becomes a case of, "here we go again." By the way, add Psychiatrist to the list of traits needed to become the next Head Coach.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that our guys, even when things are (very) occasionally going well, are wondering when the "bad thing" that throws everything off kilter is going to happen. It then becomes a case of, "here we go again." By the way, add Psychiatrist to the list of traits needed to become the next Head Coach.

Discussed @ today's press conference: A few of the beat guys mentioned it. Here's Dez (because they are consecutive)

desmondconner11:37am via web
Weist on losers mentality: "You can see it. You can see it on the field."

desmondconner11:38am via web
Weist "guys have to break mold of here we go again" when fall behind or losing

desmondconner11:39am via web
Weist: "I can yell, scream and motivate, but you have to go out and make it happen."

UConnFB_Andrew11:37am via Web
Weist saying guys are motivated, fired up during the week while preparing. Also says leadership is needed after poor plays on gameday.

edit - JS Article addressing it. http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/tuesday-presser-getting-over-losers-mentality/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Discussed @ today's press conference: A few of the beat guys mentioned it. Here's Dez (because they are consecutive)

desmondconner11:37am via web
Weist on losers mentality: "You can see it. You can see it on the field."

desmondconner11:38am via web
Weist "guys have to break mold of here we go again" when fall behind or losing

desmondconner11:39am via web
Weist: "I can yell, scream and motivate, but you have to go out and make it happen."

UConnFB_Andrew11:37am via Web

Weist saying guys are motivated, fired up during the week while preparing. Also says leadership is needed after poor plays on gameday.

I'd love to say great minds think alike. I'd be fibbing. My mind ain't all that great.

Last edited:

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I sat 9 rows behind the Husky bench almost the entire game last weekend and I can tell you there was very little emotion or leadership exhibited from the players or coaches. Except for one time at the start of the 2nd half when Lyle tried to pump the team up, I didn't hear anyone raise their voice or try to get something going. It was all too "business-like" when something bad happened, like everyone treated it as a "teaching moment" only. Anyone who's played competitive sports knows this is not good, especially when your margin for error is razor thin on skills and game plan/execution alone.

The lack of emotion and leadership, combined with unbelievably soft coverage by our DBs and bad special team's play, is what doomed us Saturday, and will continue to doom us unless players and coaches step up and step out. The rest of this season should be about personal and team pride, and that means getting fired up and emotional.

Reaction Score
I sat 9 rows behind the Husky bench almost the entire game last weekend and I can tell you there was very little emotion or leadership exhibited from the players or coaches. Except for one time at the start of the 2nd half when Lyle tried to pump the team up, I didn't hear anyone raise their voice or try to get something going. It was all too "business-like" when something bad happened, like everyone treated it as a "teaching moment" only. Anyone who's played competitive sports knows this is not good, especially when your margin for error is razor thin on skills and game plan/execution alone.

The lack of emotion and leadership, combined with unbelievably soft coverage by our DBs and bad special team's play, is what doomed us Saturday, and will continue to doom us unless players and coaches step up and step out. The rest of this season should be about personal and team pride, and that means getting fired up and emotional.

I think Weist is doing the best he can with a bunch of players that have basically given up. They are probably deaf to screaming , and have learned no accountability through PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom