Impressed | The Boneyard

Impressed

Reaction Score
That was the #32 team in the country on KemPom. They were also 29th in adjusted offense and shot 27% from the field against a defense that has begun to look longer and more athletic with every minute Polley and Whaley get under their belt. It's immensely beneficial at any level when every player on the court can contest above the rim, but in college that's especially true. Watch Virginia sometime. Or don't, since their games are brutal. Either way, there is a guy in Tony Bennett who has built a great program by tapping into the marketing inefficiencies that tend to produce players like Whaley and Polley.

I try to remain level-headed after losses, so I can't overreact to a win. A lot of this is just part of the natural variance that you are going to see within a college basketball season and not a sign that we've turned any of corner. Bad teams look good sometimes at home. SMU looked like a reeling, short-handed team that had flown in from Dallas and was cold. I think they're coming off a loss at home to Temple, and without Foster, their tournament hopes are now very much in doubt.

But by the same token I tend to discard the Nova game. We simply aren't ready to compete with that caliber of team and there was no amount of preparation or marketing campaigns that were going to close that gap. We looked like a lower tier SEC team trying to play the Packers - start by working towards Georgia and Alabama and go from there. Providence is a lot better than us and they lost by 20 the other night. The goal should be to be as good as Providence by the end of the year and not Nova.

I think a game like this does pose some questions about Larrier. That's not to say we're a better team without him, but the roles seem more settled without him (although the opposite was true against Memphis) and he has started to assume some Purvis like vibes in that you're not really sure what he is. Is he a pick and pop guy? Is he a defensive ace? Is he a one on one guy who keeps the offense above water? I don't know.

Either way, the best case scenario for this season has always been one where the young guys become contributors and the older guys (I guess I am considering Vital old) begin to look better by extension. This is a bit of a wacky league where SMU can beat Wichita on the road and then lose to Temple at home. Outside of Cincinnati, all of these teams seem just as ADD as us and that gives you a shot at the end of the year in Orlando. If we can make it what we did a couple years ago where it's a partial UConn crowd, that can make a difference. Between Whaley, Polley, and Carlton, the front court is beginning to look competent. It has been a very tender sort of progress, especially when they have the ball in their hands, but that is typically the way it goes with these type of players. All of them look more comfortable and assertive now than they did just a few games ago.

Last thing: give the students credit for continuing to come to these games. It would be very easy to rake them over the coals for being entitled, shallow, self-occupied etc. if things were different, but they're still there providing a real home court advantage despite the fact that this isn't what they signed up for. A lot of these students don't know any better and sometimes that can be a good thing. It's what I've tried to stress to people on this board. It's OK to still enjoy yourself even if the team isn't what we're accustomed to it being and no that doesn't mean you're tolerating mediocrity. Sunday, I think, will be as telling a game as we've played in a while. Those are the type of games, away from home against an opponent in your weight class, without much glamour attached to it, that gauge whether the arrow is up, down, or in neutral.

Reaction Score
While many have stated that 2014 was about Shabazz Napier as Player-Coach ....

I thought the truly inspired component of that team - credit to Kevin Ollie - was how he developed roles through the first 7 players. They seem to find their way to how to play better as a unit. Like ... Boatwright increasingly becoming to on-ball menace.

It seems we are seeing some of that as we approach February. Particularly with Vital and the 3 FR Bigs. Are there other parts of Coaching that seems lacking? Yup

It’s more fun watching Polley, Whaley, Carlton than Enoch, Durham, Jackson. Is that just my brain playing tricks? I don’t think so. I think the lost 3 were the kids we knew growing up that didn’t play nice with others. Disenchanted- for whatever reason. This year ... there is genuine emotion and lift to the FR.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That was the #32 team in the country on KemPom. They were also 29th in adjusted offense and shot 27% from the field against a defense that has begun to look longer and more athletic with every minute Polley and Whaley get under their belt. It's immensely beneficial at any level when every player on the court can contest above the rim, but in college that's especially true. Watch Virginia sometime. Or don't, since their games are brutal. Either way, there is a guy in Tony Bennett who has built a great program by tapping into the marketing inefficiencies that tend to produce players like Whaley and Polley.

I try to remain level-headed after losses, so I can't overreact to a win. A lot of this is just part of the natural variance that you are going to see within a college basketball season and not a sign that we've turned any of corner. Bad teams look good sometimes at home. SMU looked like a reeling, short-handed team that had flown in from Dallas and was cold. I think they're coming off a loss at home to Temple, and without Foster, their tournament hopes are now very much in doubt.

But by the same token I tend to discard the Nova game. We simply aren't ready to compete with that caliber of team and there was no amount of preparation or marketing campaigns that were going to close that gap. We looked like a lower tier SEC team trying to play the Packers - start by working towards Georgia and Alabama and go from there. Providence is a lot better than us and they lost by 20 the other night. The goal should be to be as good as Providence by the end of the year and not Nova.

I think a game like this does pose some questions about Larrier. That's not to say we're a better team without him, but the roles seem more settled without him (although the opposite was true against Memphis) and he has started to assume some Purvis like vibes in that you're not really sure what he is. Is he a pick and pop guy? Is he a defensive ace? Is he a one on one guy who keeps the offense above water? I don't know.

Either way, the best case scenario for this season has always been one where the young guys become contributors and the older guys (I guess I am considering Vital old) begin to look better by extension. This is a bit of a wacky league where SMU can beat Wichita on the road and then lose to Temple at home. Outside of Cincinnati, all of these teams seem just as ADD as us and that gives you a shot at the end of the year in Orlando. If we can make it what we did a couple years ago where it's a partial UConn crowd, that can make a difference. Between Whaley, Polley, and Carlton, the front court is beginning to look competent. It has been a very tender sort of progress, especially when they have the ball in their hands, but that is typically the way it goes with these type of players. All of them look more comfortable and assertive now than they did just a few games ago.

Last thing: give the students credit for continuing to come to these games. It would be very easy to rake them over the coals for being entitled, shallow, self-occupied etc. if things were different, but they're still there providing a real home court advantage despite the fact that this isn't what they signed up for. A lot of these students don't know any better and sometimes that can be a good thing. It's what I've tried to stress to people on this board. It's OK to still enjoy yourself even if the team isn't what we're accustomed to it being and no that doesn't mean you're tolerating mediocrity. Sunday, I think, will be as telling a game as we've played in a while. Those are the type of games, away from home against an opponent in your weight class, without much glamour attached to it, that gauge whether the arrow is up, down, or in neutral.

I can't even imagine being a student now. Thanks to this regime, they have never seen vintage UConn basketball outside of YouTube.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The defense was tremendous after the first few minutes, when they let SMU get a few clean looks. Polley is key, as he is much quicker to close out shooters than our other perimeter defenders. Whaley's shot blocking is starting to affect people even before they shoot. That's key. Carlton dominated on the defensive boards.

On offense. Not one isolation play all night. Didn't see them dribbling pointlessly well outside the three point line, or a guard waving players away to generate a clear out. Not once. And that was half our plays most of the season. Instead they moved and they moved the ball. They played with flow and speed...you know, like many teams do. First time I've seen us play that way in at least two years. The results was better shooting and many more assists. It should have been more as we had several great feeds go to waste.

Let's hope this is the new philosophy. If we still with this style of play, we can win some games.

Reaction Score
I can't even imagine being a student now. Thanks to this regime, they have never seen vintage UConn basketball outside of YouTube.

Not sure what this has to do with this topic? Oh yeah it doesn't have anything to do with anything its just WHH spew no matter what thread it's on. Do you even know anything about basketball because Lord knows you can't talk about it ever.

Lose the agenda and try to enjoy a breath or 2 Deb.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's a nice resume win but they haven't won a road game yet so it isn't as good it seems.

We also scored the same 61 or so points that we've been averaging the last 6 games. You aren't winning many games if you can't score at least 70 once in a while.

Reaction Score
It's a nice resume win but they haven't won a road game yet so it isn't as good it seems.

We also scored the same 61 or so points that we've been averaging the last 6 games. You aren't winning many games if you can't score at least 70 once in a while.

Oh damn forgot about those 2 things thanks. People please stop enjoying this win, it's was Fake Winning. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In my view it was a really good win. Probably as good as they have looked all year (excepting the first 8 minutes). The question is does this carry over to the next one or was it one of those upsets that happen over the course of a season.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Let's hope this is the new philosophy. If we still with this style of play, we can win some games.

It's always our philosophy going into games.

It hinges on whether players other than Jalen can make a shot in a particular game. Many games nobody can so then the clear outs for Jalen start because at that point ,quite frankly™ , that is out best offense .

Reaction Score
SMU looked like a reeling, short-handed team that had flown in from Dallas and was cold. I think they're coming off a loss at home to Temple, and without Foster, their tournament hopes are now very much in doubt.
Actually, SMU came in after beating #17 Wichita State. However, the Mustanges are short handed due to injuries to Foster and another guy. ... taking every win we can get, don't care how, who, etc.!

Reaction Score
Actually, SMU came in after beating #17 Wichita State. However, the Mustanges are short handed due to injuries to Foster and another guy. ... taking every win we can get, don't care how, who, etc.!
Also they beat Wichita State without foster so this win is not no disclaimer..!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's always our philosophy going into games.

It hinges on whether players other than Jalen can make a shot in a particular game. Many games nobody can so then the clear outs for Jalen start because at that point ,quite frankly™ , that is out best offense .

I don't believe this. We run isolation and pick and roll 90% of the time we run anything. Yesterday we ran 0% of either of those. It was an entirely new offensive approach. Either Ollie read the UConn Blog slamming him after Nova, or he saw how well their offense runs. It isn't just players making shots, we couldn't be Nova with these players. But we definitely did not even attempt to play offense that way at any time in the last two years...until last night. I hope he has seen the light and puts the old offense in the trash for good.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don't believe this. We run isolation and pick and roll 90% of the time we run anything. Yesterday we ran 0% of either of those. It was an entirely new offensive approach. Either Ollie read the UConn Blog slamming him after Nova, or he saw how well their offense runs. It isn't just players making shots, we couldn't be Nova with these players. But we definitely did not even attempt to play offense that way at any time in the last two years...until last night. I hope he has seen the light and puts the old offense in the trash for good.

@boog204 ^^

Reaction Score
It was a very good win. It was probably the best step forward since the Oregon game and maybe even surpasses that. But we have seen these games before. We have even seen a couple of them back-to-back. It needs to be the rule and not the exception. They need to play this way 90% of the time. And, no, I am not saying they need to win 90% of their games. They need to compete 90% of the time.

Reaction Score

Isn't part of the reason our offense looked different because SMU played zone almost the entire game? I assume Ollie knew that was coming and planned for it accordingly. I would also imagine that's why Polley started at the 4 instead of Whaley, so we could put a skilled guy at the foul line area.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
In my view it was a really good win. Probably as good as they have looked all year (excepting the first 8 minutes). The question is does this carry over to the next one or was it one of those upsets that happen over the course of a season.
Great point. I think it will. They actually looked like they were enjoying themselves. All they need is confidence. It looked good last night. Temple is a scary game to me. All depends if they show up and upset or our defense smothers them. At Temple, huge crowd. I may see if there is any tickets left. Temple is an hour and half from me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Isn't part of the reason our offense looked different because SMU played zone almost the entire game? I assume Ollie knew that was coming and planned for it accordingly. I would also imagine that's why Polley started at the 4 instead of Whaley, so we could put a skilled guy at the foul line area.

We've been seeing zone consistently for two years. Nothing new. This was not the approach to zone busting that we've employed under Ollie previously.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We've been seeing zone consistently for two years. Nothing new. This was not the approach to zone busting that we've employed under Ollie previously.
I think the biggest difference was Vital hitting from deep early (at least after the first TV timeout). If he was shooting the way he shot against Memphis, things would have fallen apart quickly. We never really had the mentality in the SMU game that we needed to score quickly (and big, 3 points at a time) that we have had in other games. That allowed us to also feed inside, swing the ball to Polley (we did it twice in the first half where he obviously did not want to shoot), etc. This game was a start but I still don't have a lot of confidence in our ball handlers sticking with a 'run offense and move the ball' mindset if we have a double digit deficit ten minutes in (which easily could have happened against SMU if we didn't immediately erase the eight point deficit four minutes in).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom