OT: Important Weather Message | The Boneyard

OT: Important Weather Message

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s very, very cold out. And windy.

We left wet laundry in the dryer this morning and forgot to turn it on. (By ‘we”, I mean my wife - this laundry thing generally happens out of my sight. I’m not entirely sure how it all works, but it seems we’re at the stage of the process somewhere in the middle of my throwing the laundry on the floor and it reappearing happy and folded somewhere in my closet.)

The west wind blew right in the exhaust vent and froze our laundry solid. It’s a twisted tangle of solid laundry. It’s kind of impressive. Looks like little like hell took up origami right there in my dryer.

An attempt at drying the frozen laundry was catastrophically calamitous and threaten to destroy the machine and perhaps the north wing of the house, so we will either fetch the space heater to defrost the laundry or just wait until spring and reassess the situation then,

So I guess the message is that until the weather breaks, we all might need to be more vigilant in reminding our spouses of the necessity of more diligent attention to their housework. We all have to do our part.

Reaction Score

We left wet laundry in the dryer this morning and forgot to turn it on. (By ‘we”, I mean my wife - this laundry thing generally happens out of my sight. I’m not entirely sure how it all works, but it seems we’re at the stage of the process somewhere in the middle of my throwing the laundry on the floor and it reappearing happy and folded somewhere in my closet.)

The west wind blew right in the exhaust vent and froze our laundry solid. It’s a twisted tangle of solid laundry. It’s kind of impressive. Looks like little like hell took up origami right there in my dryer.

An attempt at drying the frozen laundry was catastrophically calamitous and threaten to destroy the machine and perhaps the north wing of the house, so we will either fetch the space heater to defrost the laundry or just wait until spring and reassess the situation then,

So I guess the message is that until the weather breaks, we all might need to be more vigilant in reminding our spouses of the necessity of more diligent attention to their housework. We all have to do our part.
tell her you want a pot pie ASAP while you're at it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bonus advice: post clearing the cars/driveway, leave a path to get your trash bins to the curb before you back the cars in tightly on an icy drive. Wasn't sure cars would get back in if I pulled back out.

Lifted two trash and recycle bins up over the cars and severely limited the function of my back as a result. 4 hours shoveling, no problem. 1 trash bin dead lift, crippled.

Reaction Score

Throw it in the tub with warm water.

Reaction Score
This is the first year that I have heated floors in the bathroom above our garage. I used to contemplate wearing Depends rather than stepping on that frigid floor for the first morning pee.

I love the look that the dog gives me when I let him out. It's kind of a "I'm usually cool with this, but have you stepped outside?" look. His "let me in" bark is much louder than usual.

Proud of my kids who didn't ask me to drop them off at school this morning. The school is one block from our house, but I would've begged my father to drive me when I was a kid.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This is our second winter in our house. Second time the pipe that feeds our washer has frozen. Our laundry is in a little nook off the kitchen attached to the mud room and the pipe runs along the frigid mud room. I guess this spring I’ll be chucking some insulation in there. Glad I’m not alone in my laundry woes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Would it have gotten more or less tangled if it had just been put on a clothesline?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This is the first year that I have heated floors in the bathroom above our garage. I used to contemplate wearing Depends rather than stepping on that frigid floor for the first morning pee.

I love the look that the dog gives me when I let him out. It's kind of a "I'm usually cool with this, but have you stepped outside?" look. His "let me in" bark is much louder than usual.

Proud of my kids who didn't ask me to drop them off at school this morning. The school is one block from our house, but I would've begged my father to drive me when I was a kid.
lol...

Our dog has the usual polite "woof" when she needs to come back in. With the latest cold spell her outside time is 1/3 the usual time and the bark is "ROOF ROO-RROOOFFF!!!"

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The master bedroom and bathroom are above the garage. We also live on a ridge and it’s windy as F here - the only thing between us and the Catskills and Shawangunks is open air.

It’s maybe 52 or 53 in there right now - we’re sleeping in one of the guest rooms this weekend.

I gotta tear it apart come summer and make it so it’s habitable next winter.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was at the gym when my phone started ringing at 5:30.

Wife calling... ignore.

Then the texts start: Can’t get in driveway - there is a foot of snow. We left car in street and walked in (driveway is 550 feet long).

Ok - whaler is on the way. No way it can be that bad.

The plows latest visit put so much snow in front of the driveway I know neither where it starts nor where the cement is after an hour of shoveling.

When the plow blocked the end of the driveway - it created a place for the blowing snow to settle. The first 200ft of the driveway have 3-4” of blown snow recovering the driveway which is as hard as a rock.

I did enough to get the cars to garage but I don’t even want to know what it’s going to take to be able to get out in the morning.

Fun bonus that the high for the next 72 hours is 12 and the low is -7. Freeze breaks just enough for some more snow and freezing rain on Monday.

I’ve got so many wet pairs of gloves that I shoveled tonight with socks on my hands.

This stretch of weather is as terrible as anything since 96. It was so cold that winter when I was working at WILI I used to let the ladies of the night sleep
in the foyer because letting them freeze to death in Willimantic seemed wrong.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Nuke the clothes in your microwave like "Uncle Buck" did in the movie. You might try the auto-defrost button and see what happens. Who says movies aren't educational?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
4DC37BF5-6568-45A6-9ACE-B4E83C3E7F0E.jpeg
I was at the gym when my phone started ringing at 5:30.

Wife calling... ignore.

Then the texts start: Can’t get in driveway - there is a foot of snow. We left car in street and walked in (driveway is 550 feet long).

Ok - whaler is on the way. No way it can be that bad.

The plows latest visit put so much snow in front of the driveway I know neither where it starts nor where the cement is after an hour of shoveling.

When the plow blocked the end of the driveway - it created a place for the blowing snow to settle. The first 200ft of the driveway have 3-4” of blown snow recovering the driveway which is as hard as a rock.

I did enough to get the cars to garage but I don’t even want to know what it’s going to take to be able to get out in the morning.

Fun bonus that the high for the next 72 hours is 12 and the low is -7. Freeze breaks just enough for some more snow and freezing rain on Monday.

I’ve got so many wet pairs of gloves that I shoveled tonight with socks on my hands.

This stretch of weather is as terrible as anything since 96. It was so cold that winter when I was working at WILI I used to let the ladies of the night sleep
in the foyer because letting them freeze to death in Willimantic seemed wrong.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Same here regarding high winds and ungodly way below freezing temps. Some people need to watch their animals in the weather. I looked out my window and saw a dog tied to a fire hydrant by yellow string. Cruel.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
We’ve been highs of 1 and 0, lows of -7 wind chills around -15/20 ... then somehow Wednesday it’s supposed to be like 45.

My car battery has died like 6x in 2 days. My nostrils stick to each other when I walk outside for a second. I hate my life.

Reaction Score
The master bedroom and bathroom are above the garage. We also live on a ridge and it’s windy as here - the only thing between us and the Catskills and Shawangunks is open air.

It’s maybe 52 or 53 in there right now - we’re sleeping in one of the guest rooms this weekend.

We have frozen pex water lines. It happens every winter. The only way to fix this is to open up the walls. Even though it's been a week, my wife refuses to let me take down the Sheetrock. She wants to wait for "professional" help to become available. Yesterday the plumber said he doesn't do demolition so now we are waiting someone else to come in and take a hammer to the wall. Maybe after the game today she will be compelled to hammer the wall.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
We’ve been highs of 1 and 0, lows of -7 wind chills around -15/20 ... then somehow Wednesday it’s supposed to be like 45.

My car battery has died like 6x in 2 days. My nostrils stick to each other when I walk outside for a second. I hate my life.
96E755EB-7C43-4DF1-A8B8-6546D332A785.jpeg

Cripes. Feels like -17 though, so that’s good.

Reaction Score
The master bedroom and bathroom are above the garage. We also live on a ridge and it’s windy as here - the only thing between us and the Catskills and Shawangunks is open air.

Just make ot the guest suite. They won’t stay as long.

Reaction Score
Out of state till monday, but my neighbor told me that his oil company only delivered him 150 gallons of oil. Is there some kind of shortage going on?

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
This is our second winter in our house. Second time the pipe that feeds our washer has frozen. Our laundry is in a little nook off the kitchen attached to the mud room and the pipe runs along the frigid mud room. I guess this spring I’ll be chucking some insulation in there. Glad I’m not alone in my laundry woes.

Meanwhile, you could use a space heater in that area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom