OT: Important Weather Message | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Important Weather Message

Reaction Score
For some reason I thought you were up in Boston area, maybe those temps make more sense somewhere where it is warmer.
Lived among too many Saux fans far too long & over a decade ago, but Boston's weather was another massively compelling reason not to return. When temps inched over freezing to the low 40s, it felt almost balmy. The HVAC appreciates the rest!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You all ready to deal with all this stuff melting into your basements this week?!

Reaction Score
I was at the gym when my phone started ringing at 5:30.

Wife calling... ignore.

Then the texts start: Can’t get in driveway - there is a foot of snow. We left car in street and walked in (driveway is 550 feet long).

Ok - whaler is on the way. No way it can be that bad.

The plows latest visit put so much snow in front of the driveway I know neither where it starts nor where the cement is after an hour of shoveling.

When the plow blocked the end of the driveway - it created a place for the blowing snow to settle. The first 200ft of the driveway have 3-4” of blown snow recovering the driveway which is as hard as a rock.

I did enough to get the cars to garage but I don’t even want to know what it’s going to take to be able to get out in the morning.

Fun bonus that the high for the next 72 hours is 12 and the low is -7. Freeze breaks just enough for some more snow and freezing rain on Monday.

I’ve got so many wet pairs of gloves that I shoveled tonight with socks on my hands.

This stretch of weather is as terrible as anything since 96. It was so cold that winter when I was working at WILI I used to let the ladies of the night sleep
in the foyer because letting them freeze to death in Willimantic seemed wrong.
Hey, at least there is one bonus, living in the snow capitol of the world - CNY - you get so much, you have to have a snowblower. We got 4 feet of snow in the last two weeks. Layup. It amazes me to no end that places like DC can be crippled by 2 inches. Hell, most years, CNY get that every single night between Jan 1 and March 1.

The north wind was a bitch, tho. Blew snow up under the hood of my truck and exacerbated an already annoying short in the electrical system. Battery dead in less than 8 hours.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You all ready to deal with all this stuff melting into your basements this week?!

Yes. My pipes have been frozen since Sunday.

Ive been living in a house with no water for 4 days. Give me water back through my faucets and Ill gladly clean some basement water.

Reaction Score
62/63 wow. After blasting our heat up to only 65 during daytime this week, my spouse thinks I'm not only cruel yet also guilty of unusual punishment with it at a balmy 63 overnight. At least the cool front convinced her our heating's too dry even with some humidifier gizmo on overdrive. Slowwwww progress, and we're back to non-operative 62 daytime & as-needed-only 55 overnight with Monday's return to the 40s+.
Here's a funny one... You hear about people dressing up in multiple layers in the house with the heat turned down. Crazy, right ?

My office is in our leaky attic. Mostly stays habitable, but in weather like this, it goes down into the 50s, sometimes the 40s. Eh, no big deal, couple shirts, couple pairs of workout pants, big hoody, I'm good. But, I'm in the attic where it's 50 degrees. Then I go downstairs where it's 65 and I'm still wearing layers like a squatter and, who cares, I'm toasty warm! LOL!!!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes. My pipes have been frozen since Sunday.

Ive been living in a house with no water for 4 days. Give me water back through my faucets and Ill gladly clean some basement water.
That blows. You gotta thaw tomorrow though, no? Surprised not today actually; should be above freezing there right now, right?

Reaction Score
We were without functioning heat in our addition from December 29th until about an hour ago because our pipes froze overnight when our thermostat batteries died and the thermostat stopped working. The addition is over a car port so there is no basement or even a garage underneath it, and the freeze was apparently somewhere under the floor. I spent the first two days trying desperately to find the freeze and melt it, using a hairdryer on all the copper elbow joints and using space heaters to raise the ambient temperature in the room to 87 degrees, to no avail.

We've been heating the area with space heaters since and hoping for the best, and today is the first time the temps have gotten above freezing since 12/29. I'm actually surprised that it thawed today, given the deep freeze this past weekend and the fact that it is only barely above freezing at home now.

So far, so good in terms of leaks; apparently it is mostly PEX tubing, which I am told is much less likely to leak because it expands and contracts better than copper tubing.

The lesson I have learned is to make sure we always have spare AAA batteries--good ones, not the dead spares my wife grabbed from a plastic bag that night. Also, there is apparently something called a circulator that we can have installed in the loop that will detect if starts to get too cold and will start circulating hot water through the piping to prevent it from freezing. Gonna look into that.
Here's another funny one... We moved back to CNY in 2014 and moved into a house we intended to buy. Gorgeous old victorian on the hill, etc. Ended up it was a 2 family house and the market could not come close to supporting the price they wanted, which had already been reduced 30%, so we couldn't get financing. Damn good thing, tho. They had a handyman incompetent do all their work. Remodeled the kitchen. It looked nice, but they put in laminate that was pathetic and radiant heat in the floor. Awesome! Until the outside temp dropped below 32 degrees and the kitchen heat could not keep up. Heat was undersized for the installation. We lucked out on that one. I can only imagine how bad it was this year when temperatures went below zero.

August_West

Reaction Score
That blows. You gotta thaw tomorrow though, no? Surprised not today actually; should be above freezing there right now, right?

Guys out there all morning morning today. Pipe is Frozen underground in between my well head and house . I have to pray the weather the next 2 days loosens it up or I may be out for months.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Guys out there all morning morning today. Pipe is Frozen underground in between my well head and house . I have to pray the weather the next 2 days loosens it up or I may be out for months.
Mrs. AW and daughter:
09-kyrgyz-girls-fetching-water-670.jpg

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My one rule in life is no property with well water. Lost it for a week with no power after a hurricane so never again.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

How far underground?

That really should never happen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wow. Suddenly the septic replacement proposal I’ve been awaiting like a guillotine doesn’t sound as crippling. Prayers for a big melt

August_West

Reaction Score
How far underground?

That really should never happen.

I'm not sure. I Know this is a converted lake house built on a hill of glacial rock , so probably not deep enough. The well is shallow and sucks, the septic system sucks and I'm sure the pipes are too shallow. Nice place to live while my daughters in the school system I want her in, but she graduates in 16 months. In 16 months and one day there will be a moving truck in front of my house. I'm done. Lol country living. Not for me. I put my time in for my family. Next stop somewhere near an Arbys

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure. I Know this is a converted lake house built on a hill of glacial rock , so probably not deep enough. The well is shallow and sucks, the septic system sucks and I'm sure the pipes are too shallow. Nice place to live while my daughters in the school system I want her in, but she graduates in 16 months. In 16 months and one day there will be a moving truck in front of my house. I'm done. Lol country living. Not for me. I put my time in for my family. Next stop somewhere near an Arbys

Which place on the Berlin Tpke are you thinking?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom