OT: Important Weather Message | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Important Weather Message

Reaction Score
I did enough to get the cars to garage but I don’t even want to know what it’s going to take to be able to get out in the morning.
As if your town's plowers don't have you on a "target list" with a few more planned visits for clean up and driveway re-blocking. ;)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We have frozen pex water lines. It happens every winter. The only way to fix this is to open up the walls. Even though it's been a week, my wife refuses to let me take down the Sheetrock. She wants to wait for "professional" help to become available. Yesterday the plumber said he doesn't do demolition so now we are waiting someone else to come in and take a hammer to the wall. Maybe after the game today she will be compelled to hammer the wall.

Can't imagine someone in the trades who wouldn't open up sheet rock. Everybody does it all the time, plumbers and electricians included.

An $8 jab saw from HD will cut you a relatively nice neat shape.

Reaction Score
Out of state till monday, but my neighbor told me that his oil company only delivered him 150 gallons of oil. Is there some kind of shortage going on?
I've had a bunch of friends on Facebook posting about needing oil. Something must be up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've had a bunch of friends on Facebook posting about needing oil. Something must be up.

I imagine it's the big storm. It's not like delivery is smooth atm.

Reaction Score
Can't imagine someone in the trades who wouldn't open up sheet rock. Everybody does it all the time, plumbers and electricians included. An $8 jab saw from HD will cut you a relatively nice neat shape.
Guess it reflects current market conditions, the plumbers, electricians, or other tradesman, the prospective customer, or some combo. Aside from admittedly the real possibility of customer considerations in my case ;), we had one of each effectively say "Thanks, but no thanks. I don't cut sheet rock. Or, I'm too busy to bother now".

Granted, good tradesman pretty much dictate whatever they want to do or not to do, charge reasonable profit+bonus rates, etc. in our market. Hence, even this unskilled clown (me) successfully opened up some sheet rock, cut some holes under the watchful gaze of a far more skilled, experienced, and omniscient retired EE neighbor, prepped pipe access for plumber repairs, flipped out old switches for GFIs and powerful new bathroom fans, and running G6 cable to several rooms. Guy's a Grandfatherly God-send, saves me good dinero, and keeps sharing his time-tested, well-made tools, e.g., "I've got a few of them, just keep it. You'll help me with something later".

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
the only thing between us and the Catskills and Shawangunks is open air.
Back before my health deserted me, and I used to hike, I did the Shawagunk Ridge trail one year. In the summer. I damned near froze on the Tip of Gertrude's Nose. That is the actual name of a real place. It's not Mount Washington, but it sure was cold and windy when everywhere else was hot and sticky.

It’s maybe 52 or 53 in there right now - we’re sleeping in one of the guest rooms this weekend.
I've turned it up a bit this week for the sake of the plumbing, but normally, our thermostat is programmed to kick down to 53 at night.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Back before my health deserted me, and I used to hike, I did the Shawagunk Ridge trail one year. In the summer. I damned near froze on the Tip of Gertrude's Nose. That is the actual name of a real place. It's not Mount Washington, but it sure was cold and windy when everywhere else was hot and sticky.

I've turned it up a bit this week for the sake of the plumbing, but normally, our thermostat is programmed to kick down to 53 at night.

53 wow. Most people think I'm cruel because I have it at 62/63.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
. Columns on his house and he lives in an icebox.

It's more strategic than cheap. At times like this it’s extremely difficult to get an oil delivery because the trucks can't get down my driveway so I try to limit them.

I've been stuck multiple times driving back and forth to the gas station with two 5 gallon jugs buying diesel to get through until a delivery can be made.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
53 wow. Most people think I'm cruel because I have it at 62/63.
62/63 wow. After blasting our heat up to only 65 during daytime this week, my spouse thinks I'm not only cruel yet also guilty of unusual punishment with it at a balmy 63 overnight. At least the cool front convinced her our heating's too dry even with some humidifier gizmo on overdrive. Slowwwww progress, and we're back to non-operative 62 daytime & as-needed-only 55 overnight with Monday's return to the 40s+.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
62/63 wow. After blasting our heat up to only 65 during daytime this week, my spouse thinks I'm not only cruel yet also guilty of unusual punishment with it at a balmy 63 overnight. At least the cool front convinced her our heating's too dry even with some humidifier gizmo on overdrive. Slowwwww progress, and we're back to non-operative 62 daytime & as-needed-only 55 overnight with Monday's return to the 40s+.

I thought you landed in Florida?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You are an insane person.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anything below 68 and you're a goshdarn maniac.

Depends on the thermostats some. I got new ones this year and 68 now is hotter than 68 used to be. Babysitter set it to 70 one day and I figured it out because I was sweating sitting still.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

That’s in Minnewaska on the Millbrook Ridge - it’s a beautiful hike.

It’s about 1,800’ feet up, looking over the valley - it does get pretty windy and cold there.

There’s also a Gertrude’s Chin, but it’s less well-known. You were there on the way to the nose.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
That’s in Minnewaska on the Millbrook Ridge - it’s a beautiful hike.

It’s about 1,800’ feet up, looking over the valley - it does get pretty windy and cold there.

There’s also a Gertrude’s Chin, but it’s less well-known. You were there on the way to the nose.

With the PAD, ten minutes is a hike these days. SIGH.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's more strategic than cheap. At times like this it’s extremely difficult to get an oil delivery because the trucks can't get down my driveway so I try to limit them.

This is a humblebrag without the humble.

Reaction Score
Anything below 68 and you're a goshdarn maniac.
Depends on where people live, how old an old fart someone is (or isn't), and the actual outdoor temps where one lives, eh? Must really sukk for you and others to be in New England, NY, etc. this week; not envious!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Depends on where people live, how old an old fart someone is (or isn't), and the actual outdoor temps where one lives, eh? Must really sukk for you and others to be in New England, NY, etc. this week; not envious!
For some reason I thought you were up in Boston area, maybe those temps make more sense somewhere where it is warmer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We were without functioning heat in our addition from December 29th until about an hour ago because our pipes froze overnight when our thermostat batteries died and the thermostat stopped working. The addition is over a car port so there is no basement or even a garage underneath it, and the freeze was apparently somewhere under the floor. I spent the first two days trying desperately to find the freeze and melt it, using a hairdryer on all the copper elbow joints and using space heaters to raise the ambient temperature in the room to 87 degrees, to no avail.

We've been heating the area with space heaters since and hoping for the best, and today is the first time the temps have gotten above freezing since 12/29. I'm actually surprised that it thawed today, given the deep freeze this past weekend and the fact that it is only barely above freezing at home now.

So far, so good in terms of leaks; apparently it is mostly PEX tubing, which I am told is much less likely to leak because it expands and contracts better than copper tubing.

The lesson I have learned is to make sure we always have spare AAA batteries--good ones, not the dead spares my wife grabbed from a plastic bag that night. Also, there is apparently something called a circulator that we can have installed in the loop that will detect if starts to get too cold and will start circulating hot water through the piping to prevent it from freezing. Gonna look into that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom