Important timing questions | The Boneyard

Important timing questions

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now that the season is over—an excellent season in which we overcame much adversity and came up just short—I’m looking ahead.

The WNBA draft is next Monday, April 4. What is the deadline for declaring for the draft?

Some players—Joens, et al.—have decided to use their Covid/5th year. Is a formal announcement required for that? If so, what’s the deadline?

What are the key dates for the portal? When does someone need to enter?

Thanks!

Reaction Score
I believe there is paperwork to file if a player wishes to use their Covid year. I've seen other coaches mention that. I thought I read somewhere that the portal deadline is May 1st?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
If I'm reading this correctly, the deadline for anyone else other than the final four teams has passed. Stanford and Louisville players had to declare by Saturday night. UConn and SC players have until tonight.

From Wikipedia:

WNBA prospects must notify the league office no later than 10 days before the draft, and must renounce any remaining college eligibility to enter the draft. However, because postseason national tournaments (most notably the NCAA Division I tournament) are still ongoing during the 10 days prior to the draft, certain players who would otherwise be eligible to declare cannot do so before the standard deadline. A prospect whose team is still playing during the 10-day window must make her declaration within the 24 hours following her team's final game of the season, but no less than 3 hours before the scheduled start of the draft. The 3-hour period is a historic artifact that stems from the former scheduling of the WNBA draft; from 2006 to 2008, it was held in the city of the women's Final Four on the day after the championship game. Despite media commentary that argued that players involved in the NCAA tournament needed more time to make draft decisions,[10] the most recent WNBA CBA, agreed to in 2020, did not change any draft eligibility rules.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Now that the season is over—an excellent season in which we overcame much adversity and came up just short—I’m looking ahead.

The WNBA draft is next Monday, April 4. What is the deadline for declaring for the draft?

Some players—Joens, et al.—have decided to use their Covid/5th year. Is a formal announcement required for that? If so, what’s the deadline?

What are the key dates for the portal? When does someone need to enter?

Thanks!

Do you mean the 11th? Cuz today is the 4th.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Update - it's 48 hrs. So Stanford and L'ville had until last night, UConn and SC have until tomorrow night.

From WNBA website:

Players whose college teams are still active will have 48 hours following the conclusion of their final game to renounce their remaining NCAA eligibility and declare themselves available for the 2022 WNBA Draft presented by State Farm.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Do you mean the 11th? Cuz today is the 4th.

(Proof)reading is fundamental! I am still brain dead after last night. Yes, the draft is next Monday, April 11. My error!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I believe there is paperwork to file if a player wishes to use their Covid year. I've seen other coaches mention that. I thought I read somewhere that the portal deadline is May 1st?
If players have only until May 1st to enter the portal, when does this moratorium on transferring re-open? It became clear this past season that players can enter the portal early in the upcoming seasons.

Reaction Score
If players have only until May 1st to enter the portal, when does this moratorium on transferring re-open? It became clear this past season that players can enter the portal early in the upcoming seasons.

They have until May 1 to enter the portal to have immediate eligibility. The portal never closes.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
There are 88 players that have renounced college eligibility and declared as of 3/29. This does not include anyone from NC State (3/28 game, had 48 hrs to declare), nor the semis or finals. WNBA will probably put out a press release tomorrow after tonight's deadline from the finals.

Baylor, Duke, Indiana, Louisville, LSU, TCU lead the way with 3 players, 17 schools with 2 players, and 36 with 1 player.

Baylor - Egbo, Lewis, Smith
Duke - Goodchild, Gordon, Williams
Indiana - Cardaño-Hillary, Gulbe, Patberg
LSU - Aifuwa, Cherry, Pointer
TCU - Berry, Heard, Jackson

Reaction Score
based on whats been said above, wouldn't EW, CW, and Nelson-ododa have to have declared their intentions by now?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom