Important recruit! | The Boneyard

Important recruit!

Reaction Score
Great start to the recruiting needs for DH and the staff. Really excited about the backcourt adding Bouknight and Gaffney 2 taller, athletic, shooters who can get to the rim and look to me like they could be high impact on the defensive end too. Add Akok to this class and early on we have kids and talents we need really bad who could potentially produce immediately upon arrival. I believe as things unravel on the mens college hoops scene there will be players who will be able to help us with required experience from other programs and I think there will be a win or 2, depending on availability in this department.

Having said that I am now concerned with keeping one in particular at home. CV has played his way in to my heart as a fan, he's been listening and turning himself into quite the player, potentially even a leader of sorts. I know the kid sold me because I doubted he would be able to follow the new regime, change his out of control demeanor and turn himself into the player he has been all year. The crow I eat I devour with a smile. He's been really good, even with 7 TO's yesterday he was still going to the ground late to get a loose rebound and laying it up. He was getting rebounds in the jungle of big men again and winning the battle. His inspiring play is something I would love for Gaffney and Bouknight to play with and see while on the court with him or from the sidelines waiting for their chance to do the same. He wanted to get a look last year by the NBA but found out everything he needed to do and along with the things DH is teaching him he's making himself worthy of a look at some point, or a great Euro career. Question is does he want to do that right away or come back and have a super senior season to make them look even harder at the young man?

Hate to say it but his decision will be really important on expectations for 19-20. I want him to do what's best for him he deserves that I'm just hoping he's a 4 year Husky.

Reaction Score
More than any player on the team, he epitomizes the way Hurley wants his players to compete.

That doesn’t mean just playing all-out hard and with effort during a game . It also means playing smart on the court and putting in the time outside of practice to develop your skill set.

Vital checks off each of these points.

Plus he’s becoming a leader, which isn’t something that can be taught, it’s either there or it isn’t.

Agree that him staying next year (along with AG) is critical for solidifying the culture that Hurley is trying to instill.

Reaction Score
I was recently thinking the same thing. I also wasn't his biggest fan; I think I have a low tolerance for careless play (TO's and bad shots). Last game aside, he's really gotten markedly better in those regards and I'm on board. For sure we will be much worse off next year without him and I hope he sees value in coming back for one more year. Another season with a similar amount of improvement and he could play himself into a much better situation.

Reaction Score
I feel you, I love CV. Talked to him a few mins in Orlando. He is such a great kid.

He's gritty like so many kids we've had over the years. He doesn't fold like Ollie and so many from his tenure not naming names.

He's very important, will take big shots and SET THE TONE!

We all want old-school Calhoun UConn back and that might be too much to ask but Vital is a throwback to that era in many ways.

We need "nice guys" like Polley and Carlton to be grittier and more physical like Vital. Really hope he comes back and leads.

Reaction Score
Same here.
CV has turned me around. Playing much more under control and far less SMH shots.
He really is turning into a leader.

I've thought for a while he may try to play for pay after this year. I guess I mainly think that because he tested the waters last year.
As Mau said as long as he does what is best for himself I'm good with it.
But we would benefit from having him one more year. Especially with the young guards coming in.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
As much as I am enjoying Christian's play, I don't think he's a NBA level player. Sure, he could play in Europe, but that's not his dream. Playing one more year, being the senior leader on the team with all the exposure than entails, and getting another year of coaching is in Christian's best interests. Coincidentally, it is in the team's best interest as well. I hope he sticks around for another year.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Need AG healthy too. He’s gotta comeback this year n get the chemistry with CV. It’s their team now.

Reaction Score
I think he will thrive as Team Captain next season. I can see him really leading on and off the court (similar to what D Bev & Kemba did in 10-11). He has the ultimate chip, he can't be the first UConn player in god knows how long to go 4 seasons without a NCAA Tournament appearance.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I appreciate all that Mau wrote and respect his ability to admit that he needs to "eat crow" on his previous stance.
To me, the most important need and recruitment must is to get at least one really decent big. Getting a big is much harder than getting a guard. There are fewer available and whats out there that can step into a program and make an immediate impact is what the P5s all covet. DH has no history of recruiting quality bigs and that concerns me - but maybe his staff (Hunter?) does have a history in this area.
Watching Houston last night - all their 3s, 4s and 5s can jump, are physically big and have some weight and for the most part, able to rebound, defend and have some offensive acumen. As far as my research into their bigs - only two were 3* and 4 were either transfers or Junior College xfers.
UConn needs these big junkyard dog types

Reaction Score
I like this thread. CV shows tremendous heart. When is the last time UConn had a player his size average 6 rebounds per game? Bazz came close in 2013-14, and that was possibly the best player in the country that year and the MOP of the Final 4.

I truly hope that CV returns for his senior season. A squad with CV as a Senior, AG alongside him, Josh and Tyler as Juniors, Sid as a Soph plus Akok, Bouknight and Gaffney has the potential to put UConn basketball back into the Top 25 and NCAA tournament. THAT would be a very nice step in the right direction.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great start to the recruiting needs for Dan Hurley and the staff. Really excited about the backcourt adding Bouknight and Gaffney 2 taller, athletic, shooters who can get to the rim and look to me like they could be high impact on the defensive end too. Add Akok to this class and early on we have kids and talents we need really bad who could potentially produce immediately upon arrival. I believe as things unravel on the mens college hoops scene there will be players who will be able to help us with required experience from other programs and I think there will be a win or 2, depending on availability in this department.

Having said that I am now concerned with keeping one in particular at home. CV has played his way in to my heart as a fan, he's been listening and turning himself into quite the player, potentially even a leader of sorts. I know the kid sold me because I doubted he would be able to follow the new regime, change his out of control demeanor and turn himself into the player he has been all year. The crow I eat I devour with a smile. He's been really good, even with 7 TO's yesterday he was still going to the ground late to get a loose rebound and laying it up. He was getting rebounds in the jungle of big men again and winning the battle. His inspiring play is something I would love for Gaffney and Bouknight to play with and see while on the court with him or from the sidelines waiting for their chance to do the same. He wanted to get a look last year by the NBA but found out everything he needed to do and along with the things Dan Hurley is teaching him he's making himself worthy of a look at some point, or a great Euro career. Question is does he want to do that right away or come back and have a super senior season to make them look even harder at the young man?

Hate to say it but his decision will be really important on expectations for 19-20. I want him to do what's best for him he deserves that I'm just hoping he's a 4 year Husky.

Where would he go? He's 6'1". His only pro position, even in Europe, is point guard. It's clear that Hurley has been giving him more ball handling duties, and now, with Jalen out and possibly AG, he's doing more of it than ever. He wasn't good at it yesterday, but that's where he needs to develop. He's a catch and shoot shooter as well, which is fine if you are 6'5". He has to learn to shoot off of his own lateral dribble, which both Jalen and especially Al, can do.

I am also impressed with how he bought in, and has improved his play. But Vital isn't going anywhere. He's set to be the starting SG on this team, and might get some PG duty as well, which he needs.

Reaction Score
I thought CV missed a golden opportunity yesterday. 4-14 with 7 turnovers on a day he needed to be our leader. He always plays hard, right now, he needs to play well. Hope he starts to take avantage of the opportunity handed to him by injuries.

Reaction Score
CV being a pro-level* player is the hottest take on this thread imo, and I love him as a player for us. Just a wild take.

*Pro being NBA or legit Europe league

Reaction Score
Like I know he is the one who initiated it but still...I'm hoping Hurley has brought a much-needed reality check to his ceiling

Reaction Score
Great start to the recruiting needs for Dan Hurley and the staff. Really excited about the backcourt adding Bouknight and Gaffney 2 taller, athletic, shooters who can get to the rim and look to me like they could be high impact on the defensive end too. Add Akok to this class and early on we have kids and talents we need really bad who could potentially produce immediately upon arrival. I believe as things unravel on the mens college hoops scene there will be players who will be able to help us with required experience from other programs and I think there will be a win or 2, depending on availability in this department.

Having said that I am now concerned with keeping one in particular at home. CV has played his way in to my heart as a fan, he's been listening and turning himself into quite the player, potentially even a leader of sorts. I know the kid sold me because I doubted he would be able to follow the new regime, change his out of control demeanor and turn himself into the player he has been all year. The crow I eat I devour with a smile. He's been really good, even with 7 TO's yesterday he was still going to the ground late to get a loose rebound and laying it up. He was getting rebounds in the jungle of big men again and winning the battle. His inspiring play is something I would love for Gaffney and Bouknight to play with and see while on the court with him or from the sidelines waiting for their chance to do the same. He wanted to get a look last year by the NBA but found out everything he needed to do and along with the things Dan Hurley is teaching him he's making himself worthy of a look at some point, or a great Euro career. Question is does he want to do that right away or come back and have a super senior season to make them look even harder at the young man?

Vital has zero chance at the NBA.

Reaction Score
I thought CV missed a golden opportunity yesterday. 4-14 with 7 turnovers on a day he needed to be our leader. He always plays hard, right now, he needs to play well. Hope he starts to take avantage of the opportunity handed to him by injuries.
He's improved his play this year with better decision-making but he was flat out bad yesterday.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
CV being a pro-level* player is the hottest take on this thread imo, and I love him as a player for us. Just a wild take.

*Pro being NBA or legit Europe league
CV could get paid for playing basketball, which when you think about it is terrific. I agree with you regarding his current ceiling.

Reaction Score
He can't be on the ball that much. I don't really blame him for yesterday. He was hustling and while he played sloppy he was out of position
Agreed, it's the type of situation that shows all his weaknesses and his ceiling as a player. His best role always would have been as a 6th man. Instsnt offense, tough D, fighting for rebounds.

Reaction Score
He's getting better but one thing to keep is mind is that like most players on this team, last year was a wasted development year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom