Importance of basketball to the Big Ten Network | The Boneyard

Importance of basketball to the Big Ten Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the risk of be frog marched to the looney bin, it's hard not to see how the Big Ten Network evolves without further NORTHeast penetration.

March 14, 2012
Ed Sherman

"
Ratings for games on the BTN from January through mid-March are up 27 percent; at .91 from .72 in the network’s top 8 metered markets, according network president Mark Silverman. Ratings for its signature show, The Journey, have increased 20 percent....

“If you look at where we were six years ago (the BTN started in 2007) to where we are now, it’s hard to believe,” Silverman said. “People now know if it’s Wednesday night, we’re going to have a doubleheader. They know where to find the Sunday night shows. They’re coming to us.”

As for the future, the next challenge will be for Silverman to get the BTN into the local markets of the conference’s two new schools, Maryland and Rutgers. It will be a huge endeavor, especially in the New York/New Jersey area where Cablevision and Time Warner are known to play hardball. Time Warner waited until last year to add the NFL Network."

http://www.shermanreport.com/btn-b-i-g-winner-with-surging-big-ten-basketball-all-time-high-ratings/

The timeline is 6 to 12 months. Rutgers is strong in central jersey. strong in southern jersey, weaker in northern new jersey, weakest across the river. It's hard to imagine Siverman going to nyc cable selling Rutgers. As we've discussed here a lot, while the rest of realignment pundits cite football, football, football, the BTN is about content, content,content. 365 days a year. Be it football or basketball.

Ask any reasonable person (even unreasonable ones like Tranghese) who most captures NYC basketball. It is UConn and to a lesser extent,the Fruit. No other teams come close. Even football, it's hard to ignore UConn's reach, again proven thru sny. NYC may be a pro town, but it's the BTN that is attempting to crack the nut. It necessarily doesn't need the most perfect weapon to do that (which doesn,t exist), just necessarily the best ones available.

Silverman knows UConn's pull through ratings and exposure with SNY. The more I hear what this guy says, the more convinced I am that UConn is a big part of that weapon.

And what seems to give many here pause is that some pundits nationally never seem to name UConn as being part of the Big Ten's strategy. For a retort to that, next time I read an in-depth article about the BTN's cable strategy in the northeast, complete with facts, and logical assumptions, I'll pay attention. Instead, we're exposed to mindless regurgitated drivel approaching realignment like some big game of risk or monopoly. Instead, focus on the BTN's business plan which is even the subject of a women's phd thesis. Look at how Silverman approached the eastern penn problem, and how he'll approach the tri state problem. And then remind yourself what nat'l pundit mentioned Rutgers as the next piece of the BTN's puzzle prior to november 2012.

Reaction Score
Basketball matters from a content perspective. Ratings are always higher for football, but basketball fills more time slots, they can get 4+ hours of games Monday-Thursday during primetime, which advertisers love. CFB is of course mostly Saturday with a Thursday game in an increasingly less appealing time slot now that the NFL is moving there, and Friday night is notoriously the lowest rated slot of the week, so CFB really only fills one day for a network. And the most popular and important part of the season is played basically on its own. Turn on SportsCenter now and it's 95% tournament, and a few NBA and NHL highlights. Turn on SportsCenter during CFB championship weekend and they cover it quite a bit, but it's lumped in with the NFL, which wins every time. So, it matters, just not in the same way as football.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
All other things aside (and there are many) I would not be overly concerned about the pundits not including us in their lists of expansion candidates. At the time Nebraska was announced as their twelfth member nobody in the press had a clue they were on the B1G's radar. When their next round of expansion was announced, none of the pundits saw it coming and nobody thought of Maryland as a possibility.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Content is more than just FB and Men's BB. Women's BB would drive ratings higher not to mention baseball, softball and soccer.

Reaction Score
ESPNU was showing the SEC's indoor track and field championship yesterday. It was definitely interesting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Content is more than just FB and Men's BB. Women's BB would drive ratings higher not to mention baseball, softball and soccer.

I said before, the UConn women should matter to the B1G. They convert a sport with near zero interest into one that pulls respectable ratings. Recruiting in the B1G would jump at other schools and overall interest would rise. Probably the same demographic as here, but who cares?

UConn is uniquely more valuable to the B1G and BTN. Doesn't mean we are headed there but it's true.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
This is why the B1G added hockey. The Friday night games will help with live programming.

It would give UCONN hockey a nice stage.

UCONN just joined Hockey East. How would that help B1G Hockey? I guess a few OOC games could be considered.

Reaction Score
If UCONN was in the B1G it's hockey would give live local programming in your tv market. It is something of value that you have and not other schools of interest.

I realize most of you don't put much emphasis on Hockey, but it is a big sport in many of the BTN's footprint. It's live programming for the channel. It's fans are diehards. It's usually a Friday and Saturday night series. You just make sure if your MBB team plays Saturday it is an afternoon game. MBB and hockey would account for live programming 4 days a week for a school.

How big can good hockey be? Minn had over 200k in home attendance this year.

Reaction Score
Basketball matters from a content perspective. Ratings are always higher for football, but basketball fills more time slots, they can get 4+ hours of games Monday-Thursday during primetime, which advertisers love. CFB is of course mostly Saturday with a Thursday game in an increasingly less appealing time slot now that the NFL is moving there, and Friday night is notoriously the lowest rated slot of the week, so CFB really only fills one day for a network. And the most popular and important part of the season is played basically on its own. Turn on SportsCenter now and it's 95% tournament, and a few NBA and NHL highlights. Turn on SportsCenter during CFB championship weekend and they cover it quite a bit, but it's lumped in with the NFL, which wins every time. So, it matters, just not in the same way as football.

If I was UConn's A.D., I'd volunteer to play all football home games for the first 5 years on Friday evenings in exchange for admission to the B1G.
There's something to being the only game in town, we have past history with playing on Fridays, & the atmosphere at the RENT for a night game is ELECTRIC!

Reaction Score
These are certainly not reasons in themselves to expand or add a team, but they are fringe benefits.

Reaction Score
Well before Rutgers was admitted, what was the rumor? Recruits were being told they were moving to the Big. As much as it pains me, there are no ACC, Big, SEC or Big 12 rumpled of that sort.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPNU was showing the SEC's indoor track and field championship yesterday. It was definitely interesting.
I watched that as well.

Reaction Score
More food for thought. This is a quote from Silverman when Nebraska was added:

"Frankly, other than football or basketball, every time you put on an event, you're going to lose money. So you really have two different priorities that are kind of starting to feed into each other. If you produce more events, you get more experience and you get better."

http://m.huskers.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=205174762&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=100

Assuming that that is still the case, that is the production cost of nonrevenue sports is higher than its rate of return, this enhances any sort of content not named men's bb or fb, IF this additional content could break the mold. Obviously wbb with UConn is the most obvious content that could do it. Again, no one's saying that the big ten is going to invite uconn because of wbb. But it is naive to suggest that it plays no role in the way that the btn would analyze UConn. Hopefully Silverman sees that ESPN/Aresco thought enough of this content to strip it (and its revenue) from UConn.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
This is one the better threads we have had on cr......
The best threads will be the ones after we get into a better conference. HFD will be praising Pasqualoni, Whaler will propose to President Herbst and palatine will send Manuel a box of donuts in the mail. Can't wait for that kum ba ya moment.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The best threads will be the ones after we get into a better conference. HFD will be praising Pasqualoni, Whaler will propose to President Herbst and palatine will send Manuel a box of donuts in the mail. Can't wait for that kum ba ya moment.
But what will Nelson propose to shut down?!?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
But what will Nelson propose to shut down?!?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The Dairy Bar. I'm calling it first...

Reaction Score
For those in doubt as to the value that UConn content would add to the big ten network, this tongue in cheek article is exhibit A:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/01/politi_big_ten_network.html

4:45 – So I had to ask: What’s with all the old stuff?

“This is the one and only day without a live event in the month of January,” explained Mark Silverman, the president of the network, in a phone interview.

Silverman estimates BTN will air 700-800 live events this year. The network scored the highest ratings in its history on Saturday when two top-10 teams, Indiana and Minnesota, played. The network treated it like the big event it was, moving its pregame show to campus and showing all of the pregame hoopla from the gym.

5:02 – Of course, if they can’t fill all the hours now, what about July? “We try to be a little creative in what we do,” he said of the empty summer months. Lots of Big Ten history.

5:15 – As for Rutgers, well, Silverman doesn’t know how much of a presence it’ll have on the network. The BTN and the conference are separate entities. Don’t expect an all-out Scarlet blitz in hopes of attracting new viewers here.

“We still have to formulize what (adding Rutgers) means for the Big Ten Network,” he said.

Reaction Score
Silverman is fundamentally and provably incorrect with respect to hockey. Some programs lose money, but it's because they suck and don't make much of an attempt or don't have the resources to fund a successful program. UConn has the resources, and now has the conference affiliation to make hockey a revenue sport. The big hockey programs, including all B1G hockey teams (not sure about OSU) operate in the black, or intentionally spend all of what they earn.

Reaction Score
Funny thing on the Big...I think it would be a great outcome for every UConn program except hockey. That is one sport that works so well based on local rivalries that Hockey East would be a far superior outcome. to say nothing of the fact that I think its a better league. Being able to play BC, BU, UMass, Vermont, UNH...those are all doable as day trips. In the Big the closest game would be Penn State. Then the Big Hockey league is only 6 (with UConn 7) teams, which means you either play each team in the conference too many times or too few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom