Importance Of 3 Point Shooting In Our Success | The Boneyard

Importance Of 3 Point Shooting In Our Success

Reaction Score
Is it that big a deal? I think our overall team % is similar to other league leaders but we do have games where we shoot 22%. So Nova is shooting 36%, we at 34% and Providence 34%. We don’t have a #2 guard that is supplementing Cole but Martin is coming on shooting 43% now and I think that has gone up a lately. Before I checked I honestly thought we were way behind in this area but we are not. I’m remembering Bazz, Boat, Giffey, and Lamb carrying the team in our runs. We also have a tendency to let teams go off on us for 3’s.

pj

Reaction Score
In our losses we shot 12.5% (2-16) against Michigan State, 14.3% (3-21) against West Virginia, 33% (5-15) against Providence, 61% (14-23) against Seton Hall, 23% (5-21) against Creighton, 40% (8-20) against Villanova. So it seems like 3 point shooting was a major factor in the early losses, but not in Big East play.

Reaction Score
When I stumble upon an upset in college basketball, the first thing I look at it is:

1) Did they shoot less than 35% from 3? And if not...
2) Did the other team shoot better than 40% from 3? And if not...
3) Did they turn it over a bunch or give up a bunch of offensive rebounds?
4) Did they commit a zillion fouls?

Those are the "Four Factors" for a reason, but, yes, shooting is important. The most important thing. We lost the SHU game because they also shot well so that factor was "tied" in a sense and then they turned us over a bunch. Same with the Nova game, they shot over 50% from 3, so even though we shot 40% we were at a deficit (and then they got to the line a bunch).

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I know it's oversimplifying things but if this team just hits the threes we win. Defense is always there. If Polley and Hawkins are both hot the same night? We beat almost anyone.

Also, that night has to be coming... never seen so many shots do a lap around the rim and pop out.

Reaction Score
I know it's oversimplifying things but if this team just hits the threes we win. Defense is always there. If Polley and Hawkins are both hot the same night? We beat almost anyone.

Also, that night has to be coming... never seen so many shots do a lap around the rim and pop out.
Post #2 shows that we can shoot the three anywhere between decently and phenomenally and still lose. It seems our defense stinks once in a while.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom