Impenetrable | The Boneyard

Impenetrable

Reaction Score
If Stevens continues to develop as a shot-blocker and rim protector, UConn’s defense might be impenetrable.

UConn Takeaways: Crystal Dangerfield's Evolution

Z is a big, big (no pun intended) story for UConn. Her willingness and ability to change her game, as we see game-by-game, is really remarkable. Not someone who wanted to play inside, now clearly gets joy doing it. As she evolves, she may well exceed expectations, and, given the expectations, that's saying a whole lot!

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Z is a big, big (no pun intended) story for UConn. Her willingness and ability to change her game, as we see game-by-game, is really remarkable. Not someone who wanted to play inside, now clearly gets joy doing it. As she evolves, she may well exceed expectations, and, given the expectations, that's saying a whole lot!

While I appreciate her evolving play inside, I still see her hanging around on the perimeter. That may be by design but, to me, she still spends far too much time out there. Perhaps it's a happy place for her and she hates to let it go.

She belongs inside and needs to spend more of her time there (like I'm an expert :rolleyes:).

Reaction Score
Perhaps when she goes outside it opens the lane where there is no center (shot blocker))

Reaction Score
If Stevens continues to develop as a shot-blocker and rim protector, UConn’s defense might be impenetrable.

Azura has a long way to go yet to be the defensive stopper Uconn really needs. Her willingness to learn, as you pointed out, is exceptional and important. Nearly every game when she comes off the floor she is being taught and listens attentively to Christine Dailey. Some of the Best Post players EVER were taught by CD. This will turn out equally as great as those previously taught. But we all need to allow her to learn and not to expect Kiah Stokes to suddenly show up in Azura's uniform. It is important that we all heed your highlight sentence.

Reaction Score

Thanks "bags 27" for the post, I was thinking in the same line. Geno has a way to get good players who at first don't like to play inside to change their game drastically, Svet, Maya, Stewart to name a few. With this change Stevens brings a whole new pecpertive to the team. How many 6"6" players can shoot threes, can dribble the ball up court, make decent passes, rebound on offense and defense, adding now blocking shots Wow!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
While I appreciate her evolving play inside, I still see her hanging around on the perimeter. That may be by design but, to me, she still spends far too much time out there. Perhaps it's a happy place for her and she hates to let it go.

She belongs inside and needs to spend more of her time there (like I'm an expert :rolleyes:).
What's also funny is that during the DePaul game and in the games previous Geno has gotten on her during TO's for just that reason (if you can read lips). On occasion Z will migrate toward the perimeter instead of moving to the high post or moving to the block. These are frankly the habits Geno is trying to get Z to overcome. There are times it disrupts UConn's spacing and/or it makes the shot she's taking harder than it should be. Nevertheless, I've said it before, but Z makes that short jumper going toward the baseline better than any big I think that I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
I'm really not sure that we can "blame" Z for being on the perimeter sometimes. I suspect they're playing a true 5-0 at times and that's the motion that's called for. Just a hunch. Geno may be on her when she's not picking up the shift to a 4-1 with her at post, but I'm thinking that sometimes her being on the perimeter is part of the intended offensive flow.

Anyway, that's offense. On D, she either follows her man to some extent or is playing underneath in a zone.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm really not sure that we can "blame" Z for being on the perimeter sometimes. I suspect they're playing a true 5-0 at times and that's the motion that's called for. Just a hunch. Geno may be on her when she's not picking up the shift to a 4-1 with her at post, but I'm thinking that sometimes her being on the perimeter is part of the intended offensive flow.

Anyway, that's offense. On D, she either follows her man to some extent or is playing underneath in a zone.
There's no doubt that during the motion flow her occasional spot is at the arc. From what I've seen though, Geno only gets on her when she misses her assignment. Twice that I saw during the DePaul game she clearly migrated toward the arc unintentionally flooding an area while leaving the block or the high post unattended. This happened when Pheese was in. Once she nearly bumped into Pheese on the perimeter. She made the basket on a short jumper going to her left, Bruno called a TO and Geno lit into her. UConn doesn't really play a 5 out. It's really a 4 and 1 pending the move of the cutter or someone to the block. With Pheese and Z in and no Gabby, one is going to move or flash to the post to play a high/low. Z to this point seems to me to see the inside better from the perimeter (top, left or right) than the high post. Occasionally she seems to move further from the high toward the arc to make the pass. Pheese on the other hand, seems to feel more comfortable at this point to take the long shot and not make the pass, which is not falling right now.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I absolutely agree that Z has the potential to be the defensive stopper in the post that the Huskies were missing last season, the one thing I would hope she learns is to stop swatting down to block shots. While swatting shots into the stands is fun to watch, that swinging motion frequently results in fouls on Z. At 6’6” with the ability to elevate, Z should be able to block shots without the need to swing at them.

Her best block of the Depaul game, IMO, was when she closed on a 3-pt shooter at the arc from about 5’ away with her arm straight up to block the shot. She was a foot away from the shooter when she blocked the shot. No foul and UConn ended up with the ball since it wasn’t 5 rows into the stands. The last time I saw a blocked shot like that was 2 years ago when Stewie did it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I am sure you could put a guarantee to that. When Azura is shooting from around the arc it most assuredly by design. If it weren't at the next time out Z would be sitting next to Christine and as she sat Geno would have a word or 5 with her. Geno and Christine are doing in-games teaching with Azura and the results are being seen as each game progresses. If anyone is to be "blamed" it is Geno.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I really liked the shot blocking Friday night. First time it felt like we had a legitimate shot blocker since Stewie and Kiah.
That kind of made me laugh. That’s not exactly ancient history, but I get your point. But Gabby isn’t exactly chopped liver.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am sure you could put a guarantee to that. When Azura is shooting from around the arc it most assuredly by design. If it weren't at the next time out Z would be sitting next to Christine and as she sat Geno would have a word or 5 with her. Geno and Christine are doing in-games teaching with Azura and the results are being seen as each game progresses. If anyone is to be "blamed" it is Geno.
As Z’s game continues to get better every game she plays in a Husky uniform, IMO she seems less inclined to shoot 3’s. What I think she’s learned is that at 6’6”, all she has to do is make a good hard cut to the basket and her teammates will get her the ball for an easy 2 points. Z has great hands and is a great finisher at the basket.

Crystal seems to be absolutely in sync with Z having learned to feed her with nice, soft, high passes that Z catches on the way to the rim. Not sure that Z had that opportunity at Duke, so she was more inclined to hang around the arc and shoot 3’s.

Reaction Score
While I absolutely agree that Z has the potential to be the defensive stopper in the post that the Huskies were missing last season, the one thing I would hope she learns is to stop swatting down to block shots. While swatting shots into the stands is fun to watch, that swinging motion frequently results in fouls on Z. At 6’6” with the ability to elevate, Z should be able to block shots without the need to swing at them.

Her best block of the Depaul game, IMO, was when she closed on a 3-pt shooter at the arc from about 5’ away with her arm straight up to block the shot. She was a foot away from the shooter when she blocked the shot. No foul and UConn ended up with the ball since it wasn’t 5 rows into the stands. The last time I saw a blocked shot like that was 2 years ago when Stewie did it.

I don't know if that was her best block---but I jumped out of my chair and cheered--that is pure intimidation, at it's best.
For someone unaccustomed to playing hard defense, she is improving immeasurably in every game. The first step in learning is to block the shot without fouling and she is doing that well. The next step or 4 is to block inbounds, then do the Kiah thing and block it and keep it. All that takes time. I expected perfection from Azura before she stepped into a \Uconn Uniform. My disappointment was heard with her first game, stupid me. As my intellectual being is absorbing thoughts and ideas from people like you, and other real experts--I am more realistic and see the beauty in Azura's learning process. All is more than well in UConn WBB land..

Reaction Score
I, for one, want her to continue to shoot 3s--just not when the game is on the line. It's important for her future pro development that she continue to progress as someone who can play inside and outside. Right now, her team needs her to play inside--which she is clearly buying into. But if she regains her outside touch as well, she'll be a great player at every level.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am guessing but I think it was a humorous reference to the expression "easy-peasey" (Ezi, Peezy ...)
Then we should add, “lemon squeezy” to properly complete the reference...:)

Reaction Score
As Z’s game continues to get better every game she plays in a Husky uniform, IMO she seems less inclined to shoot 3’s. What I think she’s learned is that at 6’6”, all she has to do is make a good hard cut to the basket and her teammates will get her the ball for an easy 2 points. Z has great hands and is a great finisher at the basket.

Crystal seems to be absolutely in sync with Z having learned to feed her with nice, soft, high passes that Z catches on the way to the rim. Not sure that Z had that opportunity at Duke, so she was more inclined to hang around the arc and shoot 3’s.

You are probably right about Azura 's inclination to shoot the three is less than 2 months ago. But that ability to drain the 3 keeps the defense believing she can make them.
Danger has not since being at Uconn gotten the credit she deserved, until now, for being the great passer she happens to be. The chemistry among her, Azura, Napheesa, Gabby, KSL at times looks like they are reading each others minds. She needs to play more pickup games with Walker and AEH to learn where to put the ball for them. Before April we are going to see the best passing of any WBB team college or pro that this team shall do.\
A side note: The huge draw for me was when Sue, Swin, shea, Ajsia, Tamika, and sometime Sveta --when they passed the game became less important than the beauty and precision of their passing. It was obvious they were having fun. I got hooked. Passing is a mark of a Geno team along with Defense.

Reaction Score
Upon further reflection, what was missing was not a shot blocker ,but an intimidator. When Stewie and Kiah were in the game, if you drove to the hoop you were looking for them, and (maybe) changed your shot. Pheese doesn't intimidate but Z at 6'6" does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom