Impact UConn campus downtown? | The Boneyard

Impact UConn campus downtown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I heard West Hartford branch is moving to our small city. Who wins? Who loses?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I lose, I was planning on my kids being able to walk to college for a couple of years. I'm worried about what goes in to that space it's some prime real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
It's a commuter school. I can't imagine this helps enrollment with people having a harder time getting in/out and finding reasonable parking. Not to mention the safety aspect of it later at night.

The West Hartford building needed a ton of expensive renovations that they had put off as long as they could. They're probably getting a better space and some crazy tax breaks to move into Hartford. I think it was more financial than it was an effort to inject life back into the city.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Any idea how many students we are talking about? I'm guessing bars, restaurants, theaters, & XL will enjoy a surge in foot traffic. More students at games.

Reaction Score
Its a little over 2,000 students.

I think its a great thing and will inject some much needed life into downtown. I am sure that they will work out something for parking.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Answer: not much change. Local coffee shops and restaurants will be the big winner during lunch. It's not an evening grad School Campus and the typical student is too young for the local bars

>> UConn Greater Hartford is the largest of the five regional campuses, designed to make the first years of a high quality college education affordable.

By living at home for their freshman and sophomore years, students save costs of room and board while commuting to our attractive campus, conveniently located in West Hartford.

Keeping part-time jobs and community ties at home while participating in the academically and culturally diverse campus life of UCONN Greater Hartford, allows students to enjoy a warm, accessible college environment which fully meets their educational needs.

Depending on their academic majors, most students go on to spend their junior and senior years at the main campus at Storrs where they are automatically enrolled and guaranteed student housing.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
More traffic during the AM commute. That much is certain.

Reaction Score
It's a commuter school. I can't imagine this helps enrollment with people having a harder time getting in/out and finding reasonable parking. Not to mention the safety aspect of it later at night.

The West Hartford building needed a ton of expensive renovations that they had put off as long as they could. They're probably getting a better space and some crazy tax breaks to move into Hartford. I think it was more financial than it was an effort to inject life back into the city.
In some ways it may be easier to commute to. You can park free at any commuter lot in the suburbs and take a bus in.

Reaction Score
I lose, I was planning on my kids being able to walk to college for a couple of years. I'm worried about what goes in to that space it's some prime real estate.

Slifka said the University of St. Joseph and the University of Hartford have both expressed interest in UConn's West Hartford property, but he said those talks are in the early stages.
The site, which is on a wetland and in a flood plain, will likely need to remain a school, Slifka said.
"From a development perspective, it probably can't be developed much beyond what it looks like now," he said. "From a very early look, I think our inclination is the best use for the town and the surrounding neighborhood is for it to remain what it is, a school campus."

http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-uconn-moves-to-hartford-20121108,0,1854688.story

Reaction Score
It's not an evening grad School Campus ...
Not now, but see UConn Stamford as an example of the possibility. Compared with a private grad school's tuition rates, UConn Hartford may offer a reasonable alternative versus RPI in Hartford.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
St. Joe's may make some sense as it continues to grow. I just hope no residential is added.

Reaction Score
do kids at the satellite campus' share in the school spirit? Hopefully the AD reaches out to them about attending B-ball and Hockey games at the XL

Reaction Score
1,400 undergrad, 600 grad students.

The school of social workwas located there, it may still be, don't know if its moving.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Not now, but see UConn Stamford as an example of the possibility. Compared with a private grad school's tuition rates, UConn Hartford may offer a reasonable alternative versus RPI in Hartford.

UConn Graduate Programs have a home base in Hartford

UConn School of Business
Graduate Business Learning Center
100 Constitution Plaza
Hartford, CT

http://www.business.uconn.edu/mba/oh/oh.aspx?id=265

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors