Impact Players by Quarters vs. SC | The Boneyard

Impact Players by Quarters vs. SC

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I needed to wait until I rewatched the game before commenting on it..
So rather than focus on the things that bothered me last night, I instead want to bring attention to who I thought most impacted the game in Quarterly segments.

1st Quarter Goes to Nika Muhl
She made multiple key plays early on, to keep us in the game, especially when the team was struggling to hit open jumpers. Her confidence and aggression were effective in such a big game and she did absolutely nothing IMO to hurt the team. I saw no fear or nerves in her performance last night.

2nd Quarter I'm Going with Aubrey Griffin
Early on in this quarter, it was Aliyah Edwards and Nelson Ododa making shots offensively, But I thought the energy Aubrey brought on both sides of the floor was needed, especially with Nika having to sit with two fouls. Aliyah Edwards and Paige were tied for a close second, as both also made key playsin that period.

3rd Quarter Slight edge Paige Bueckers
To be honest there wasn't a clear impact player in this period to me, but more of an entire balanced team effort
For Instance some key plays of Note, Spin Cycle layup by Christyn Williams, Paige Bueckers Euro Step Baby Hook, Nika Muhl Attacking Layup and One, Aliyah Edwards Flashing through the paint for a layup... Both Aliyah Edwards and Aubrey Griffin rebounding the ball etc.

4th Quarter - (LOL The Refs) - Paige Bueckers/Team Defense

Paige made all the big buckets, when we needed them most, but have to give a well-deserved round of applause for our team defense and of course the "Nike BALL", without it we lose this game.. LOL

Overtime - Paige Bueckers
Nothing more needs to be said, the young lady has Big Time Ice in her veins... Did she even miss a shot in OT?

PS: In my view, we are a much better team than SC this year, but going forward we definitely need others to step up and take some of the pressure off Paige to continuously save the day like that. Should have won this game in double digits going away... These slow starts really have to go.. The future of our team is as bright as ever!!! Let's Go Huskies!!!! #NumeroUNO

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Whoddah thunk that in the biggest game of the year it would would be a baby-faced, 5-10 freshman from Zagreb, Croatia (who quite a few thought would struggle at the bottom of the depth chart) that would be the clear tone-setter and defensive leader right off the tip?

Nika is carving out a solid role on this team. As Geno said, you don't have to be the go-to shooter to play a lot, just be a "star in your role". If this keeps up, she will withstand the tsunami of talent that's on the way next year and maintain a substantial, albeit changed, role on the team.

If I was Saylor, Nika's the role model I'd be looking up to.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The future of our team is as bright as ever!!! Let's Go Huskies!!!! #NumeroUNO
Whoddah thunk that in the biggest game of the year it would would be a baby-faced, 5-10 freshman from Zagreb, Croatia (who quite a few thought would struggle at the bottom of the depth chart)

To both of you, excellent posts! Luv'em. :D :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I needed to wait until I rewatched the game before commenting on it..
So rather than focus on the things that bothered me last night, I instead want to bring attention to who I thought most impacted the game in Quarterly segments.

1st Quarter Goes to Nika Muhl

2nd Quarter I'm Going with Aubrey Griffin

3rd Quarter Slight edge Paige Bueckers

4th Quarter - (LOL The Refs) - Paige Bueckers/Team Defense

Overtime - Paige Bueckers

PS:
In my view, we are a much better team than SC this year, but going forward we definitely need others to step up and take some of the pressure off Paige to continuously save the day like that. Should have won this game in double digits going away... These slow starts really have to go.. The future of our team is as bright as ever!!! Let's Go Huskies!!!! #NumeroUNO
Nice post. In spite of the lack of scoring from the rest of the team (Paige scored almost half the total points), it WAS a team effort. MY $.02...

I agree with you although I don't believe we are a MUCH better team than SC. Before the game, even at the start of the season, I felt there was no team in WCBB with as much talent on their team as UCONN. The problem is that Christyn has not played consistently like a top recruit coming out of HS. Liv has not consistently played like a top 5 recruit. Evina has not played like a top 2 recruit.

The best player on the court, by a country mile, was of course Paige, but the best PLAYERS on the court were none of the upper classmen. In crunch time, Geno had Evina (for her steadying influence and composure/leadership), sophomore Griffin, and the 3 super freshmen. Not only was that the 5 that Geno trusted at that time, but without them playing solid D, moving the ball on offense, etc. Paige doesn't become the hero.

In a game where it was 5 vs. 6 (the refs were DREADFUL, and anyone who knows me on this board knows I NEVER blame the refs), UCONN still found a way to prevail. Knock down a few more 3's, like we normally do, have the refs call the game fairly, and this is a double digit win in regulation.

I would not be surprised to see SC in the NC game. IMHO UCONN just solidified the #1 overall seed. SC really should drop no lower than 2. There's still basketball left to be played, but it's very unlikely UCONN stumbles. SC hash a tougher road. We will see what happens!!

Reaction Score
47 Points by Freshman... That was impressive. 12 by the juniors and 4 from a freshman....

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Whoddah thunk that in the biggest game of the year it would would be a baby-faced, 5-10 freshman from Zagreb, Croatia (who quite a few thought would struggle at the bottom of the depth chart) that would be the clear tone-setter and defensive leader right off the tip?

Nika is carving out a solid role on this team. As Geno said, you don't have to be the go-to shooter to play a lot, just be a "star in your role". If this keeps up, she will withstand the tsunami of talent that's on the way next year and maintain a substantial, albeit changed, role on the team.

RIGHT OFF THE TIP indeed! She showed no fear or nervousness. She has the potential to be really good.

Reaction Score
After thinking about what I saw, I, too, decided to comment (elsewhere) on the positive. But we really can't ignore the team's shortcomings. No need to itemize them, but someone (or 2 or 3) needs to step up and help the team's transcendent star. It's just not OK to go walkabout when the chips are down. You simply cannot miss FTs with the game on the line, and a we sorely need a few timely baskets from one of the players we count on. Come on, Saylor, give us some help.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Great post, BB. I also noticed that Muhl set the pace early in the game. I'm not sure UConn wins without her early energy. I also like other posters citing Williams in the third.

Reaction Score
Here is UCONN's Spark Plug

1612919845791.png

Reaction Score
Liv played a great game. She’s never going to match Boston in points during these head to heads. But she and Aaliyah kept Boston to just 10 points through mid-way of the 4th quarter. Boston wasn't getting much touches until the 4th quarter, which is when she managed to do some work. They made, what most on this board believe to a “generational” talent, look...just good.

Meanwhile with UConn, a star was born

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom