Impact on conferences? | The Boneyard

Impact on conferences?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The LA Times reported that California now bans its college students and teams from traveling to certain states.
I'm not trying to talk about the merits for or against, that's Cesspool stuff, but clearly this can impact CR right? I mean what happens to the Pac if Arizona is on the list? What happens if those states retaliate (perhaps just saying we can't travel to any state that won't let its schools travel here)?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I would imagine that it would be an issue for NCAA tournament games. You can schedule around the restriction and I would imagine that you could even account for the bowl games. But what would you do if the NCAA regional for X was in one of those states?

Reaction Score
Texas is going through this now and is getting ready to pass a bill. The Women's Final Four is in Dallas. If it passes I'm sure there will be calls for NCAA to pull out or for teams to boycott.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I would imagine that it would be an issue for NCAA tournament games. You can schedule around the restriction and I would imagine that you could even account for the bowl games. But what would you do if the NCAA regional for X was in one of those states?

Exactly. I'm curious what happens if UCLA has to play a regional game in one of these states. Does UCLA forfeit? If Arizona passes a law, then what? Or Nebraska...now more College Word Series games I guess.

Reaction Score
An interesting scenario that popped up here in Indiana was Notre Dame vs. USC and Stanford.

Indiana passed a law allowing a business owner to decline some services based on personal religious beliefs. The law was repealed after an uproar.

It would have been interesting to see if California would have stood its ground with that much money on the table.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
An interesting scenario that popped up here in Indiana was Notre Dame vs. USC and Stanford.

Indiana passed a law allowing a business owner to decline some services based on personal religious beliefs. The law was repealed after an uproar.

It would have been interesting to see if California would have stood its ground with that much money on the table.

Well USC and Stanford are private, so can do what they want.

Reaction Score
Well USC and Stanford are private, so can do what they want.

While I think Stanford would avoid the bad optics of playing that game when the in-state publics are bound by the state, there a good many California students at Stanford, 40% of the total, and most of them use Cal Grants to partially pay for the school. So that state has some leverage.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can see one state limiting travel to another state when the second state's legislature institutionalizes discrimination through public policy. I have an issue banning travel to a state or university that allows religious groups on campus to discriminate.

Religions are clubs. They have rules. You want to be a member, follow the rules. You don't have to join the club, there are many other clubs out there who will be happy to have you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom