IMG College | The Boneyard

IMG College

Reaction Score
a precursor:

IMG College, USF To Part Ways When Multimedia Deal Expires

IMG College and USF will part ways when their multimedia rights contract ends on June 30. IMG has owned the rights at USF since '07. Neither side would comment, but sources said that several months of renewal talks did not produce an extension, prompting the rights holder to exit at the end of the current deal. American Athletic Conference member USF was the subject of Big 12 expansion talks last fall before the conference decided not add members. The USF athletic department reported $46M in total revenue for FY '15.

Reaction Score
IMG College recently inked new deals or extensions with:
Arkansas - 10 years, $137MM 90% increase
Georgia - 10 years, $152MM
UCLA - 10 years, $144MM

Reaction Score
Louisville AD Tom Jurich said that the school has a "new sponsorship contract with Adidas" worth $160M over 10 years,

Reaction Score
Louisville AD Tom Jurich said that the school has a "new sponsorship contract with Adidas" worth $160M over 10 years,

I am amazed at that $16 million per year from Adidas. Only Texas, Ohio State, and UCLA have higher amounts.

Moreover, a city school whose constituency is largely confined to a handful of contiguous counties has closed a deal that compares favorably to universities with much larger footprints in far more populous places. U of L’s 10-year pact is reportedly the most lucrative Adidas has negotiated with a single school and is eclipsed only by those of UCLA (Under Armour), the University of Texas (Nike) and Ohio State (Nike), three schools whose alumni associations rank second, third and sixth nationally.

I don't know how Jurich wangled that.

Reaction Score
I am amazed at that $16 million per year from Adidas. Only Texas, Ohio State, and UCLA have higher amounts.

Moreover, a city school whose constituency is largely confined to a handful of contiguous counties has closed a deal that compares favorably to universities with much larger footprints in far more populous places. U of L’s 10-year pact is reportedly the most lucrative Adidas has negotiated with a single school and is eclipsed only by those of UCLA (Under Armour), the University of Texas (Nike) and Ohio State (Nike), three schools whose alumni associations rank second, third and sixth nationally.

"for a school "besieged by financial issues, the Adidas deal arrives like a last-reel cavalry charge with the fort under attack." Some of UL's "bonanza is a reflection of the recent boom in apparel rights." It is "difficult to dispute the broad success of Jurich’s stewardship, the first-rate facilities he has gotten built or the brand equity behind the Adidas deal" (Louisville COURIER-JOURNAL, 8/25)."

Reaction Score
Nike pays some programs a lot less...schools like Bama, FSU, Clemson, Oklahoma are getting much less money from Nike. Bama less than $4 million.

Alabama gets $780,000 per year and $2.8 million in gear.

Why stay with Nike? Surely not for the money.

I dunno...maybe the football kids love the brand.

Maybe it is a coincidence that the top football schools are aligned with Nike, but...

The last three years, every team in the Play Off wore Nike.

Recruit Classes (Rivals)....
2015 Rivals top 10... 8 Nike schools, 1 UA, 1 Adidas
2016 Rivals top 10... 9 Nike schools, 1 UA
2017 Rivals top 10... 9 Nike schools, 1 Adidas

Maybe UA and Adidas success with signings will result in higher Nike contracts when they are re-negotiated. We'll soon see...FSU renegotiates their contract this year...but Jimbo has signaled his preference that they stay with Nike.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Adidas lost some of their higher profile programs to UA last year..UCLA and Wisconsin to name a few. With that $$ lying around it's easy to see why they may have ponied up to keep a school like Louisville.

Reaction Score
Not encouraging. UConn/IMG contract is up in 2018.
I'm sure one of the things IMG looks at is advertising sales ability, and the ability to market the brand. It will be interesting to see what happens with the next IMG deal.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm sure one of the things IMG looks at is advertising sales ability, and the ability to market the brand. It will be interesting to see what happens with the next IMG deal.
Success on the field and the court will matter. A lot in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Success on the field and the court will matter. A lot in my opinion.
I disagree a bit with you here...if UConn won but brought in little interest marketing wise due to lack of brand strength then it's safe to say that you would see IMG walk away. Who knows..IMG was hired because Hathaway was inept at marketing the brand and was under huge scrutiny by BOT..mainly McHugh to get things done. Maybe Benedict thinks the school can make more $$ if they move things in-house. I do know that my neighbor is friendly with a VP for IMG College who actually ran UConn's account when they first signed...and that he told me UConn's brand strength was easy to work with and do what they needed to do. Getting advertising wasn't really that hard at all.

Reaction Score
I disagree a bit with you here...if UConn won but brought in little interest marketing wise due to lack of brand strength then it's safe to say that you would see IMG walk away. Who knows..IMG was hired because Hathaway was inept at marketing the brand and was under huge scrutiny by BOT..mainly McHugh to get things done. Maybe Benedict thinks the school can make more $$ if they move things in-house. I do know that my neighbor is friendly with a VP for IMG College who actually ran UConn's account when they first signed...and that he told me UConn's brand strength was easy to work with and do what they needed to do. Getting advertising wasn't really that hard at all.

IMG has lost their shirt on the current contract.

Reaction Score
IMG has lost their shirt on the current contract.
Just going off of what I was told...my neighbor used to work for the Big East and now works for the Knicks front office. Please by all means if you have information and numbers to prove I was wrong post them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom