I'm with Diaco, but... | The Boneyard

I'm with Diaco, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Despite my alleged advanced age, I held no brief for PP, and was convinced that we had to go with a new young, ambitious guy with an impressive resume, who has a playlist, and is able to relate to this generation of players. That being said, I am quickly tiring of what I am seeing and how Diaco is relating to those of us who are the fan base and who attend the games and know what we are seeing.

I am not happy with our win where "the brotherhood shined through", where the team "gave it all they had" and where we were "able to finish strong". I don't think the play calling was all that good with far too many attempts to hit the home run or convert a 30 to 40 yard pass. They stacked the line, so where were the quick six to ten yard passes which could have loosened up the defense? I have to think even Whitmer can hit a good percentage of these. The O line is no where close to where it is going to have to be if we are to beat some decent teams. And, finally, I can only pray that CC is ok and we can see him soon. Casey bombed last year and this year promises to be no different.

We were damn lucky to win and can thank our lucky stars that SBU incurred 12 penalties and a loss of 108 yards which definitely fed our ability to score and contain them. They outrushed us, outpassed us and had more total yardage. And, at the end, I would have gone with their energy over ours. Thank God, the shanked kick could be redone.

I travel from the Albany area to attend all home games and met up with a UConn guy from Utica at a MassPike service stop on the way home who had also listened to the post game show with Diaco. He was equally shocked at Diaco's positive take on the game. A lot of us old timers have listened to all kinds of quacks through the years who can put a spin on anything and are always wary of snake oil salesmen.

I am still with this guy because I want to be and because I do think his pedigree is worth something. But don't try to feed me a load of baloney about the game I just saw. It is entirely possible to admit we did not play well and that we have a long way to go without maligning the players. He can also take some of the blame. That is all believable. But please don't feed me a line of B.S. that is patently such.

We who pay good money for season tickets and who travel a few hours to attend games expect to wipe out teams like SBU, who cannot even beat Bryant. These are practice games, always have been. But in the good old days we typically won by 25-35 points. Lets get it together and, most importantly, be honest with the fan base.

Reaction Score
He knows the football savvy fans see what they see... My sense is his positive comments are directed to the team through whatever media source he talks to.

He puts out what you seem to want to hear but without the venom that some (not necessarily you) seem to want to hear.

For example - from today's media availability: “I am not disappointed in anything. I am seeing what we anticipated seeing” Diaco said. “We got a lot of work to do.”

Reaction Score
Despite my alleged advanced age, I held no brief for PP, and was convinced that we had to go with a new young, ambitious guy with an impressive resume, who has a playlist, and is able to relate to this generation of players. That being said, I am quickly tiring of what I am seeing and how Diaco is relating to those of us who are the fan base and who attend the games and know what we are seeing.

I am not happy with our win where "the brotherhood shined through", where the team "gave it all they had" and where we were "able to finish strong". I don't think the play calling was all that good with far too many attempts to hit the home run or convert a 30 to 40 yard pass. They stacked the line, so where were the quick six to ten yard passes which could have loosened up the defense? I have to think even Whitmer can hit a good percentage of these. The O line is no where close to where it is going to have to be if we are to beat some decent teams. And, finally, I can only pray that CC is ok and we can see him soon. Casey bombed last year and this year promises to be no different.

We were damn lucky to win and can thank our lucky stars that SBU incurred 12 penalties and a loss of 108 yards which definitely fed our ability to score and contain them. They outrushed us, outpassed us and had more total yardage. And, at the end, I would have gone with their energy over ours. Thank God, the shanked kick could be redone.

I travel from the Albany area to attend all home games and met up with a UConn guy from Utica at a MassPike service stop on the way home who had also listened to the post game show with Diaco. He was equally shocked at Diaco's positive take on the game. A lot of us old timers have listened to all kinds of quacks through the years who can put a spin on anything and are always wary of snake oil salesmen.

I am still with this guy because I want to be and because I do think his pedigree is worth something. But don't try to feed me a load of baloney about the game I just saw. It is entirely possible to admit we did not play well and that we have a long way to go without maligning the players. He can also take some of the blame. That is all believable. But please don't feed me a line of B.S. that is patently such.

We who pay good money for season tickets and who travel a few hours to attend games expect to wipe out teams like SBU, who cannot even beat Bryant. These are practice games, always have been. But in the good old days we typically won by 25-35 points. Lets get it together and, most importantly, be honest with the fan base.
Understand your frustration shake65, but the comments aren't meant for you though you may like them to be. He has to keep 80 players motivated and working to improve through whatever means necessary. If the score was closer in the BYU game, a team that destroyed Texas OR we blew out SB yesterday...I seriously doubt you would not have posted. The TEAM has a long way to go. If CC played yesterday, it would have been over at the Half.
You, I and this board are among the faithful. Keep the faith. The offense needs work. The Defense is a work in progress learning his systems.
Regarding his salesmanship, IMO-it's needed to sell this program. Ask the 15 recruit commitments for the year 2015 coming this year who have already signed on or the 16 he brought in since December for the 2014 class, some of whom, are now seeing action. It does NO good to be negative, as bad as it may get....
I, like you, also travel a great distance to see the games like many others on this board and will gladly continue to do so as well as donating to this great school through my season tickets. I find that MANAGING MY EXPECTATIONS is paramount in times like these. Am I happy with the results?? Not really. But I take solace in the fact that, despite the perceived rhetoric externally, I don't think HCBD, the coaching staff and the players are happy with yesterday either.....keep the faith Brother....Don't give up your season tickets quite yet.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's said we suck about as clearly as a coach can say such things. He isn't going to keep doing that. It going to be all, we are getting better, working hard to improve, and we are getting close until we either start winning or he gets fired. Best everyone get used to that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think his positive attitude has more to do with establishing and maintaining a better bond between coaches and players that will, hopefully, pay off in the long run. All we heard from PP/GDL was "execution" and "cupboards being bare". That creates a very venomous relationship between coaches and players. By staying positive and saying everything is ' awesome, nobody is thrown under a public bus. But I'm also going to think that the problem areas that we all see are being worked on in practice, behind closed doors.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The things he says in post games are extremely annoying. I don't know why the fact that a good number
of people are already sick of hearing some of that crap upsets others.

There is a fairly wide gap between throwing players under the bus and calling Whitmer's performance wonderful.

Does anyone really think the players are clueless to the point they don't understand what he is saying is nonsensical at times?

Guess what - managing the fanbase is part of the job. He has no problem going on the record in a negative fashion when it's setting expectations for his results.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Just like there are some pro players who will never give you a good sound bite after a game, there are coaches who will never give you a good sound bite after a game.

Reaction Score
Sticktuitiveness
Care
Coaching each other

Words that mean nothing. I fully support him but I can't listen to him. It's nonsense.

I fully support him and staff and these young men as well. Encourgaging words through change are important. Big change is schemes the program overall. Encourage these guys. Lift them up. Push them, but demand results. They've been down and beaten down for 3 years. Time to uplift this team. They need the 12th man behind them regardless. If we all talk about getting to a P5 conference, spend your dollar, spare your voice and cheer this program on. Complaining, whining and doing nothing to change it is a net 0. Rebuilding takes time, involves change and positive results aren't always immediate. It really is a process. It needs to start from day 1. Every freshman class from this point forward is key.

Reaction Score
Agreed. First thing - and easiest adjustment HCBD can make is to stop playing the Pollyanna role and stop the preacher bit. Act like now that you've seen this team in action, you will dedicate the balance of this season to finding those who can play at this level and then bring in recruits for those who can't. It's OK to be unsatisfied with what we've seen thus far.

Reaction Score
I get that it's his personality to always be positive and optimistic. But when the team has just come off the field after nearly $hitting the bed against a bad FCS team, his speeches come off as disingenuous. Obviously he shouldn't be throwing the team under the bus after a bad game, but there's a middle ground where you can be honest about what your team is doing poorly and maybe not act like you've just beaten Alabama.

“We love winning. All of the players are singing and dancing (in the locker room) – as they should.”

“Our brotherhood and culture shined through. They played hard for four quarters and they were able to withstand adversity.”

Jesus, are you kidding me with this crap? If he was being serious and the players were singing and dancing in the locker room after that game yesterday, then he should've immediately put a stop to it. I would hope the kind of culture he's trying to introduce to our program includes the expectation of wiping the floor with FCS opponents. If you escape with a close win after playing poorly, good. Take it and move on. Don't dance and sing about it.

Reaction Score
I get that it's his personality to always be positive and optimistic. But when the team has just come off the field after nearly $hitting the bed against a bad FCS team, his speeches come off as disingenuous. Obviously he shouldn't be throwing the team under the bus after a bad game, but there's a middle ground where you can be honest about what your team is doing poorly and maybe not act like you've just beaten Alabama.

“We love winning. All of the players are singing and dancing (in the locker room) – as they should.”

“Our brotherhood and culture shined through. They played hard for four quarters and they were able to withstand adversity.”

Jesus, are you kidding me with this crap? If he was being serious and the players were singing and dancing in the locker room after that game yesterday, then he should've immediately put a stop to it. I would hope the kind of culture he's trying to introduce to our program includes the expectation of wiping the floor with FCS opponents. If you escape with a close win after playing poorly, good. Take it and move on. Don't dance and sing about it.

I think you're expecting to much. I don't think we all understand just how bad it was last year. Every bit of positivity and encouragement helps.

Reaction Score
BNich said:
I fully support him and staff and these young men as well. Encourgaging words through change are important. Big change is schemes the program overall. Encourage these guys. Lift them up. Push them, but demand results. They've been down and beaten down for 3 years. Time to uplift this team. They need the 12th man behind them regardless. If we all talk about getting to a P5 conference, spend your dollar, spare your voice and cheer this program on. Complaining, whining and doing nothing to change it is a net 0. Rebuilding takes time, involves change and positive results aren't always immediate. It really is a process. It needs to start from day 1. Every freshman class from this point forward is key.

It's fine. *I* don't need to listen to it. I support him but realize that I will be disappointed if I ever think I'm going to hear anything resembling insight at a post game press conference.

Reaction Score

Everything in moderation:;)

>>“We have the 24-hour rule after a game, whether it’s mourning or celebrating. We’re going to celebrate this one,” Diaco said. Then it’s back to work. There’s a lot to be done.<<

Reaction Score
I also support him 100% and truly believe he is the right person to turn around this program. I also realize we need to be patient and give the team our full support. It could be a rough year or two. I actually am extremely impressed with his enthusiasm , but I find myself cringing at some of the things he says. But I will take his BS over the stuff we got the last 3 years.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Sticktuitiveness
Care
Coaching each other

Words that mean nothing. I fully support him but I can't listen to him. It's nonsense.

All of these things, along with tapping rocks, energy vampires, filling buckets...it makes him sound as crazy as I am, which isn't good. At the same time, I'm hoping that some of it is simply his inability to contain his excitement, and I'm hoping that the rest of it is simply him needing to have a little more experience in the limelight, dealing with reporters and being the voice for a rabid fanbase. I think once he gets more experience underneath his belt, he'll stop with the clichés and the rest.

Until then, I'm hoping he simply states things like Medic posted: "We have the 24-hour rule after a game, whether it’s mourning or celebrating. We’re going to celebrate this one,” Diaco said. Then it’s back to work. There’s a lot to be done." I'm good with simply that...

Reaction Score
"I'm with him, but......"

Sorry, but if your "but" isn't with him you aren't with him. Just be bold and admit you have already soured on the guy after just two games. (and the guy already lost his starting QB)

I really don't understand the people who are demanding blood in the post game press conference, STFU about the post game press conferences already. Complaining about the post game press conference is the dumbest, lame ass thing that anyone could possibly complain about.

Here's a newsflash, sometimes you pat a team on the back when they struggle and kick them in the ass when they do well, its called keeping an even keel.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"I'm with him, but."

Sorry, but if your "but" isn't with him you aren't with him. Just be bold admit you have already soured on the guy after just two games.

I really don't understand the people who are demanding blood in the post game press conference, STFU about the post game press conferences already. Complaining about the post game press conference is the dumbest, lame ass, thing that anyone could possibly complain about.

I don't know about that. BYers complain about a lot of seemingly insignificant things.

Reaction Score
It's fine. *I* don't need to listen to it. I support him but realize that I will be disappointed if I ever think I'm going to hear anything resembling insight at a post game press conference.

Why should you? What ultimately matters is what the team discusses and changes from week to week. And in turn how that parlays into wins on the field. I'm pretty sure the staff and players could care less about what you might here in a press conference. But if you're willing to wait with baited breath for what you're hoping to hear, be my guest.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. BYers complain about a lot of seemingly insignificant things.

Amen.

I've read at least a dozen or more complaints about the 1.5 second long P.C. Richards whistle during games. What he says post game is fair to criticize.

But if you're willing to wait with baited breath for what you're hoping to hear, be my guest.

I could be misunderstanding his (or your) point, but I think J187 is saying he's not waiting or hoping to hear anything of substance, and he's accepted that, and still supports the coach.

Reaction Score
We all would like to see aN Auburnesque turnaround, I even had hope of this but can we please give a coach three years?

Reaction Score
I could be misunderstanding his (or your) point, but I think J187 is saying he's not waiting or hoping to hear anything of substance, and he's accepted that, and still supports the coach.

That's exactly right. I don't believe any less in Diaco. I just realize that this program is worse off than I thought (TJ gave me false hope). And I'll let him do his work, support him and the team, but I'm going to ignore most of the coach-speak that goes on pre/post-game. At this point he is just trying to put lipstick on a pig. Maybe when we are on firmer ground he will be more transparent.

Reaction Score
We all would like to see aN Auburnesque turnaround, I even had hope of this but can we please give a coach three years?

Did someone call for his job?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I understand what happened to Auburn in 2013. One item that people seem to omit from the equation is that their first year (with the team as HC) head coach, Gus Malzahn was their offensive coordinator a few years earlier, running the same system in 2013 as they ran for the entirety of the collegiate career of every player on their roster last season.

Reaction Score

And you may never hear it and more than likely will never hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom