I'm sick of love, when is Diaco gong to start scaring them? | The Boneyard

I'm sick of love, when is Diaco gong to start scaring them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's kinda hard to scare anybody when you come across as a big, friendly, doofus teddy bear.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agreed. I understand that NCAAF and NFL are two different animals, but I've always been partial to the "when are you going to get sick of losing?" mantra that Bill Parcells brought to the Giants and Patriots (and Jets). It's effective. Football players are macho, and when their macho-ness is questioned, they respond. I've yet to see a football player respond to love and hugs and kisses...well, at least respond well on the football field.

Reaction Score
Of all the peeps on the BY, I thought it would be you to prove me wrong. In less than 10 mins no less. You are an internet God, sir!

All a matter of timing.

Not sure you'll see Belichick give Gostkowski the same "encouragement".

Reaction Score
Diaco will probably never do that. Doubt it's his style. Although the increased frustration has been apparent in his press conferences this year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree more with those who see it as complacency and acceptance of losing behaviors.

Sadly, there is no "next man up" at UConn on the depth chart. Players can miss assignments and play lacksidaisical without fear of losing PT.

Reaction Score
Calhoun knew how to get players attention. Time after time he'd yank a guy right after they just came in and plop their on the bench so they could think about it. At this stage of the program Diaco could take a lesson from that. I don't buy there isn't enough depth to sit anybody for one or two sets. Get in the guys face and tell him he's not going back in til he's ready to start playing some football. Do it loud enough so everyone around him sees and hears it and that kid will be itching to prove he belongs. Effort and attention will be laser like focused when he does go back. If not he doesn't belong out there anyways.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Calhoun knew how to get players attention. Time after time he'd yank a guy right after they just came in and plop their on the bench so they could think about it. At this stage of the program Diaco could take a lesson from that. I don't buy there isn't enough depth to sit anybody for one or two sets. Get in the guys face and tell him he's not going back in til he's ready to start playing some football. Do it loud enough so everyone around him sees and hears it and that kid will be itching to prove he belongs. Effort and attention will be laser like focused when he does go back. If not he doesn't belong out there anyways.

Coach Calhoun was the last of a dying breed. Much like how it's softened a lot of kids these days the poosification of our society has squashed the tough love approach to coaching young people. It's even started to weasel it's way into our military training.

Diaco is too PC in my opinion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm going to guess BD coaches his players the way BD liked to be coached.

By all indications BD was self-motivated and an over achiever.

He wanted to please his coaches.

Unfortunately not everyone performs at their peak like that.

Bob seems like a worker whose tool box is nothing but straight slot screw drivers.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Bob seems like a worker whose tool box is nothing but straight slot screw drivers.

Well said.

Reaction Score

I agree, everyone is different. Some players need lots of encouragement while others respond to a harsher approach. The key question for any coach or leader is "what do I have to do to get maximum productivity from each individual". I believe the coaches know that, we just don't see what goes on behind the scenes.

Something died in Greenville. It hung over to the Temple game. I am interested to see how the team responds Saturday. I am hoping they were just tired and beat up physically and mentally, especially after too many losses. Losing sucks!

Reaction Score
Agreed. I understand that NCAAF and NFL are two different animals, but I've always been partial to the "when are you going to get sick of losing?" mantra that Bill Parcells brought to the Giants and Patriots (and Jets). It's effective. Football players are macho, and when their macho-ness is questioned, they respond. I've yet to see a football player respond to love and hugs and kisses...well, at least respond well on the football field.
Macho mach man. I've got to be a macho man!!!

In all seriousness I agree.

Reaction Score
Diaco will probably never do that. Doubt it's his style. Although the increased frustration has been apparent in his press conferences this year.

Would love to see him take the political hat off show real emotion. still comes off a bit phony without it. I wanna see him go Terry Collins. Just let loose.

Reaction Score

A Diaco-ism. explained yhe exactway he would. Just a little less wordy.

Reaction Score
Something died in Greenville. It hung over to the Temple game. I am interested to see how the team responds Saturday. I am hoping they were just tired and beat up physically and mentally, especially after too many losses. Losing sucks!

Started vs. UCF.

Reaction Score
I agree, everyone is different. Some players need lots of encouragement while others respond to a harsher approach. The key question for any coach or leader is "what do I have to do to get maximum productivity from each individual". I believe the coaches know that, we just don't see what goes on behind the scenes.

Parcells used to say that "I treat every player different" and "Of course, I treat Lawrence Taylor differently than the other players."

One of m favorite Vince Lombardi quotes is "I treat all my players the same, I treat them all like dogs."

Both were really tough coaches.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

For you I was the flame
Love is a losing game
Five story fire as you came
Love is losing game

One I wished, I never played
Oh, what a mess we made
And now the final frame
Love is a losing game

Played out by the band
Love is a losing hand
More than I could stand
Love is a losing hand

Self-professed profound
Till the chips were down
Know you're a gambling man
Love is a losing hand

Reaction Score
Parcells used to say that "I treat every player different" and "Of course, I treat Lawrence Taylor differently than the other players."

One of m favorite Vince Lombardi quotes is "I treat all my players the same, I treat them all like dogs."

Both were really tough coaches.

How many complaints do you think UConn AD would get now-a-days about Calhoun's "bench language"?

Reaction Score
Of all the peeps on the BY, I thought it would be you to prove me wrong. In less than 10 mins no less. You are an internet God, sir!
Wrong sir...he gave him The Kiss of Death if he were to miss. Scared the crap out of the kicker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom