I'm Not Buying It | The Boneyard

I'm Not Buying It

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I was going to keep quiet on this issue, but after seeing the Jenkins article reiterate the "media take" on McGraw's comments, an opinion also shared even by some here, I counter with my own opinion.

The "media line" is that the scheduling controversy is at the heart of this, with Auriemma claiming she fibbed being the precipitous moment. While no one like to be called a fibber, McGraw claimed in front of the camera that we "ducked" Notre Dame. There's a ton of logic and evidence refuting that decisively, though not obviously enough for a sports journalist to uncover. McGraw could be using this as an excuse to "set her off," but that would be childishly reprehensible to an extreme, particularly when there is a much more "reasonable" incident that would lead to her players sit in the front row to display their displeasure with Stewart.

To paraphrase, Auriemma claimed he would rather have players like Stewart then prima donnas. Auriemma was much less inflammatory than that, but it would not be a far stretch for McGraw to turn his claim that way and make it all about a dis to Diggins, whether specifically intended that way or not. There is at least a modicum (since MM likes that word) of impropriety to what Auriemma said in that case, much more than his "fib" statement. That also makes the "punishment" of what occurred at the award ceremony fit the alleged "crime." I can only go by what would be more likely to set me off personally, being called a fibber when it was true or imagining (pretending?) a player I loved being dissed. Even so, that awards ceremony display was bizarre. Most people would not resort to "gamesmanship" with their players as pawns. I'm not excusing McGraw, just a little fed up with how media takes a certain line of pure conjecture and runs with it.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Unless McGraw is admitting that her players are prima donnas, I don't know how this is a direct indictment of her players. Geno has said things like that in the past, about kids in general being tougher to coach, AAU programs making everyone believe they are a superstar, etc. If Muffett wants to take it as a slight that's because she recognizes her own players in what he's saying. That's not Geno's fault.

Reaction Score
I was going to keep quiet on this issue, but after seeing the Jenkins article reiterate the "media take" on McGraw's comments, an opinion also shared even by some here, I counter with my own opinion.

The "media line" is that the scheduling controversy is at the heart of this, with Auriemma claiming she fibbed being the precipitous moment. While no one like to be called a fibber, McGraw claimed in front of the camera that we "ducked" Notre Dame. There's a ton of logic and evidence refuting that decisively, though not obviously enough for a sports journalist to uncover. McGraw could be using this as an excuse to "set her off," but that would be childishly reprehensible to an extreme, particularly when there is a much more "reasonable" incident that would lead to her players sit in the front row to display their displeasure with Stewart.

To paraphrase, Auriemma claimed he would rather have players like Stewart then prima donnas. Auriemma was much less inflammatory than that, but it would not be a far stretch for McGraw to turn his claim that way and make it all about a dis to Diggins, whether specifically intended that way or not. There is at least a modicum (since MM likes that word) of impropriety to what Auriemma said in that case, much more than his "fib" statement. That also makes the "punishment" of what occurred at the award ceremony fit the alleged "crime." I can only go by what would be more likely to set me off personally, being called a fibber when it was true or imagining (pretending?) a player I loved being dissed. Even so, that awards ceremony display was bizarre. Most people would not resort to "gamesmanship" with their players as pawns. I'm not excusing McGraw, just a little fed up with how media takes a certain line of pure conjecture and runs with it.
I thought Geno's comment was more of a dis to the A'ja Wilson type self-hoopla - announcing her commit decision in LaBron "Decision" style on ESPNU on the 16th. But what do I know?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought Geno's comment was more of a dis to the A'ja Wilson type self-hoopla - announcing her commit decision in LaBron "Decision" style on ESPNU on the 16th. But what do I know?
I think you are misjudging the kid.

Reaction Score

That's right you know nothing. How is your assumption do any good if A'ja Wilson read this even though you're wrong? Are you a UConn saboteur?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That's right you know nothing. How is your assumption do any good if A'ja Wilson read this even though you're wrong? Are you a UConn saboteur?:rolleyes:
You're right - I don't know what was in his head at the time. Sorry maybe I should have said, "Charde Houston-type signing press conference." He was talking about Stewart signing her intent letter on the hood of a car and said something like, "That's the type of players I want to come here, they don't need a big network press conference....". Just what it brought to my mind, because of current recruiting news. I doubt if this site is a big recruiting influence anyway. And if I WAS a UCONN saboteur I doubt if I would have any influence. But, regardless, I certainly wasn't implying anyone is a prima donna and am sorry if it came off that way.

Reaction Score

From what he said to saboteur is a real stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom