I'm beginning to think that the Big East is allowing too much physicality | The Boneyard

I'm beginning to think that the Big East is allowing too much physicality

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Especially in the post. Although that's a trend in the NBA too

Can't breathe on a player 25 feet from the hoop. Touching fingertips is a foul well after releasing a three point shot

While the entire arm is evidently part of the ball in the paint

What sucks for us is that we're strong down low. Our three point shooters only assassin us

Reaction Score
It’s definitely too physical that’s why they call them “the big east wars”

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You do realize, this would hurt us not help us if they called it tight in the post?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
You do realize, this would hurt us not help us if they called it tight in the post?
You mean we'd get even less free throws, gosh darn

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I'm old.

I'm so old that I remember the big East was not just physical, but they positively encouraged the physicality. To the point that The Big East (only conference, then or since) went to six fouls, before ejection.

Reaction Score
The joke in the old days was if there was a whistle yell at the ref “what do you think this is the pac 10”?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I agree with what you’re saying- the dichotomy wit how the perimeter and post are officiating is mind boggling.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This NBE is tame compared to the real BE
It did hurt teams as Pitt in the OBE during the NCAAs but UConn was as physical but also had finesse players. The physicality didn't stop them from winning 3 National titles.
Today's refs could never call an OBE game

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Saw a stat that fouls are way down across the sport this year. Was about 19 a game when they went to the freedom of movement thing, this year its 16. The stats actually confirm what it feels like.

Reaction Score
That was part of the old Pitt teams problem when they got to.the tourney and the physical play wasn't tolerated. Same with Cinci
DeJuan Blair used to make me so angry during the season.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This NBE is tame compared to the real BE
It did hurt teams as Pitt in the OBE during the NCAAs but UConn was as physical but also had finesse players. The physicality didn't stop them from winning 3 National titles.
Today's refs could never call an OBE game

I always felt like it helped us and hurt finesse teams out of the ACC and Pac-10. Refs would swallow the whistle and those teams that were used to 87-85 games wouldn't know what to do in a 57-55 game. Meanwhile, we were always prepared for a rock fight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The joke in the old days was if there was a whistle yell at the ref “what do you think this is the pac 10”?
I’ve told the story before I’m the boneyard, but when Rutgers first joined the Big East I went to our first game at the RAC with a buddy of mine. Behind us a few rows was a judge who kept yelling about the contact. “Hey ref! Watch the hand checking! Ref! This ain’t the NBA! Come on ref that’s a foul!.” Etc. Finally, in the second half I couldn’t take it anymore and I looked back at him and yelled “Hey judge, you’re right. This ain’t the NBA. It’s the Big East! If your girls can’t stand a little contact they should’ve stayed in the A-10!!” Everyone laughed and he put up a hand acknowledging my comment and chilled out for the rest of the game.

My buddy leans over to me and says “Very funny, but now I won’t win an motion in front of him for six months.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom