I'm a Uconn fan because ... | The Boneyard

I'm a Uconn fan because ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like teams perceived as underdogs.
There is no professional sport in Connecticut to divert my attention.

I could rattle off a hundred reasons but I'll leave some for you guys to use.

what is your reason?

Reaction Score
Calhoun made UConn exciting, brought in fans, made UConn a winner with grit, determination & toughness.
Ollie is carrying on the tradition of excellence, with hard work & love.
Opposites in personality, but both determined to excel & achieve...
Winners... How could you not be a fan?

ncb_u_calhoun-ollie_mb_600.jpg

Reaction Score
Because there's nothing else to do in this state in the winter. ;)

(Because my dad got his MBA at UCONN in the Bialosuknia days and got me into the Huskies in the Tony Hanson days.)

Reaction Score
Family is from Connecticut. Grew up in Connecticut during the early cellar dwelling days in the BE. Went to college out of state at a school with low d1 bball during the dream season and felt connected with my home state. By the time I moved away, I was all in.

Reaction Score
Where should I start? Always have been and always will be. Whole family attended the school. Cried as a kid when they lost. Cry as an adult when they win (titles)... and that game at Ramstein when I felt something special. Worship the lineage of greats who have come through the program, along with the less-heralded guys who were the fabric of so many tremendous teams we've been spoiled with. Recognize its history before the days as a national power and appreciate those years building us into what we've become, which I couldn't be prouder of..

Reaction Score
because I resided in the state for 65 years
Actually as a young sports fan Yale was more relevent than UConn especially downstate.
As a blue collar kid ,I viewed those guys in New Haven as foreign invaders ,that we battled with on Derby days. UConn In contrast belonged to us.
When I found them on radio in the winter of 54-55 I was hooked.
Heck that was 60 years ago
It was a big year I discovered Rock&Roll and girls all about the same time.

Reaction Score
Because I was born, raised and have lived in CT for my entire life.

Because I grew up watching UConn with names like Wes, Penders, Toby, and Hanson. It was one of the few things I was ever able to enjoy with my father.

Because UConn is my alma mater and my wife's alma mater. It's where we met and fell in love.

Because I was Sports Editor of the Daily Campus and covered UConn basketball with passion and pride.

Because I have been season ticket holder for decades for both the men and women. And I have experienced highs as a fan I never could have imagined.

Because Tampa in 1999 ranks just below my my marriage and the birth of my sons as the most amazing moments of my life.

Because my sons attend universities other than UConn (RIT and Fordham) and they too remain deeply loyal UConn bb fans.

And damn, UConn brings me an emotional joy that can only be duplicated by watching your own children perform athletically (or musically, dramatically, academically).

I'm a UConn diehard. I am emotionally connected to the school in almost indefinable ways. The place makes me proud.

And I idolize Jim Calhoun!

Reaction Score
UConn wins the NIT, never looked back

For me its similar but more complex. I was a senior in High School who grew up in Windsor CT. To be honest at the time the BBall team at Windsor High was more exciting, they went against Hillhouse in the State Semifinals and played against a stunning sophmore named Anthony Harris who I had heard commited to Syracuse I think but never did anything in College(I may be mixing up some teams but not the person) Windsor had a All State player themselves named Chad robinson who had one of the biggest vertical leaps I had ever seen, he was like 6' 3, could shoot and jump out of the gym(he was smart too and ended up going to harvard and decided not to play ball). They lost that game but it was a fun run. Anyway my father played for Uconn in the 60's with Art Quimby. He was an all state ball player at Milford Prep who once scored 37 in a game and that was the record for a while in the state. He is about my height, 5' 8 or so but man he could shoot, quick release like nobodies business. He did not play much for Uconn but still being on the team he has some stories. Anyway I was not sold but watched them win the NIT which piqued my interest. I was in College for the dream season, myself and a bunch of other CT guys watched the Tate George shot in the common room and went nuts. I was pretty sold then, but Ray Allen really sealed the deal, wow what an incredible college player he was to watch. I went to my buddies who went to Uconn and watched a game when Ray was a sophmore and starting to come on with all of them. I think it was Georgetown, he put in 36 points. Amazing, we went out after it was all anyone could talk about. So ya its long winded but I have been hooked for a while now, good times!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Weird but I have no clue why! There were no family members or friends to guide me. I wasn't a fan of any sports team. And there I was, as a young kid, trying to get UConn games on the radio. Reception was poor so I should have given up but for some odd reason I didn't stop trying. I have vague recollections of Toby Kimball.

Time passed. I began following UConn when it joined the BE but did so intermittently. And then one summer I told my wife that in the upcoming season I would make every effort possible to catch every game I could and hoped she would understand. That happened to be the summer before the dream season. What a serendipitous choice.

So I guess I'm a UConn fan because it was destined for me!

Reaction Score
I love everything about the team and the program. I have attended games since the fall of 1982. I have always been thrilled with how UConn manages to outwork, outcoach, outhustle and outsmart other teams filled with comparable or better talent. UConn has a unique resolve that I don't see in other teams, and it flowed/flows from JC and KO. Both coaches demand a huge amount from the players. Look at how Boat completely dismantled the other team's backcourts in the tournament. That was pure desire and determination... that was the essence of UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
i've watched all their games on tv for almost 30 years but never been to a live game.
we're very lucky to have had all these great teams and memories.

and like others have said. Uconn basketball is Connecticut's only true sport's franchise.

Reaction Score
My parents moved to CT the year of the dream season. I remember him saying "it's late it's Tate it's great" before I knew what that meant. He used to have me stand in front if the tv and wave my arms when opponents shot foul shots. Me and my best friend wore our Rip jerseys together for twin day in 2nd grade. I used to be so tired in school the day after games, but damn the night drives and cold walks from north eagleville road(not sure why he parked there) to gampel are my most cherished childhood memories. The monstrous chemistry building intimidated me so much. I remember pulling over on 66 and trying to spot a meteor shower after one game.
My mom wanted me to pay attention to mek because he really put in work in the classroom. My brother adopted BG's foul shot routine in middle school (4 regular dribbles iirc). I suppose I'm a uconn fan because I was raised one. I don't want kids for some time but I can't wait to raise more uconn fans.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They have a great internship program in the the accounting dept. And I gave them nearly $100k over a 4 year period in the late '90s in order to attend and make life long friends as well as my soul mate. As an out of stater, UConn was not a fallback school for me.

Oh and Scotty Burrell had me at Hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul