I'm a bit confused | The Boneyard

I'm a bit confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So UConn was terrible tonight. They have been terrible all season. (Warning to Pudge: I'm going to point out they are 0-6 against the spread - which is not easy to do.)

What I'm confused by is the number of posters who suddenly are out on Diaco.

It was pretty clear the staff was overmatched all season. I can't understand why if you ignored it for five games, the sixth is an issue?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This isn't rocket science.

People are not going to fall off the ledge at the same rate.

Everyone has a breaking point, but not everyone has the same breaking point.

I actually thought we'd win tonight.

Reaction Score
It is getting worst by the game it seems. We seem to be regressing. Using two timeouts in three plays to punt on the Tulane side of the field, running the Delorenzo from so far deep in the endzone when the play seemed to be screaming for a QB sneak or an audible to go shotgun and throw a hot read because Tulane sold out on a run play, which I predicted they would do last week and we would have no adjustment for.

I'm not giving up on Diaco, but there are signs that he is in over his head. Way too conservative. Too much. When they scored the FG to go up two scores, the game was over regardless of how much time was left, but he continues to coach like it is a tie game.

Reaction Score
The team needs OL, whether it's JUCO or transfers it needs to happen.

Reaction Score
Pathetic for 2 weeks of prep. Play calling was pathetic. 2 TOs in a row in 4th, inexcusable. More turnovers. Zero play action. No line protection. Another freakin safety? I can't stand it anymore. Now I want to punch that little pretty boy right in 'in face. He gets no more mulligans from me because he has produced zero improvement. This is laughable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You are right, I wasn't confused I just found it amusing.

Reaction Score
What's so confusing? We're clearly tanking at this point to get the #1 recruiting draft pick in the offseason.

Reaction Score
time for the call to the bullpen: Mr. James A. Calhoun for ad

bring the ace, the stopper, the closer . . now before it is too late

Reaction Score
Now I want to punch that little pretty boy right in 'in face.

I'd actually like to see that. The headline would be:

"obnoxious, half witted twit gets the crap beat out him by Bob Diaco and then gets carted off to jail" Note the emphasis on obnoxious half witted twit.

Reaction Score
It is getting worst by the game it seems. We seem to be regressing. Using two timeouts in three plays to punt on the Tulane side of the field, running the Delorenzo from so far deep in the endzone when the play seemed to be screaming for a QB sneak or an audible to go shotgun and throw a hot read because Tulane sold out on a run play, which I predicted they would do last week and we would have no adjustment for.

I'm not giving up on Diaco, but there are signs that he is in over his head. Way too conservative. Too much. When they scored the FG to go up two scores, the game was over regardless of how much time was left, but he continues to coach like it is a tie game.

Hate to say it, but this is exactly what happens when you [Warde] hire a defensive coach for a team that has been struggling offensively for years now. It would take some time regardless, but it would help to have somebody with that sort of expertise in the first place. It's like having an English teacher substitute for a science teacher; the best they can do is hand out assignments and bide their time.

Reaction Score
They just need to get the offensive line working and this is a completely different story in which all of you would be calling Diaco "the second coming...". Whitmer with time is a better QB. The RB's with holes they can count on being there are conference rush leaders. The D wouldn't be on the field as much thus would be fresh heading into the last quarter. I'm wondering if Foley will be back next year. I'm doubting it. Whether he deserves it or not he'll probably be taking the fall for the O-line woes. So now the question is..... who is out there that can get these guys to push and block? The O-line has sucked since before Edsall left(give credit where it's due, Edsall did have some good O-lines, just not at the end of his reign). The only constant through all that time has been Foley. Who was the last D-1 caliber O-lineman that Foley got to buy into this program?

Reaction Score
They just need to get the offensive line working and this is a completely different story in which all of you would be calling Diaco "the second coming...". Whitmer with time is a better QB. The RB's with holes they can count on being there are conference rush leaders. The D wouldn't be on the field as much thus would be fresh heading into the last quarter. I'm wondering if Foley will be back next year. I'm doubting it. Whether he deserves it or not he'll probably be taking the fall for the O-line woes. So now the question is..... who is out there that can get these guys to push and block? The O-line has sucked since before Edsall left(give credit where it's due, Edsall did have some good O-lines, just not at the end of his reign). The only constant through all that time has been Foley. Who was the last D-1 caliber O-lineman that Foley got to buy into this program?

I've pointed this out before: Edsall did have a year (2006) where he had a horrid line. LaMagdelain, Hutcherson, Kersmanc. And, somewhere between Game 1 and Game 8, they totally revamped the OLine and were inserting Will Beatty, Donald Thomas and Zach Hurd.

You get cycles of College that this will happen (at UConn's level - doesn't happen at Michigan State or Alabama). The difference for Edsall was that he had a full complement of kids he had brought in and it was easier to transition to the not-ready-for-primetime and take those chances. For Diaco/Foley/Cummings, they have to be pushing the fresh faced Freshmen in Rutherford, Crozier and eventually Oak. Apparently, they had a few guys that they totally gave up on. Some of the 5/8 will get better and be serviceable. There's hope in that. But, we don't have the roster that leads to a quicker turn.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Honestly, it is hard for me to care about coaching decisions or the staff being quote-unquote overmatched when the team is obviously incompetent at the O-line and QB all positioning the depth chart. To spend time analyzing decisions as if the team was ever going to win a game in conventional ways (i.e. run/pass ratio, time of possession, eliminating turnovers) is frankly a waste of time and/or delusional. This offense generates very few yards and on the occasions it moves the ball to the other side of the field it promptly turns it over. The only way we will win any more games this year is if we generate multiple defensive scores. Diaco knows this, so he is treating offensive possessions as teaching opportunities and thus the normal conventions on timeouts, strategies etc do not apply. I don't suppose this will prevent the boneyard from wasting thousands of characters in meaningless analysis though.

Reaction Score
The confusing part is that their regressing not progressing. It seems like if they actually have a chance to win a game like vs USF, Temple, Tulane they choke, and play horribly. When they have pretty much nothing to lose like vs BYU and Boise they play better. It seems like the pressure is off, they preform, and whatever happens so be it. I expect a better game vs ECU since nobody will pick them to win and the pressure is off. The losing mentality really comes into play with teams they should beat.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is all on Diaco. We, without a doubt, have a major talent deficiency on this roster. Other than Davis, Foxx, and maybe young RB's, there's just not a lot of D1 talent on offense. That's not on Diaco.

That does not mean he's been good. Between all of the subsitutions, his in game decisions, the offensive system, and his handling of Boyle he's been less than underwhelming.

He's not a miracle worker. But his performance to date warrants a heavy dose of criticism.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
I don't think this is all on Diaco. We, without a doubt, have a major talent deficiency on this roster. Other than Davis, Foxx, and maybe young RB's, there's just not a lot of D1 talent on offense. That's not on Diaco.

That does not mean he's been good. Between all of the subsitutions, his in game decisions, the offensive system, and his handling of Boyle he's been less than underwhelming.

He's not a miracle worker. But his performance to date warrants a heavy dose of criticism.

This is the appropriate level of reality, anger, despair, skepticism, rationalization, hope, fear, and exasperation.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

If we can come within shouting distance of breaking even with turnovers we would have had a shot in a couple of losses this season, including last night's game.

Reaction Score
So UConn was terrible tonight. They have been terrible all season. (Warning to Pudge: I'm going to point out they are 0-6 against the spread - which is not easy to do.)

What I'm confused by is the number of posters who suddenly are out on Diaco.

It was pretty clear the staff was overmatched all season. I can't understand why if you ignored it for five games, the sixth is an issue?
We made zero progress. Maybe we can't expect wins but not regression. Since game 1 we have gone backwards.

Reaction Score
I'd actually like to see that. The headline would be:

"obnoxious, half witted twit gets the crap beat out him by Bob Diaco and then gets carted off to jail" Note the emphasis on obnoxious half witted twit.
it's called hyperbole look it up in the dictionary, the word is spelled for you.

Reaction Score
lemmings.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member