If you're Ward Manuel, what has to happen to offer Ollie extension? | The Boneyard

If you're Ward Manuel, what has to happen to offer Ollie extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember, this team is picked 9th in the Big East, lost Oriakhi, Smith, Drummond and Lamb from last year's team, have limited talent in the frontcourt and are on probation. Obviously, he is looking at how hard the team is playing overall, the offensive flow, the defensive intensity, how the team reacts after timeouts, how much respect Ollie is getting from players, etc. But if it comes down to the end of the season and the extension has not been offered yet, how much will their final record have in the decision to offer the contract extension and what would be considered a successful season given the talent level that Ollie has been given on this team to coach this season?

20 win season
Over .500 in the Big East
Winning record
Keeping the team competitive in losses

Just wonder what criteria Ward has in mind in making his decision.

Reaction Score
I think Warde is leaning toward offering KO, but he needs to wait until January to save face. Make it look like his genius hire

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
can we stop these threads until something happens, a report, contract etc... they're all over this board and the same things keep getting repeated, it's all negative vibes man... good vibes man good vibes

Reaction Score
really dont think the record will matter. You cant honestly base KO on an extension based on this years record solely . JC has done everything possible to circle the troops, and if Ray and Caron were open they would be here too. Someone said it in another thread, (apology for the hijack) but Wardes house would get lit on fire if KO doesnt get his chance. JC built the house and annointed KO as the new king. Tick .. tock

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Recruiting, maintaining the level of effort and keeping certain individuals from just trying to get theirs, if we start getting bombed in BE play because we can't rebound.

I would expect a leak about a long term deal in Mid-Jan with the actual deal not signed until the season is over. Gives Warde some wiggle room if the season tanks AND a marquis candidate emerges.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
he simply needs to wake up, not very complicated y'know

Jim

Reaction Score
I think Warde is leaning toward offering KO, but he needs to wait until January to save face.
I agree about the need for Warde to save face. I think he also wants to see the team's first semester GPA to confirm the academic issues are in the past, so January sounds about right. Maybe saving the new contract as a Christmas present. :)

Reaction Score
I think Ward Manuel wants to see how Ollie handles the adversity that is sure to come. Uconn will lose four or five in a row when Big East play starts in part because they just don't have the horses this year. If Ollie keeps them playing hard through the difficult times, he will get a long term deal. Everything that I have seen so far tells me that Ollie is going to be a great coach. Even better, everything I have seen and heard tells me that he is going to be regarded as even a better person.

Reaction Score
He needs to show he can get the team refocused after a frustrating loss and he needs to show he can get a young team to improve. The latter will take about 12 to 14 games to show a positive trend or about midway into the season. Pure logic, as opposed to the irrational emotion shown over and over again on this board, dictates a decision midway through the season. And as much as people want to play chicken little, waiting until that point doesn't set our recruiting back 4 or even 2 years. It sets it back one year at the most. If ollie can't stop it at one year once he gets his multiyear contract then maybe he isn't the right guy after all. Calhoun screwed up multiple recruiting classes over the years and always managed to bounce back quickly.

Reaction Score
Remember, this team is picked 9th in the Big East, lost Oriakhi, Smith, Drummond and Lamb from last year's team, have limited talent in the frontcourt and are on probation. Obviously, he is looking at how hard the team is playing overall, the offensive flow, the defensive intensity, how the team reacts after timeouts, how much respect Ollie is getting from players, etc. But if it comes down to the end of the season and the extension has not been offered yet, how much will their final record have in the decision to offer the contract extension and what would be considered a successful season given the talent level that Ollie has been given on this team to coach this season?

20 win season
Over .500 in the Big East
Winning record
Keeping the team competitive in losses

Just wonder what criteria Ward has in mind in making his decision.
On the game side, I think he just wants to see if the players continue to play hard especially in loses . 13 years as a PG in the NBA so he knows Ollie will be good at Xs and Os. Just as important is how the players perform in the classroom and conduct themselves; no disciplinary issues.
Ollie is hard not to like as a person.
Ollie and Allen occasionally play golf at a public course in Connecticut and I have played with Ray but never Ollie. Ray is very quiet but respectful and pleasant. The staff told me that while Ray is likable Ollie doesn't expect any special treatment and is a yes sir no sir type of guy. He talks to everyone and has no special airs and makes everyone around him feel important.

Reaction Score
He needs to show he can get the team refocused after a frustrating loss and he needs to show he can get a young team to improve. The latter will take about 12 to 14 games to show a positive trend or about midway into the season. Pure logic, as opposed to the irrational emotion shown over and over again on this board, dictates a decision midway through the season. And as much as people want to play chicken little, waiting until that point doesn't set our recruiting back 4 or even 2 years. It sets it back one year at the most. If ollie can't stop it at one year once he gets his multiyear contract then maybe he isn't the right guy after all. Calhoun screwed up multiple recruiting classes over the years and always managed to bounce back quickly.

Ollie isn't Calhoun. Neither is Shaka Smart.
The sheen of excellence wears off quickly.

People's attitudes about recruiting are so cavalier.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ollie isn't Calhoun. Neither is Shaka Smart.
The sheen of excellence wears off quickly.

People's attitudes about recruiting are so cavalier.

??

In any event, to make this decision Warde needs:
1) the passage of time, and
2) no major mistakes by Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads