If you like Gampel you're out of luck | The Boneyard

If you like Gampel you're out of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After next week's game against DePaul we won't have another game there until the end of January. I didn't realize this little tidbit, but Geno brought it up in the press conference as I mentioned in the murderer's row thread. I think UConn probably has the most home (official and unofficial) arenas of any team whether that be Gampel (Storrs), XL (Hartford), Mohegan Sun (Montville), Webster Bank (Bridgeport), or MSG (Manhattan). Hopefully this young team can adapt! For the players that can't go home for the holiday because of Black Friday practice, enjoy the lasagna that Geno's mom is cooking up for you.

Reaction Score
The student support for the Baylor game was awesome! Yeah, it was too bad most had left for the holiday when the Dayton game was played. I do like them playing games at Gampel when school is in session.

Reaction Score
Actually playing at all the different venues helps uconn be a great road team. How many other programs play in 4 different arenas they call home?

Reaction Score
It's shameful in a way. I've always thought that the students are getting cheated.
I tend to agree. The Old Field House--as hard as the bleacher seats were--the place was full of STUDENTS. I'm an old fart and love my UCWBB--always in my heart i was a student at these games--and I believe the administration should think first about the STuDEnTS then us potential donors second. The Field house was pure college (of the time) rowdy students (URI and Uconn were the loudest)\\\
That atmosphere separates College from any other form of sports for me.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Actually playing at all the different venues helps uconn be a great road team. How many other programs play in 4 different arenas they call home?
Good time for someone to post a link to that scene from"Hoosiers," when the coach (Gene Hackman) has a player use a tape to measure the height of the rim to confirm that it's 10' from the floor.

Reaction Score
Students who live far away obviously won't show up for games if they're on break... So if you want students there, it's a good thing that there are no games during break. Yes, it's a long time for us, but better for students. (Plus, as a former student who went to games even during break, I can attest that the games are more fun with additional students and a full pep band!) And of course there's always the people who only show up for big games, like Baylor.

Reaction Score
FWIW, the men's team has pretty much the same schedule: mainly at the XL.

Don't forget that Hartford is the state capital. And most of UConn's revenue flows from there. Playing in front of gov't officials can only be a good thing.

Reaction Score
That might be true if students showed up for the games in Gampel.

The student section at Gampel is usually full when school is in session and students are on campus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I tend to agree. The Old Field House--as hard as the bleacher seats were--the place was full of STUDENTS. I'm an old fart and love my UCWBB--always in my heart i was a student at these games--and I believe the administration should think first about the STuDEnTS then us potential donors second. The Field house was pure college (of the time) rowdy students (URI and Uconn were the loudest)\\\
That atmosphere separates College from any other form of sports for me.
Agree, but I note that when they were playing in the Field House when I was in school woman's BB games had less than 500 in attendance.

It was a great venue when packed with crowd right next to the court and dust falling from rafters when things got really loud.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
FWIW, the men's team has pretty much the same schedule: mainly at the XL.

Don't forget that Hartford is the state capital. And most of UConn's revenue flows from there. Playing in front of gov't officials can only be a good thing.
if they even show up... give them to their grandkids who scalp them for cash or to seem like a bigshot

Reaction Score
Agree, but I note that when they were playing in the Field House when I was in school woman's BB games had less than 500 in attendance.

It was a great venue when packed with crowd right next to the court and dust falling from rafters when things got really loud.
500 attendance??? 50 maybe. However, at noon (extended noon) we'd have loads of fun playing some pickup games there.
Most of the games attended were Men's games---Even those were lucky to have 500--I don't know what the Field house held but it wasn't anywhere near Gampel.
Thanks for the memory!!!

Reaction Score
500 attendance??? 50 maybe. However, at noon (extended noon) we'd have loads of fun playing some pickup games there.
Most of the games attended were Men's games---Even those were lucky to have 500--I don't know what the Field house held but it wasn't anywhere near Gampel.
Thanks for the memory!!!

I went to bunch of women's games from 1983 to 1985 while I was at UConn. I started going because there was no charge, so the price was right. 50 people in attendance was a lot closer to the mark than 500. The crowds at these games were sparse to say the least.

Reaction Score
I went to bunch of women's games from 1983 to 1985 while I was at UConn. I started going because there was no charge, so the price was right. 50 people in attendance was a lot closer to the mark than 500. The crowds at these games were sparse to say the least.
You are probably correct--I doubt anyone took attendance---but as a WBB fan, then and now, thanks for going to any of those games.
In 83 I was at UALR and 10/20 at their Women's games was a large number--fast foward to the early 90's Annapolis (Navy) at home played free Women's games prior to Men's games( 2 games for the price of 1)--and they were well attended.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Ceiling haters rejoice!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I remember lifting just outside the court, which was screen by a vinyl curtain, and peaking in to watch the games in between sets. Yeah less than 500 was generous description for the crowd was generous. "Sparse" may have been a better term.

The field house was a great place to watch a game. It sat less than 5000, but was always packed and loud. I loved those games. Those were the days that made me a fan for life.

@BroadwayVa

Reaction Score
I remember lifting just outside the court, which was screen by a vinyl curtain, and peaking in to watch the games in between sets. Yeah less than 500 was generous description for the crowd was generous. "Sparse" may have been a better term.

The field house was a great place to watch a game. It sat less than 5000, but was always packed and loud. I loved those games. Those were the days that made me a fan for life.

@BroadwayVa

I really enjoyed those close /together games. That atmosphere, with the rowdy /engaged student body was energizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom