If you could do it over again … | The Boneyard

If you could do it over again …

Reaction Score
… where would you have gone? Sports was certainly not a reason I picked UConn. Although I did become a big fan of soccer, women’s basketball, men’s basketball and football. I grew up maybe 25 minutes from campus, but didn’t follow any UConn sports previously. I became much more interested in football, not even close.
I sometimes wonder how it would have been to attend a successful major football school. Little did I know I’d end up being a UConn football fan for life!

I don’t see them much anymore, but had some friends that went to Michigan. Most of the time they were miserable in the fall. Imagine that, with all the success that program has had over the years.

Seriously, I’m very happy with the education and experience I had way back then at UConn. I would have preferred that the football attempt to move up would have come out better. The basketball national championships were a pleasant surprise!

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I'm happy with where I went to school ultimately. If I had done anything differently I might have applied to a couple higher ranked schools like Georgetown, Cornell, etc. I don't think those are a great cultural fit for me but you can't argue with those diplomas.

Reaction Score
I would have deferred my acceptance and do two years at CC straight away. Took me two years of screwing up to figure it out. But I did figure it out!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I would have deferred my acceptance and do two years at CC straight away. Took me two years of screwing up to figure it out. But I did figure it out!
I spent my first two years at the Stamford branch, and I think that was beneficial overall. As a freshman up in Storrs, I would have been lost in those huge entry level classes. Plus...it allowed me to work and get my partying out in a more controlled environment...lol.

Reaction Score
I was a college basketball junkie and UConn diehard in high school, but have become less interested in CBB generally and more diehard about UConn since college. That said, if I could do it all over again and had the choice, I would have gone to a warm weather school. Texas, Arizona, Arizona State and Florida State come to mind.

Reaction Score
… where would you have gone? Sports was certainly not a reason I picked UConn. Although I did become a big fan of soccer, women’s basketball, men’s basketball and football. I grew up maybe 25 minutes from campus, but didn’t follow any UConn sports previously. I became much more interested in football, not even close.
I sometimes wonder how it would have been to attend a successful major football school. Little did I know I’d end up being a UConn football fan for life!

I don’t see them much anymore, but had some friends that went to Michigan. Most of the time they were miserable in the fall. Imagine that, with all the success that program has had over the years.

Seriously, I’m very happy with the education and experience I had way back then at UConn. I would have preferred that the football attempt to move up would have come out better. The basketball national championships were a pleasant surprise!

Pepperdine.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I grew up going to Uconn basketball and football games and loved my time at UConn. However, I've always hated the cold so Ive always wondered what it would've been like to go to a warm weather school like U of A, ASU, Texas, Miami, etc.

Reaction Score
5 or 6 of the best years of your life. Gun to my head, if I had to change, I might go to a smaller school, nicer climate, Pepperdine perhaps.

Reaction Score
I went to Manchester Community College. Went and worked for a family business then got my degree in Business Administration, then Computer Programming and now, since I'm semi-retired, I'm doing a correspondence course in Naval Architecture.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
UConn was the only school I applied to. I had the opportunity to attend Brown University and passed on it. I’ve never regretted the decision. I had a blast at my four years in Storrs and I made terrific friends. It was at UConn that I developed my lifelong passion for Connecticut athletics. I can’t put into words all the joy, and sometimes frustration, that has given me.

Regarding academics, I still use things that I learned at UConn. Whenever anyone asks I always recommend it highly. It is a special place.

Reaction Score
Two things contributed to my survival at UConn.
My application was delayed at my high school for some reason, so I ended up working for a year. And then I ended up at the Hartford branch my first two years for various reasons. Not much partying at the Hartford branch when I was there.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I wanted to go to only one school my whole life: UConn. It was the only school I applied to.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I wanted to go out West (UCLA, Colorado) or Boston, but after my dad died when I was 15, I basically torched my HS career, going from honor roll student on path for scholarships to drug-addled sociopath, lol. Thankfully I could still get it together for standardized tests, and my SATs saved my ass. Wanted to do journalism, Dayton took me, but I couldn't stand the Jesuit thing during orientation, so bailed out to the state safety school - UConn - where I could get into the Stamford Branch at the 11th hour. They'd pretty much take anyone back in the 70s. Hadn't given UConn an ounce of consideration before that. And they didn't offer journalism as a major so I had no clue what I was going to do when I got there.
I spent my first two years at the Stamford branch, and I think that was beneficial overall. As a freshman up in Storrs, I would have been lost in those huge entry level classes. Plus...it allowed me to work and get my partying out in a more controlled environment...lol.
I don't know how old you are, but I went there during the last couple of years when 18 was still legal age. Friday night mixers were quite the thing and to this day I don't know how there weren't more cars wrapped around trees on Scofieldtown Rd. after those things.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If I could re-do my time at UConn? LOL

5439_ret.jpg

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I wanted to go out West (UCLA, Colorado) or Boston, but after my dad died when I was 15, I basically torched my HS career, going from honor roll student on path for scholarships to drug-addled sociopath, lol. Thankfully I could still get it together for standardized tests, and my SATs saved my ass. Wanted to do journalism, Dayton took me, but I couldn't stand the Jesuit thing during orientation, so bailed out to the state safety school - UConn - where I could get into the Stamford Branch at the 11th hour. They'd pretty much take anyone back in the 70s. Hadn't given UConn an ounce of consideration before that. And they didn't offer journalism as a major so I had no clue what I was going to do when I got there.

I don't know how old you are, but I went there during the last couple of years when 18 was still legal age. Friday night mixers were quite the thing and to this day I don't know how there weren't more cars wrapped around trees on Scofieldtown Rd. after those things.
I graduated high school in 1982....so I was there in 83 and 84. The drinking age was moving at that time. I would be of age...then lose it. I don't remember Friday night mixers...but I was working a lot of hours at the time and may have just missed it.

Reaction Score
I grew up as a product of a mixed WWII marriage (Wisconsin dad who graduated from Michigan and an Alabama mom)...

My brother, sister, uncle, cousins, all were Auburn grads....After my time with the green machine, I spent a weekend with a friend at FSU....ended up going to school there. I was older than most freshmen and had not a lot of extra time between class and work.

Grad work at Wisconsin...

What I'd like to do different? Not work/study/work.

Have a classic college experience....rush a fraternity, party...have more fun. College, to me, was just something to grind through to get to a career.

I might as well have gone to a community college.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I graduated high school in 1982....so I was there in 83 and 84. The drinking age was moving at that time. I would be of age...then lose it. I don't remember Friday night mixers...but I was working a lot of hours at the time and may have just missed it.
I fell on the right side of things for drinking. I went to UConn from 74-78, the drinking age went from 21 to 18 in 1972, then as you say, it started creeping up in the early 80s, to 19 in '82, then 20 in '83, and finally 21 in '85. Pretty much everyone at the Stamford Branch would've been 18 or 19, a few 20, so it would follow that mixers stopped being a thing when you were there as almost everyone was below drinking age.

Reaction Score
Dad. Uncle. older family members are all Alums. Grew up listening to George Erlich's play-by-play of Husky Football & Basketball on WTIC (a MUST listen in my household). As a Southington resident, watched Vinnie Clements High School career & scholarship to Storrs. But what cemented my applying to UConn was a college fair during my Junior Year at St. Paul High School. All of the out of State institutions had tables & representatives in the school gymnasium. Some in-State schools had representatives give presentations in classrooms. UCONN was different. An advance notice was made to the Student Body that the representative would give a presentation in the school Auditorium (700 seating capacity) at a certain time using overhead projector visual aids. At the appointed time, the representative from the Admissions Department opened with the words "Welcome to YOUR State University!" From that moment, UCONN was my first choice.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I went to WestConn following my girlfriend at the time who was a year ahead. I only applied there and ECSU because my mom told me I better have a backup plan. After fall semester of my sophomore they decided that I was so super rich I didn’t need the financial aid I was getting any more. Finished my undergrad at ECSU. By the end of sophomore year my girlfriend decided having a boyfriend you couldn’t spend very second of every day with was no fun and we broke up.

soooooo yeah, I would have either gone to ECSU straight away or actually applied to UConn.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I went to WestConn following my girlfriend at the time who was a year ahead. I only applied there and ECSU because my mom told me I better have a backup plan. After fall semester of my sophomore they decided that I was so super rich I didn’t need the financial aid I was getting any more. Finished my undergrad at ECSU. By the end of sophomore year my girlfriend decided having a boyfriend you couldn’t spend very second of every day with was no fun and we broke up.

soooooo yeah, I would have either gone to ECSU straight away or actually applied to UConn.
A personal pronoun agrees with the noun it replaces; your mom decided you didnt need financial aid?

If you did it all again, definitely more time studying grammar and less time studying booty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom