If UConn pros replicated the Nova Knicks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If UConn pros replicated the Nova Knicks

Reaction Score
Majority of people in the L.A. area are USC fans, even though UCLA is often better in the major sports. I lived in Brentwood and it was hard to find a Bruins fan.
I'm surprised at that. UCLA is a public school and USC is a private school. UCLA also has about 65% more undergraduates than USC.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm surprised at that. UCLA is a public school and USC is a private school. UCLA also has about 65% more undergraduates than USC.

I'm also surprised by his anecdotal reporting. Brentwood's one of LA's richer neighborhoods, so that might explain his experience.

Reaction Score
Every hoops fan is biased. I don’t mind listening to differing opinions. They did a state of the program thing recently of the huskies, and, by their metrics, everything was graded fairly - but it seemed they realized the methodology wouldn’t encapsulate where UConn is at. So, they added a bunch of extra credit points.

Also, they certainly acknowledge “the Hurley bump” - meaning a team that doesn’t look as good on paper to them, is better than what they see.
Yeah, sure they still suck. Thing is this team forced them to bend the knee.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I'm also surprised by his anecdotal reporting. Brentwood's one of LA's richer neighborhoods, so that might explain his experience.
That's kinda interesting. I went to UCLA for grad school many years ago and lived in Brentwood, which is directly adjacent to Westwood. Most of my classmates also lived in Brentwood.

pj

Reaction Score
I used to live in southern California and always took USC to be the down-market middle class school and UCLA the tonier upper class school. I wouldn't think USC is more popular, but it has a different appeal.

Reaction Score
Yeah. And I stuck out like a sore thumb.
Like most LA people, though I bounced around- west Hollywood for 8 years, Venice for 3,...

It's totally anecdotal, no stat to back it up, except blowing my pay at sports bars all over the city and being surrounded by Trojan fans at every turn. Even sports talk radio leaned heavy SC.

Reaction Score
If you're a Celtics fan and you run up against, let's say a Bull's team with Sanogo, Hawkins and Newton... you're not gonna root for the Bulls?
I have developed a skill where I can root for certain players and not their teams.

Reaction Score
jay wright said philly fans dont like nova, so they would have definitley been rooting against the knicks. was a surprise to me but maybe they prefer the blue collar St Joes and Temple.
That is not true at all! I have lived in the Philly area since i graduated from UCONN in 93. Philly is not a huge basketball city overall but the area totally supports Nova basketball and more so then the 76ers.

Reaction Score
That is not true at all! I have lived in the Philly area since i graduated from UCONN in 93. Philly is not a huge basketball city overall but the area totally supports Nova basketball and more so then the 76ers.
Interesting. I always thought Philadelphia was a big city that was really into their sports in the same way New York, Boston, Washington, Cleveland, and Chicago would be.

I know for Philadelphia fans they would be most satisfied with the Eagles winning a Super Bowl more than any of their other teams winning a championship in their respective sports. But I always thought on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being extremely satisfied, the Eagles winning it would be a 10 and the Phillies, 76ers, Flyers, and Nova winning it their championships would be a 9. That's basically how it is here in Boston with the Red Sox being #1, but the Celtics, Bruins, and Patriots being a 9 (no college team here)

Are those other teams besides the Eagles winning it all less than a 9?

Reaction Score
You have to get lucky as NBA player to even get a chance to play if you are not one on the hyped high school or foreign superstars.

donte divincenzo toiled for many years before an injury this year finally gave a chance for meaningful Pt.
DiVincenzo averaged 24 minutes a game in his career before this year, and played 20+ every year after his rookie year. He wasn't toiling anywhere

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
That is not true at all! I have lived in the Philly area since i graduated from UCONN in 93. Philly is not a huge basketball city overall but the area totally supports Nova basketball and more so than the 76ers.
I haven’t been here that long but while they do support Nova, hardcore Philly folks seem to identify more with the grittiness (hence the oddball mascot of the Flyers) of St Joes and Temple bc they’re much closer to the heart of the city.

Nova is a wine and cheese school where they drink their lattes with pinkys out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom