If UConn is in a quiet period with the Big Ten, time to put the heads back on the chickens | The Boneyard

If UConn is in a quiet period with the Big Ten, time to put the heads back on the chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All this doom and gloom based on fog of war type informatiin is mind boggling.

Truths and half truths and lies get jumbled together.

UConn's athletic department budget is the highest by $20m of any school not in a power 5 conference. Even of those schools in the power conferences, and in spite of uconn receiving no appreciable big east tv recpvenue while others receive $15-$25m, uconn still outranks 25 schools.

the only fbs schools with a higher academic ranking not in an fbs conference are Rice and Tulane. Rice is a tiny school. Tulane is, well tulane. and has been for 30 years. the same buzz we heard uconn make athletically in the late 90's is the same buzz being made in academic circles today.

uconn is in one of the most densely populated areas of the country. it captures nyc based on its brand more than and at worst equal to rutgers, especially when you factor in bb. uconn captures its primary market, the state of connecticut equal to the fervor of many sec schools. while sec schools captive market is based largely on football, uconn's captive market is spread across fb, men's bb, and women's bb.

uconn's htd-nh dma is #30, with 700,000 households. sw ct, nyc, hudson river valley is not included in that figure. that is hard, quantifiable captive audience numbers. based on that alone, uconn would bring value, but that value is magnified by the penetration into nyc.

the fallacy in a lot of the doom and gloomers is that football drives the bus. it does for certain conferences and their network partners. but it doesn't for the big ten model. the big ten cares about enough quality content that cable companies are prodded into carrying the btn. that business model is predicated on extracting most of the revenue from footprint states. so while fb is king in the sec, a fan calling up to ask to watch a girl's bb game and demand it be carried is the same in the eyes of the cable company. that fan is a subscriber.

additionally, in spite of what you may think, the ncaa tourney is more valuable than the entire new payoff/bowl system. the ncaa tourney is valued at $1b. the playoff/bcs, even adding in contract bowls, earns far less than $1b. the difference is that the ncaa keeps the money.

delany doesn't like that. gordon gee has already said it- that money's gonna come back, the only question is when. the ultimate goal is to have fewer conferences sharing mire dollars. the same model used in the fb playoff distribution. it is an evolutionary process. but it is difficult not to see that it is an inevitable one.

which gets me back to my premise- nothing has changed for uconn if you look only at the big picture. uconn's good fortune to come isn't so much a function of uconn's attributes, per se; rather it stems from a decision by delany to abandon the nebraska model once the btn's actual implementation was able to be analyzed. and uconn fits that model in so many ways to sunday.

it is the logical next step of the btn.
and you don't have to traipse around with tin foil wrapped around your head to see something truly odd with the statements and public information coming out of uconn. those statements are not in accord with what any viewer would expect, unless those statements are dictated by uconn's interest ny the big 10.

And before anyone says, well mcmurphy says we're screwed, the catholic presidents said x, tell me who knew in mid november that the big ten was poised to expand? did mcmurphy? his sources are the catholics/big east. delan learned in 2010. he put the hammer down. there will be no loose lips.

by the way, like a crazy man waving his arms in traffic, i still am waiting for two things:

any public mention of the acc by uconn, including lobbying, after the md add, and before the monday invite of louisville. the only quotes implicating uconn's efforts in the acc is a quote by jacobs that manuel worked his "hump off" that came from someone that knew what manuel was doing. that someone is unknown. we have no facts, no emails, no sources said pres x, which starkly stands in contrast with cincy and louisville. by the way, manuel didn't work his hump off. he went unexpectedly early to the usvi to watch uconn play new mexico in the finals and stayed thru the girls tourney. and yes, pres herbst was there, seen frolicking daily at the beach. if everyone says uconn was the next logical add to the acc, and uconn doesn't get added, ipso facto uconn lobbied. what has happened is that assumptions have become facts, and have been repeated by enough people until they are hardened truths.

second, the narrative that the catholics were angry at how cincy and uconn acted after louisville was added. show me any statement, sourced or unsourced from uconn, that proves that narrative. exactly what has uconn said since louisville left? a banal statement not mentioning anything by manuel. a statement by herbst re reseaerch. manuel at the img conference saying nothing, except be basketball brand is strong, nothing by herbst at the img forum she skipped out on, nothing by manuel in two separate radio interviews.

uss ct is wrapped loud and proud in tinfoil, and is going full speed ahead.y

Reaction Score
I love your optimism, but I think it is misplaced. The quiet from our leaders is due to their desire not to be connected to failure. The Courant article saying that UConn never could have beaten Louisville to replace Maryland for the ACC was cover for UConn's leaders to point out that the reason UConn did not get an ACC invite has nothing to do with them.

It's a tough time to be a UConn fan as this is the rock bottom.

Reaction Score
by the way, like a crazy man waving his arms in traffic, i still am waiting for two things:

any public mention of the acc by uconn, including lobbying, after the md add, and before the monday invite of louisville. the only quotes implicating uconn's efforts in the acc is a quote by jacobs that manuel worked his "hump off" that came from someone that knew what manuel was doing. that someone is unknown. we have no facts, no emails, no sources said pres x, which starkly stands in contrast with cincy and louisville. by the way, manuel didn't work his hump off. he went unexpectedly early to the usvi to watch uconn play new mexico in the finals and stayed thru the girls tourney. and yes, pres herbst was there, seen frolicking daily at the beach. if everyone says uconn was the next logical add to the acc, and uconn doesn't get added, ipso facto uconn lobbied. what has happened is that assumptions have become facts, and have been repeated by enough people until they are hardened truths.

You could make a request under the Freedom of Information Act and see if you get anything.

http://www.ct.gov/foi/site/default.asp

Reaction Score
on foia, herbst learned. foia is easily defeated if one knows a communication might be requested. based on md, at this time, if uconn was in a quiet period, three or four people would know-herbst, mchugh, malloy, manuel.

malloy is a politician. any quotes from him? has there ever been a politician that hasn't looked at a microphone like a mr. softee?

caw

Reaction Score
on foia, herbst learned. foia is easily defeated if one knows a communication might be requested. based on md, at this time, if uconn was in a quiet period, three or four people would know-herbst, mchugh, malloy, manuel.

malloy is a politician. any quotes from him? has there ever been a politician that hasn't looked at a microphone like a mr. softee?

The quiet from UConn is quite understandable. I do agree it's odd not to have any politician speak about it. When a lot of the other moves happened there was at least some commentary. Did I miss it when UL left?

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs@jacobscourant
UConn athletic department had no idea about the Big East Catholic school meeting Sunday until it found out like the rest of us.

caw

Reaction Score
UConn athletic department had no idea about the Big East Catholic school meeting Sunday until it found out like the rest of us.

Fantastic news!!! (sarcasm off)

Manuel isn't even monitoring properly anymore, WTH...

Reaction Score
i wouldn't expect the athletic department to know of the purportedly secretive meetings of the catholics, any more than i would expect the catholic schools' athletic departmens to know of (if any) meetings/communications between pres herbst and delany.

Reaction Score

Does this surprise anyone? Manuel was not connected in the BE, so he would never have been given the heads up from any of the other ADs.

Reaction Score
Fantastic news!!! (sarcasm off)

Manuel isn't even monitoring properly anymore, WTH...

Considering UCONN is one of the reasons why they are bailing, why would they let WM know? I mean one of their biggest concerns is UCONN constantly wanting to get out. I am not surprised at all that they gave us no notice. It seems most of this realignment stuff are done in secret.

BTW, I agree with the OP. I refuse to believe an athletic department size of UCONN sitting in one of the best TV markets out there will be left behind.

caw

Reaction Score
Considering UCONN is one of the reasons why they are bailing, why would they let WM know? I mean one of their biggest concerns is UCONN constantly wanting to get out. I am not surprised at all that they gave us no notice. It seems most of this realignment stuff are done in secret.

BTW, I agree with the OP. I refuse to believe an athletic department size of UCONN sitting in one of the best TV markets out there will be left behind.

I could have sworn the commissioner of the league was at the meeting on Sunday.

Reaction Score
Remember the first ACC raid, CT politicians were screaming murder and throwing lawsuits left and right, which in retrospect was not the smart thing to do. Thus, I am suspirsed that CT politicians have been dead quite all throughout this next step in the alignment process. Do they care? Are they clueless? Has CT’s budget issues given them tunnel vision (can’t blame them if that is true)? Do they know something we do not?

Reaction Score
The silence by malloy is by design. Either you believe that he is being silent because of the attention he drew from the press when pitt and syracuse were invited, or he is quiet because he doesn't want to upset any plans. I would be more worried if he was banging the public drum.

And just to show how lazy- intellectually and workman like- and bad journalists are, here is a quote from a dennis dodds cbs story:

"No doubt Cincinnati and UConn are trying to stay with their seven Catholic basketball brethren, but will they get an invite? It is now known publicly those schools' administrations would jump at the first chance to go to the ACC"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ig-east-football-schools-facing-big-questions
Again, where is this public bullcrap coming from. I'm the public, and i'm still waitung for any uconn public statement or words from its representatives that says what dodds says.

IT JUST ISN'T THERE. THERE HAS BEEN NO PUBLIC STATEMENT.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

We shouldn't be. There is no rational basis for it. It makes no sense whatsoever. But the fear I have is that because we have been left out, we will lose the few things in our favor. Hoops will suffer, football will become even worse, attendance will drop, applications will drop...as our acceptance rate rises, making our USNEWS rating drop. Everything suggests that we should be in with the in-crowd, but that doesn't change the fact that we are not.

Reaction Score
We shouldn't be. There is no rational basis for it. It makes no sense whatsoever. But the fear I have is that because we have been left out, we will lose the few things in our favor. Hoops will suffer, football will become even worse, attendance will drop, applications will drop...as our acceptance rate rises, making our USNEWS rating drop. Everything suggests that we should be in with the in-crowd, but that doesn't change the fact that we are not.
My thoughts exactly. I want to believe that we're currently in talks with some major conference, but until then, there's not much but doom and gloom on the horizons.

Reaction Score
Who finds it ironic that one of UConn’s previously forgotten about athletic prorgams, men’s and women’s hockey, is now the most stable program in Storrs with an invite to the premier hockey conference, Hockey East, in the land and no known alignment issues. If UConn hoops collapses in a few years due to seasons of playing UCF, SMU, and Tulane, at the XL Center with just the pep band attending, they should just bulldoze Gampel and build a 12,000 seat on-campus ice rink instead. Just call us u(B)Conn. Please note sarcasm.

Reaction Score
More grist for the Big Ten mill, courtesy of the 538 blog guy. This just shows how dominant UConn's bb program is. I understand that football is king. But the Big Ten picked an athletic olympic sports weakling in Rutgers. To combat this, especially in the basketball-focused NYC area, the Big Ten without UConn doesn't have a basketball power. Rutgers and Penn State are horrible, Maryland average. The Big Ten will need that winter/spring content to keep the cable systems from using the argument that while "its customers in the NYC area may want to see four months of football, the other 8 are dead. Why should we make them pay for 8 months of nothing?"

fivethirtyeight-1214-bigeast1-tmagSF.png

Reaction Score
I see the SEC can use us in basketball. Let's give them a shot.

Reaction Score
Well, I did formally withdraw us from the BE back on November 27th to join the B1G...

(see 1st post of the B1G thread)

Plus, HFD has had the fleet circling Boston Hahbah for the past week...

I guess word was bound to leak out sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom