If UConn Fails to Hire Joe Moorhead, Would Todd Orlando be Your Next Choice? | The Boneyard

If UConn Fails to Hire Joe Moorhead, Would Todd Orlando be Your Next Choice?

If UConn Fails to Hire Joe Moorhead, Would Todd Orlando be Your Next Choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Since we have a super majority in favor of Moorhead, yet most recognize the challenge in hiring him, is Todd Orlando your next choice? I sort of waver between YES and UNDECIDED, but I voted Yes in the end.

Reaction Score
I'm undecided at this point, but in all honesty Orlando has some decent credentials for our program ... He's been places since he left here... much much bigger places.. so, he may have a decent understanding on how to build this thing (and stay, not move on).. It really makes sense, even if he's never been a HC...

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Voted NO for 2 reasons.
No HC experience. I feel this is critical. I need to see that they have the ability to lead a program. That really is qualification #1 for me. I want some level of comfort that the HC knows what he's doing and what is required of being a HC and being responsible for the entire program.
If UConn was to ignore my rule #1, I would prefer an OC vs a DC. I have DC as HC PTSD. I need a break and want a coach who's first thought is to score and be aggressive, not defend and play cautiously.

Reaction Score
Hard to say without knowing who the other candidates might be. In any event, Orlando would be great hire also.

Reaction Score
Not a yes or no question. As fans, give us two choices of people with head coaching experience and we can make rational comparisons. Once you start dealing with folks who have never been head coaches, all fans can tell is qualified or not qualified. Is Todd Orlando qualified to be a head coach at our level by virtue of his work here and as a DC at bigger schools. Absolutely. But so are scores of others. When looking at assistant coaches who are qualified, you can't make the decision from a resume. You're looking for someone to achieve at a level they've never had. You have to rely on their interview. Do they have the right personality? Does their plan make sense? Does their plan fit with the benefits and limitations of the job? None of us can even have a rational view on that.

So would part of me be happy if a qualified candidate who was part of our successful run came back? Absolutely. But do I know he's the right man for the job? No. None of us know that he is or he isn't.

(However, the fact that someone wants the head coach to be from the offensive side of the ball seems silly to me. I don't want my head coach being coordinator on either side of the ball. I want a good OC who can run an offense, and I have no doubt if we had that guy Todd Orlando is smart enough to let him do his thing.)

Reaction Score
Undecided. Also a known name but not like JM. Depends on staff he can attract and recruiting capabilities.

Reaction Score
Yes
Todd would be a great hire for us. He is a very sharp guy. Knows how to build strong defenses from what he’s got. I’m positive that our defense would drastically improve his first year here. He kows how to develop players. Is a solid recruiter. Knows our program. Think that he would put together a great staff of both coaches who can develop the talent that UConn has and coaches who can go out and get us better caliber players. Chances are he would be able to bring a couple of transfers with him from USC. He already has the support of former players. He’s been around the block since he left UCONN, my guess is that he would have some good picks for an OC. It seems like he wants to be here. Could be a coach that would stick it out long term here which could be nice. I love the idea of hiring Todd

Reaction Score
If we're not getting Moorhead and Herman shows no interest, then Cignetti or Entz should be the next on the list. Followed Sean Lewis and Harasymiak.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Yes
Todd would be a great hire for us. He is a very sharp guy. Knows how to build strong defenses from what he’s got. I’m positive that our defense would drastically improve his first year here. He kows how to develop players. Is a solid recruiter. Knows our program. Think that he would put together a great staff of both coaches who can develop the talent that UConn has and coaches who can go out and get us better caliber players. Chances are he would be able to bring a couple of transfers with him from USC. He already has the support of former players. He’s been around the block since he left UCONN, my guess is that he would have some good picks for an OC. It seems like he wants to be here. Could be a coach that would stick it out long term here which could be nice. I love the idea of hiring Todd
Agree, i think the recruiting would be excellent .

Reaction Score
I'm very curious as to why so many people believe that our next hire needs to be someone who once worked here.
I don't think many believe that.. It's simply a possibility to speculate on... If it happens it happens if it doesn't it just doesn't... As long as we get a guy that can grow this program

Reaction Score
As BL touched upon, what we don't know is whether Todd O has the requisite traits of leadership and media/public relations skills required of a successful HC today--especially at a venue where fan and booster engagement are so critically tied not only to team performance but to the salesmanship of the new regime. Player recruitment is job 1. What we know (or can assume) is that TO has worked for several head coaches at major programs with impressive and committed football programs. He's observed enough OC's and their systems to attract an innovative one-- as well as other assistants who stood out. He's also observed and engaged with players from programs around the country who just might be willing to get aboard the portal train to UConn. Whoever is the next UConn HC needs to have what I call the "Tom Brady effect" on those he reaches out to--- convincing recruits to play for him and great assistants to want to come to UConn to coach with him--not just for the $$. Like Brady did in Tampa, for this move to meet what I think is the existential moment for football at UConn, our new HC has to dramatically change both the culture and perception of what football can look like at UConn and throughout the State. It's a tall task but I think that guy is out there. I hope I'm not delusional.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not putting such restrictions on AD Dave. Find a guy who he thinks will work as if his job depended on it. Cause, it does.

Reaction Score
Not a yes or no question. As fans, give us two choices of people with head coaching experience and we can make rational comparisons. Once you start dealing with folks who have never been head coaches, all fans can tell is qualified or not qualified. Is Todd Orlando qualified to be a head coach at our level by virtue of his work here and as a DC at bigger schools. Absolutely. But so are scores of others. When looking at assistant coaches who are qualified, you can't make the decision from a resume. You're looking for someone to achieve at a level they've never had. You have to rely on their interview. Do they have the right personality? Does their plan make sense? Does their plan fit with the benefits and limitations of the job? None of us can even have a rational view on that.

So would part of me be happy if a qualified candidate who was part of our successful run came back? Absolutely. But do I know he's the right man for the job? No. None of us know that he is or he isn't.

(However, the fact that someone wants the head coach to be from the offensive side of the ball seems silly to me. I don't want my head coach being coordinator on either side of the ball. I want a good OC who can run an offense, and I have no doubt if we had that guy Todd Orlando is smart enough to let him do his thing.)
Can read your posts all day bud.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As BL touched upon, what we don't know is whether Todd O has the requisite traits of leadership and media/public relations skills required of a successful HC today--especially at a venue where fan and booster engagement are so critically tied not only to team performance but to the salesmanship of the new regime. Player recruitment is job 1. What we know (or can assume) is that TO has worked for several head coaches at major programs with impressive and committed football programs. He's observed enough OC's and their systems to attract an innovative one-- as well as other assistants who stood out. He's also observed and engaged with players from programs around the country who just might be willing to get aboard the portal train to UConn. Whoever is the next UConn HC needs to have what I call the "Tom Brady effect" on those he reaches out to--- convincing recruits to play for him and great assistants to want to come to UConn to coach with him--not just for the $$. Like Brady did in Tampa, for this move to meet what I think is the existential moment for football at UConn, our new HC has to dramatically change both the culture and perception of what football can look like at UConn and throughout the State. It's a tall task but I think that guy is out there. I hope I'm not delusional.

Correct. And first thing I would do if I were DB was work back channels in his AD rolodex and talk to other AD's who have interviewed or reviewed Orlando's background and ask why they didn't hire him.

Orlando has a strong enough coaching resume where he could have gotten a G5 or other FBS/FCS HC job if he wanted it. Maybe up to this point all he's wanted to do was be a coordinator.

But there is always risk being the first person to hire a coach in to their first head coaching gig. As you said there have been plenty of good OC and DC whose character and coaching flaws weren't exposed until they got the HC job.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know if either Joe or Todd would even be interested in sorting out this mess. They are well aware of the challenges to be faced here. As to having HC experience I'm unsure.
Randy 1.0 no HC experience had success.
Bob no HC experience failed miserably.
Paul previous HC experience failed miserably.
Randy 2.0 previous HC experience failed miserably.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know if either Joe or Todd would even be interested in sorting out this mess. They are well aware of the challenges to be faced here. As to having HC experience I'm unsure.
Randy 1.0 no HC experience had success.
Bob no HC experience failed miserably.
Paul previous HC experience failed miserably.
Randy 2.0 previous HC experience failed miserably.
Paul did a great job bringing in some great talent and had some pretty good defenses in 2011 and 2012 with Don Brown here that time. His issue was being so loyal to George that it costed him. Trying to force something to work that wasn’t working.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
You have to have a little doubt just due to our recent history. We've had good OCs who were handcuffed for reasons beyond our comprehension. You'd think any coach would be smart enough to let a good OC do his thing, but it's unfortunately not always the case.
I guess I'm the silly guy in this scenario. If I was given a choice of a good OC or good DC, all things being as equal as they can be, I'd pick the OC.

Reaction Score
You have to have a little doubt just due to our recent history. We've had good OCs who were handcuffed for reasons beyond our comprehension. You'd think any coach would be smart enough to let a good OC do his thing, but it's unfortunately not always the case.
I guess I'm the silly guy in this scenario. If I was given a choice of a good OC or good DC, all things being as equal as they can be, I'd pick the OC.

1. You are entitled to your opinion.
2. With the single exception of telling Lashlee he couldn't run a hurry up offense with as horrific a defense as we had behind it (which, by the way, I think was absolutely rational), I'm not at all convinced this urban legend that Edsall handcuffed his OCs is at all true. When we had Orlovsky, we threw 50% of the time. When our QBs were mediocre, which has been at almost all times since, we don't throw as much. Since college football went pass happy, with the exception of Cochrane for 4 games, we've never looked like we had the parts to run a spread offense. And, since the Edsall I regime left, we haven't had a good OC who deserved to be left alone other than Lashlee.

Reaction Score

Sorry that the wording is not quite to your liking, but the rationale was as follows. From comments here it seemed likely that JM was the clear consensus favorite. So the first question was worded to confirm that impression ... or not confirm it. We got a clear answer.

But the likelihood of UConn being able to hire JM was, shall we say, not at all clear. There may be a pathway, or there may not be.

In light of that situation, and given the importance that most posters here place upon knowing the particular challenges UConn faces in the northeast, and seeing that TO actually may be under consideration (yes, speculation and not confirmed, but ...) I worded this one as TO against the field to suss out how strong the sentiment is in his favor. Turns out, not strong. This was never a JM vs. TO comparison.

Turns out these two polls gave us some pretty interesting results. From the comments expressed, it seems that head coaching experience is valued more highly than knowing the unique challenges. And that TO does not enjoy a whole lot of support from the BY'ers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom