If these predictions actually came true... | The Boneyard

If these predictions actually came true...

Reaction Score
With the pace of change in college sports, what do we think the landscape would look like if these 2 future possible outcomes actually happened:

1) A March Madness of only P5 schools

And/or

2) A 2 mega conference landscape.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would certainly ruin my favorite long weekend of the year.

I don’t mind it happening in football. Have a group of 20 branch off into a premier league and let everyone else go back to regionality. For hoops, this would basically destroy March Madness. So it will probably happen.

Reaction Score
It would certainly ruin my favorite long weekend of the year.

I don’t mind it happening in football. Have a group of 20 branch off into a premier league and let everyone else go back to regionality. For hoops, this would basically destroy March Madness. So it will probably happen.
I parrot the premier league thing for football. It's basically the bowl game system but in regular season format.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
1) it would draw significantly less interest but would make enough money (P4/5 schools only get 15% of the $1 billion the NCAA tournament bring in) to make it worth it to those greedy leagues.*

2) if this is football only good. We need to separate the football schools into a new football only division.

*I don’t think the new NCAA tournament would exclude everyone. My guess is it would be 1 team from like 16 mid majors (possibly could mean big east) and then the top 48 P4 schools from their group of 70ish schools. I see this as a likely end game. The money they can make controlling their own tournament, just like they do with the CFP, will be too tantalizing to pass on swiping at.

Reaction Score
Not as many ppl will care to tune in. Part of the magic of march madness is watching the upsets. If your school isn't involved, you probably won't watch.
Even if true, they will get a boatload of TV money and be able to split 100% of it...not letting the NCAA keep 85%. 100% of 500M is a lot better than 15% of 1B...Tv folks are happy they pay less and schools are happy they get more...the loser are the fans, but we don't matter

Reaction Score
The whole idea of March Madness is that literally any of approx 350 D1 BB team can win the National Championship....win your conference tournament and your in the bracket and then anything can happen. If you kill that I think alot of people won't watch.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don't think the big schools want to kill off March Madness. They just want a much larger share of the financial pie.

Reaction Score
I don't think either happens, but I also think the supposed loss of interest is overrated. As a hardcore basketball fan I love watching the Cinderella stories and mid majors make deep runs, but I'm not convinced it actually brings in more viewers to the games

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I don't think either happens, but I also think the supposed loss of interest is overrated. As a hardcore basketball fan I love watching the Cinderella stories and mid majors make deep runs, but I'm not convinced it actually brings in more viewers to the games
It does in the first two to three rounds. Once you get to the Final Four, it is a bad thing to have Cinderella still standing.

Reaction Score
Ehhh...I think Cinderella mid-majors keep the non-hardcore fans interested. Also if your team is knocked out early in the tourney the Cinderella's keep the interest going. The years when UConn not in or out early I always watched the first 4 days of tourney with great interest, but after that if no UConn or Cinderella around my interest really dropped and I consider myself a hardcore fan.

March Madness is perfect you don't mess with it....just like you don't do re-makes of The Godfather.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ehhh...I think Cinderella mid-majors keep the non-hardcore fans interested. Also if your team is knocked out early in the tourney the Cinderella's keep the interest going. The years when UConn not in or out early I always watched the first 4 days of tourney with great intetest, but after that if no Cinderalla around my interest really dropped and I consider myself a hard core fan.

March Madness is perfect you don't mess with it. You don't do re-makes of The Godfather.
If that's the case then I have to be honest, I don't think you're as hardcore of a fan as you claim if the only thing keeping you invested in March Madness is if Fairleigh Dickinson or Saint Peter's is making a deep run

Reaction Score
Ehhh...I think Cinderella mid-majors keep the non-hardcore fans interested.
People love an underdog whether they’re mid-major or not. As long as they don’t massively shrink the field, people will still love talking about when the 60th best team beats the 1 seed. People always root for the underdog in the CFP playoff and that ends up being like #5 in the country half the time.

If the underdog happens to be a team that already has a big following like Nebraska (currently Kenpom 62) or Miami (Kenpom 53) I have a hard time believing it’d negatively impact viewership too much.

Reaction Score

I’d be curious in other people’s opinions and I’m surprised by yours as I regularly agree with you. Very possibly I’m in the wrong but imo the first weekend is what makes March Madness and the rest of the tournament is for us junkies.

Reaction Score
People love an underdog whether they’re mid-major or not. As long as they don’t massively shrink the field, people will still love talking about when the 60th best team beats the 1 seed. People always root for the underdog in the CFP playoff and that ends up being like #5 in the country half the time.

If the underdog happens to be a team that already has a big following like Nebraska (currently Kenpom 62) or Miami (Kenpom 53) I have a hard time believing it’d negatively impact viewership too much.
It's a good point but I'm not so sure it's 100% comparable. Most casual march madness bracketeers wouldn't know that Nebraska doesn't have a traditionally good basketball program, but the university is well known, so it probably won't have the Loyola Chicago effect If the Huskers went to the E8.
There were a few big name P5 schools who were bubble teams or played in the play in game and went deep in the tourney. We didn't call them Cinderellas. It doesn't have the same feel.

Reaction Score
It's a good point but I'm not so sure it's true. Most casual march madness bracketeers wouldn't know that Nebraska doesn't have a traditionally good basketball program but the university is well known, so it probably won't have the Loyola Chicago effect.
There were a few big name P5 schools who went far and played in the play in game. We didn't call them Cinderellas. It doesn't have the same feel.
Loyola's final 4 game had like 10% less viewers than the final 4 from the previous year. We remember the Cinderellas but we don't watch them.

In fact, the Chicago Tribune wrote an entire article afterwards about how TV networks hate cinderellas and always root for bigger schools because otherwise it tanks their ratings.

Reaction Score
I’d be curious in other people’s opinions and I’m surprised by yours as I regularly agree with you. Very possibly I’m in the wrong but imo the first weekend is what makes March Madness and the rest of the tournament is for us junkies.
I could be completely off base here, and to be clear I don't want to see an all P6 tournament or anything. I'm just not sure if swapping out the Cinderella's for bottom tier P6 teams will turn that many people away. Feel like the draw is 4 straight days of non-stop high level basketball games, and you'd still have that

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FB would drive this, but BB would follpw eventually. Money will dictate, political alliances be some factor.

If the P2 format means more big games, then that's what will happen.

If too many teams eith enough cache feel left out they will go in another direction.

A promotion/relegation model would mean huge money, a lot of very meaning full region games and give the big money programs enough of an advantage to allow it to happen. But first, it would require an act of Congress to flush all the disparate conferancd and corporate contractual relationships/NCAA rules to make a fresh start.

A top division of 24 teams with a second division of 24-48 teams would work depending how you sort the second division. I think 24 in two divisions with the top team in each division plus a playoff of the next two in each division getting promoted and the bottom team in each division and the playoff loser of the next two worst teams being relegated.

That takes care of 48 of the 130 or so D1 programs, the rest would be sorted into regional groupings with 3 of those teams moving into the 2nd division via some playoff system. You could add regional sub tiers and the number of teams participating increases.

This is equivalent to the English Football pyramind system. Your Yankee and Ivy Conference equivalents feed into a Big East level league with the winners joining the national 2nd division and the winners of that division promoted to the top national division.

In an alternate version of history. The 2007 UConn teams likely makes the 2nd national and assuming they stay up, the 2010 squad gets promoted to the big time before PP and his successors tumble the program back to the Yankee league by 2015.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I could be completely off base here, and to be clear I don't want to see an all P6 tournament or anything. I'm just not sure if swapping out the Cinderella's for bottom tier P6 teams will turn that many people away. Feel like the draw is 4 straight days of non-stop high level basketball games, and you'd still have that
It will for the first weekend. March Madness has an excellent format for TV viewership. The Cinderellas make things interesting for the Round of 64 and Round of 32 and sometimes the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Usually by the time you get to the Elite 8, there are either no or one Cinderella left to duke it out with the big boys (who get better ratings).

Reaction Score
Loyola's final 4 game had like 10% less viewers than the final 4 from the previous year. We remember the Cinderellas but we don't watch them.

In fact, the Chicago Tribune wrote an entire article afterwards about how TV networks hate cinderellas and always root for bigger schools because otherwise it tanks their ratings.
This is true. And it's a strange phenomenon. It definitely seems that the cinderellas get more love in the early rounds but lose sparkle in the later rounds (i.e. FAU last year). I wonder if it's because of busted brackets: I'd say the first weekend gets more eyes because everyone's brackets are still alive, if a mid major makes it to the final four, it might mean that many brackets are done and only the hard-core fans of bball are still watching.

Reaction Score
If that's the case then I have to be honest, I don't think you're as hardcore of a fan as you claim if the only thing keeping you invested in March Madness is if Fairleigh Dickinson or Saint Peter's is making a deep run
Ha...ok if you say I guess I'm not hardcore. March Madness with just "power" schools would not be March Madness imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This may be true once you get to the final 4 but you want the Cinderella's in the Tourney.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
It does in the first two to three rounds. Once you get to the Final Four, it is a bad thing to have Cinderella still standing.
I think he's right. People tune in to the early rounds to watch the tournament. I doubt that fewer people would watch if the matchups were more competitive. If a Cinderalla makes a run, that may be a different story.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
UConn basketball - regardless of league or tournament - will be fine. Football on the other hand…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom