If the tournament was started over today, how different do you think the results would be? | The Boneyard

If the tournament was started over today, how different do you think the results would be?

Reaction Score
If they replayed the tournament starting today, how different do you think the results would be? I'll hold my opinion for a bit.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of course the tournament would have been different. Just one example is that Charleston was one of the upset darlings heading into the tournament, and was tied with SDSU with 3 and a half minutes left in the game. Charleston got bounced and SDSU is in the Final Four. One play goes differently and the entire bracket is different.

That is why they play the games.

Reaction Score
Basketball is a more sophisticated form of rock, paper , scissors so how who you plays matters.
I thought we matched up very well will the hight seeds . Frankly I would rather be playing an alleged power team than a small quick Miami or a Rock Fighting San Diego team
The former has the ability to get to the FT line while the latter gets you into a game in the 50’s we’re anything can happen in the last minutes . I didn’t see FAU play so I’m not disrespecting them. But apparently they dominated at very good CUSA this year so they’re obviously very good . If they’re able to get SDSU into the 70’s and win that will be impressive.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If they replayed the tournament starting today, how different do you think the results would be? I'll hold my opinion for a bit.

FAU wouldve been out in round of 32 via Purdue who would not have lost to FDU.

Everything else to get to this point is repeatable, that one is not.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
FAU wouldve been out in round of 32 via Purdue who would not have lost to FDU.

Everything else to get to this point is repeatable, that one is not.
You don't think Drake would have sunk the open three to tie the game with ~ one minute left, leading to our matchup tomorrow being against Texss, not Miami?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You don't think Drake would have sunk the open three to tie the game with ~ one minute left, leading to our matchup tomorrow being against Texss, not Miami?
no

Reaction Score
Who Cares GIF by Judge Judy

We have more important things to think about right now!!

Reaction Score
Obviously, UConn is in the final four but the 3 other teams are different.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I watched that game last night and I hope to hell that our coaching staff didn't. The only takeaway was that neither team looked good enough to warrant advancing.

I'm guessing Miami was playing possum (although it could have bitten them) as Drake appeared to have no athleticism yet there were a number of (not very) fast breaks where Draked ended up with three on twos and four on threes on offense, leading to a good amount of scoring.

Reaction Score
Only result which I am confident would remain the same is UConn would still be playing the second game tomorrow night - we have thus far been dominant and none of the teams against which we would have potentially played would have had any more success than the teams we beat.

Reaction Score
The reason that I asked is that I see people talking about how the results of this tournament prove how mid major schools are getting the shaft with the tournament. Stuff like, see, teams like FSU are just as good, etc.

I don't think the results of the tournament prove much of anything. Everyone knew that this year there was no dominant team and that the tournament was wide open. That has certainly been the case. On any given night, a great team can be upset by a lesser team. Whether one shot goes in or not affects matchups and later outcomes. The experts can't predict this tournament. I love it. It's the best sporting event of the year IMO, bar none. Now I just hope the better team wins on Saturday and Monday!

Reaction Score
completely different except UConn would still be in the FF. we woulda beaten KU or UCLA just like we beat Ark and Gonzaga.
If UConn spanked the team that beat Kansas they'd beat Kansas. That's how the transitive property works, right?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Obviously, UConn is in the final four but the 3 other teams are different.

I think San Diego State and Miami could do that again. They earned their spots, They are both 5 seeds and conference winners. Anyone 5 seed or above isn't a cinderella story it's a contender.

FAU earned their spot as well, played great all season, played great all tourney obviously. But if Purdue doesnt pull an only 2nd time in history epic choke job, things would've been much more challenging for FAU. Purdue beats FDU 99 times out of 100. Purdue beats FAU 8 times out of 10.

Doesnt matter. FAU did what they had to do, and are just as dangerous as anyone this weekend. But if you look at the 8/9 second round matchup history vs 1 seeds history, you will understand what Im talking about.

Reaction Score
If UConn spanked the team that beat Kansas they'd beat Kansas. That's how the transitive property works, right?
yes and we'd beat the team that gonzaga beat. jk. i know it's all about matchups but i think we match up well against KU and UCLA. altho bona missed the zags game idk if he woulda been available in the elite 8.

Reaction Score
I think San Diego State and Miami could do that again. They earned their spots, They are both 5 seeds and conference winners. Anyone 5 seed or above isn't a cinderella story it's a contender.

FAU earned their spot as well, played great all season, played great all tourney obviously. But if Purdue doesnt pull an only 2nd time in history epic choke job, things would've been much more challenging for FAU. Purdue beats FDU 99 times out of 100. Purdue beats FAU 8 times out of 10.

Doesnt matter. FAU did what they had to do, and are just as dangerous as anyone this weekend. But if you look at the 8/9 second round matchup history vs 1 seeds history, you will understand what Im talking about.
Memphis and FAU were under seeded. To have to face each other was an injustice. I picked FAU over Purdue, I was not that impressed by purdue, b10 just tends to under perform under the bright lights....

Reaction Score

Yeah, I was not implying it was luck NOR that any team doesn't deserve to be exactly where they are. Merely that UConn, thru first two weekends is playing at a level where it wins a much larger percentage of the time.

So if you simulated aka theoretically replayed the tournament you'd naturally have many different outcomes and the 'favorites' would emerge more often. Yet you play each game, only the winner advances and every team knows that. The teams & players that step-up to that pressure and thrive in that environment advance. Those teams are in the Final Four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom