If Rutgers-style crap happened in Storrs, would Malloy back Herbst? | The Boneyard

If Rutgers-style crap happened in Storrs, would Malloy back Herbst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chris Christie's apparent backing of the buffoonish Rutgers president and administration is a little baffling. I say apparent because for all we know he has read Barchi the riot act behind closed doors and is trying to pave the road for a graceful exit.

If a similar series of events had happened up here I'd like to think Malloy would be a lot harder on Herbst. Not a Malloy fan but don' t think he'd sit by and do nothing after four embarrassments within a space of six months.

Reaction Score
Chris Christie's apparent backing of the buffoonish Rutgers president and administration is a little baffling. I say apparent because for all we know he has read Barchi the riot act behind closed doors and is trying to pave the road for a graceful exit.

If a similar series of events had happened up here I'd like to think Malloy would be a lot harder on Herbst. Not a Malloy fan but don' t think he'd sit by and do nothing after four embarrassments within a space of six months.

I don't think so. You have so much more invested in the success of a Prez than the athletics program. That being said, someone ran the hiring process, and that person needs to be looked at. Frankly, the Eddie Jordan thing is just as bad as the AD hiring. It's hard to believe that happened as "an honest error." Someone lied.

Reaction Score
There is significantly more in play than the Athletic Department with regards to Barchi. He was selected to shepard the integration on the University of Dental/Medical School of New Jersey into Rutgers. Huge undertaking - it would spiral out of control if they plucked him out now and costs millions and millions and millions more than the $75m already projected. My sense is that is the only thing keeping him employed right now. He's gone as soon as the merge is closer to completion.

Reaction Score
I agree. The only reason that Barchi still has a job is because of the risk changing the CEO of Rutgers in the middle of its very complicated merger/reorganization with UNJMD, which is very unpopular with Rutgers faculty and students (who believe rightly so that they will bear the cost of the merger). If it fails, it would be a hug black eye to the political future of one very ambitious Governor.
I also think the only reason that Hermann has not already been axed is because of money. Rutgers cannot afford to buy her out.
There are a lot of people who want Tim Pernetti back because 1) he bleeds Rutgers, 2) he engineered Rutgers into the B1G, and 3) while he is not 100% innocent with respect to the Rice fiasco, Barchi basically threw him under the bus and then stepped on the gas. I actually met Tim at a social event a few weeks back and I was too polite to ask him about his resignation, we did have a quick chat about realignment. Seems like a smart, nice guy who loves sports.
As for Malloy, if he was in the same position as Christie, he would do the same thing.

Reaction Score
I agree. The only reason that Barchi still has a job is because of the risk changing the CEO of Rutgers in the middle of its very complicated merger/reorganization with UNJMD, which is very unpopular with Rutgers faculty and students (who believe rightly so that they will bear the cost of the merger). If it fails, it would be a hug black eye to the political future of one very ambitious Governor.
I also think the only reason that Hermann has not already been axed is because of money. Rutgers cannot afford to buy her out.
There are a lot of people who want Tim Pernetti back because 1) he bleeds Rutgers, 2) he engineered Rutgers into the B1G, and 3) while he is not 100% innocent with respect to the Rice fiasco, Barchi basically threw him under the bus and then stepped on the gas. I actually met Tim at a social event a few weeks back and I was too polite to ask him about his resignation, we did have a quick chat about realignment. Seems like a smart, nice guy who loves sports.
As for Malloy, if he was in the same position as Christie, he would do the same thing.

I think they only have to pay her if she can prove Rutgers was aware of "baggage" when the offer was made. If Rutgers knew, everyone but Herman should be fired.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Tim Pernetti should be treated like a god in New Jersey. He somehow, someway convinced very smart people that Buttgers is both relevant and competitive in sports.

Reaction Score
I think the whole thing at Rutgers is a non issue because....well....it's Rutgers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Maybe Malloy would make a move, but not because it would be the right thing to do. He would only make a move if there was something in it for him.

Reaction Score
Maybe Malloy would make a move, but not because it would be the right thing to do. He would only make a move if there was something in it for him.

He's a politician. He would do exactly what Krispy (Kreme) is doing; wet his finger, see which way the wind is blowing then, if a particular action projected as being wildly popular, act. Otherwise, he'd hide in his office until things "blow over."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom